Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that term applied to custom stocks and wondered what it meant. Are there other fills?

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Yep. I believe McMillan has three different "standard" fills, and does combinations as well. Basically, it is the density and corresponding weight of the fiberglass "foam" they fill the stock with. Sniper fill is the heaviest of the bunch..

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above. ?
Nate.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, there may not be an "official" name for it, but McMillan knows exactly what a sniper fill is, in fact, the stocks with sniper fill come with "sniper" stamped on the inside of the barrel channel. The "sniper" fill is more dense and heavy, and if you plan on torquing your barreled action down to 65 inch-pounds, then you better get the sniper fill. If you do not, you will crush the interior of the stock when torquing it down. (Don't ask me how I know this).

MEL

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Pillar bedding will take care of the torque crushing so anyone with a standard fill stock don't worry. Just have it pillar bedded.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Mel, how hard should I torq the action onto that A-5?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
taylorism said:
Mel, how hard should I torq the action onto that A-5?
According to McMillan, they saw no difference with anything from 30-70 in-lbs, just make sure the front and back are the same. If you do not have pillars I would just go with 45 and call it good.

MEL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts