Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place to post this stuff... anyway I'm totally new into getting into rifle shooting (well not all that new here is my input).

Here is my shooting experience, I took JROTC in HS for 4 years and was very forunate to be able to shoot with a Springfiled bolt action rifle (unsure of the exact model) for target competition and marksmanship bages. I did this 6+ times over my HS JROTC experience (went to camp Blanding over near Orlando, FL for summer camp) and let me tell you it was a hell of an experience. Everything from the wake call of the NCO's getting your ass up at 0500 in the morning, to repelling, to our drill exercises, and a final PT in the night to wear the living hell out of us before we go to bed (I'm still considering either the Army or the USMC (for the M40A1's :wink: although those sniping rifles are being slowly retired with A3's)). I'm am 21 and in superior shape. I got involved in loads of HS sports 4 yrs. Cross Country, 2 yrs. Track, 1 yr Tennis, 2 years Soccer. Was in Color Guard for a year and Drill Team for a 1/2 year. I believe I can still join either service until I'm the age 26 as I'm still considering (I am currently in college right now majoring Computer Science 2 yr degree). My intentions of joining the army are obvious as you and I are well aware but I'm am also well aware that I need to start out as a grunt and excell at marksmanship before I can tooken into consideration by my supreriors to go through sniper trainning (along with the rest of qualificaiton load)

Anyway like you mele... every computer code monkey is into PC/video games. Well I'm kind of out dated on what the latest games are out there (not much of a hardcore gamer as I use to be) as I'm focusing more on learning different programming languages. But here is a game I would definetly recommend you playing (I'm sure that the ballistics on the game is what you are looking for) Battlefield Vietnam. Of course if you played any of the military EAGames (i.e. 1942, BFV etc.) you'll already know what I'm talking about :).

Aside from all the junk I just typed out every since I played BFV. I have all of a sudden came down with a euphoric spell regarding my interests in sniping, long range tatics/tatics in general, rifle techinicalities & components, outdoor survival etc. Falling in love with the Remington 700 M40 bolt action sniper rifle used in Vietnam.

Now leaning more toward the educational side of rifle shooting (i.e. terminology, rifle components, ballistic mathematics (MOA's etc.), various models, proper care of your rifle etc. etc. etc.). I hope to fully educate myself on how to properly use a rifle & sniper rifle before I decide to purchase one. As you are obviously aware the type of rifle I plan on first purchasing is an M40A1 blueprinted to its exact orginally (hopefully a true M40A1 USMC orginal :p yeah right). I can probably purchase this at remington's website and I'm sure that these models are not that expensive. I have always been a standards kind of guy (so I'm am not looking any gadget based sniper rifle) in other words I am looking exactly for this particular rifle (with the 5 bullet internal mag. feature :p). Aside from the your "books" page I was checking out, various other sides on the M40 (and its subclass models), and the forums here, my primary questions to all this jargon is.

1) Do you think you can recommend me any OTHER sites or books regarding learning the basic prototype of any rifle from the ground up (components, terminology etc.)

2) Any sites or books regarding the technically behind the M40 (configurations, maybe a way to give an M40 a suppessor)

3) Any personal insight or experience with using the M40

4) Any possible M40 purchasing deals you are aware of (I might end up doing your $10 yearly subscription)

4) Any other tips, advice, tricks on getting into sniping/rifle shooting for noobs

Any information would be great, to get started I will proceed with getting several books you listed on your website

Many thanks for any info and sorry for all the jargon
CKC

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just to let you know for future refrence Remington does not sell a variant of the M40A1. But I can recommend a book about snipping and about rifles. I would higly recommend The Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know of any companies that produces a variant of the M40A1. I'm sure that theres got to be one out there somewhere

Can you give me any additional book info regarding to the OTHER books you mentioned. I do plan on getting the Ulitmate Sniper: Adv. Training book as you mentioned

Any info will help
CkC

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well I know of Ed Brown that makes a very good variant of the A1 but it is not to exact specs (mainly the big difference is they use their own action not a 700). Tac Ops makes a variant also, but again not to exact specs. http://www.TexasBrigadeArmory.com is the closest duplicate of the original that I have seen. And I'm sure Mel would be able to make one to specs. But of course all of these are high dollar rifles. There is no $1,000 special, or if Mel can find away to do it that cheaply.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Another company that makes them as well is GA Precision. You can check out the following link for a limited run rifle they are putting out.

http://www.snipersparadise.com/sniperstore/gasp2005/gasp.htm

That being said, I would talk to Mel if you want to get a non-spec M40A1 clone. I am sure he could get you one that has the same 1/2 moa guarentee for a fair amount less money. The SC1 with the McMillan M40A1 would be a very nice rifle. You could get it without the bolt handle mod that Mel puts on and it would be a nice clone.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JRP3 said:
Another company that makes them as well is GA Precision. You can check out the following link for a limited run rifle they are putting out.

http://www.snipersparadise.com/sniperstore/gasp2005/gasp.htm

That being said, I would talk to Mel if you want to get a non-spec M40A1 clone. I am sure he could get you one that has the same 1/2 moa guarentee for a fair amount less money. The SC1 with the McMillan M40A1 would be a very nice rifle. You could get it without the bolt handle mod that Mel puts on and it would be a nice clone.

John
Thanks for the website boss

Again any more info will help
CkC

·
Registered
522 Posts
LongShot,

I would recomend GA Precision. George and his gang are awesome! They are simply one of the best smiths and will not dissapoint you.

Plus their turnaround is great as well. Give George a Call, tell him I sent you, he might remember me since I bugged him a lot for a while :lol:

Sorry Mel. But in my defense, you don't make M40 clones. 8)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes a vote for GA, he has a former USMC amorer that works for him by the name of Terry Cross. He'll make you a m40a3 to exact specs.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you want to go cheap (ie. less than $1000) try to find a Remington 5R milspec barreled rifle. It is not the same, but it is getting close and for a +/- $800 rifle it is worth it. Personaly I would go with the Remington 700P rifle for $699 (and they keep a good resale value as well). If you get serious then upgrade to a GAs rifle or one of Mels. There are lots and lots of custom rifle builders out there, chances are there is a smith close to you that will build one too. Its good to get in close with a GOOD smith.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
For an exact clone, your best bet is texas brigade armory. I believe they will do a M40 or M40A1 clone. For a super high quality rifle the GA rifles are great, and they can get just as close to a real M40A1 as TBA. GA really does great work, as others have already specified.

The standard SC1A1 (without the bolt handle mod) would be pretty close and would pass as a semi-clone. Price would be the $1500. I could get even closer with a winchester floor plate and a few of the other mods, but that jacks up the price and puts it right with the TBA's and GA's.

MEL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can anyone give me GA's webiste before I consider TBA

Thanks
CkC

·
Registered
383 Posts
http://www.gaprecision.net/

I'd call the boys down here in Tejas though. Thier version of the M40A1 is 100 bucks cheaper, and I feel TBA is a better product (I think all thier weapons will benchrest @ 1/4" MOA). The TBA M40A3 is 3300.

Keep in mind a rifle like these are pretty usless without optics, they dont have iron sights ;)

Grab an SC1 and good scope, you will be set. No sense in gettin a TBA for your first tac-rifle. But to each his own.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I second Subs suggestion.

If you pick up an SC rifle, you will be set plus you wont break the bank and be able to spend some good coin on quality glass which you will need in order to do any of these rifles justice. :wink:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
SpEcTeR said:

If you pick up an SC rifle, you will be set plus you wont break the bank and be able to spend some good coin on quality glass which you will need in order to do any of these rifles justice. :wink:
good sound advice!! (use the extra money to buy reloading equipment)

·
Registered
383 Posts
caver101 said:
SpEcTeR said:

good sound advice!! (use the extra money to buy reloading equipment)
You could get *good* optics, an SC1 and reloading equipment for the price of a TBA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with whoever suggested the 5r milspec. I purchased one simply for the amazing performance out of the box and the ability to do modifications to allow it to surpass many top market rifles. The 700 action is solid too. I could whine about head space but if i did that it would be every rifle. I actually just sent word in for a Accuracy international stock. Nothing wrong with mcmillan, but i would chose ai over that in a heartbeat. Reloading is a solid idea also, i just produced my first batch of handload bullets today myself. And i have never seen anyone on the same level of accurate as those guys at the range (Hand loaders). Old mosin nagants and springfields can be near as accurate as a m40 properly loaded. If you want a sniper rifle and not just a cost effective and combat worthy reproduction, then build your rifle and dont decide all the parts and peices until you have tried some. Your list of changes WILL be different.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Only 3 years later.... :?

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
mele said:
The standard SC1A1 (without the bolt handle mod) would be pretty close and would pass as a semi-clone. Price would be the $1500. I could get even closer with a winchester floor plate and a few of the other mods, but that jacks up the price and puts it right with the TBA's and GA's.

MEL
Sorry for the hijack guys but,

Mel, are you building SC1's again? :D

Rigger

1 - 19 of 19 Posts