Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this on another forum. It is supposed to be footage of snipers in Afganistan. Some folks on the Forum think it is just someone shooting furry critters. I'm not sure, but one looks like I can see a severd arm flying through the air. you be the judge.

http://merlin41.homestead.com/files/nastymeds.wmv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
they aren't shooting people - least not with anything less than a .338 / 50 . from personal experience in the sand box i never saw anyone fly away like that from a hit with my m14... anyone else?

·
Registered
307 Posts
A .308 contains the energy to move someone back all of a few inches. Maybe 2 or 3. You see the same thing with a deer. When it's hit, it flinches, and runs, then drops. It does not EXPLODE INTO SEVERAL PIECES. So no, it's not a video of a .308 shooting people. A .50, well, that's a bit more likely, but that doesn't explain why things go flying STRAIGHT up into the air. Backwards, sure, down, yes, in the case of the arm, opposite direction and to the left, no, unless shooter and filmer are in different places, which really proves to the fact that it isn't snipers shooting.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It almost looks like some sort of HE round. Not just the body parts, but the way the dust kicks up. :?:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
ekaphoto said:
It almost looks like some sort of HE round. Not just the body parts, but the way the dust kicks up. :?:
Yes, a HE round would be the only thing I can think of to make something come apart like that.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Recoil said:
I've ... seen fluid and tissue fly ... like that ... from head shots or point blank shots during which the muzzle is in contact with the individual.
Recoil, you ought to be on MTV's "True Story: I'm an ATF Agent".

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Head shots with a 308 will make a head come apart like that, the overpressurization of the cranial cavity due to the spinning of the bullet and the actual energy dumped off the round will leave a not so hollywood exit wound.

It only takes 1200psi to crack open a skull, im assuming a 450 grain bullet would carry that much out to 800 yards and farther if pushed to the right velocity.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
that is one of the weirdest things i saw in my life-----my first impression was a .50

dom

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
You know what, that's a weird thing. Sometimes I've seen heads pop (deer) and sometimes they don't. 300 Savage with a 180 grain round nose did it, 300 win mag with a bonded round didn't. Depends where you hit them and with that.

Those are P-dogs in the video, they popped up at another forum as Taliban being hit by 50 cals but someone linked to the website the video was taken from.

I'll dig it up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
One thing im noticing is once the sound of the rifle is heard, the target is hit. Not much of a delay.

The 3rd shot, from what I see its pointing at a small ball of some sort.

I never hit a live target, but I serisoiuly doubt a normal round would make the pieces of a target go flying like 2-3 yards up in the air. It has to be a HE round, or the targets have some type of detinated explosives in them when hit.

NOw the first shot, that thing that flew up had to have been almost a yard wide. I would say it was an explosion, but It cant be because of the sound delay.

The third shot was moving, so I think it was a P dog.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go to www.rmvh.com and be amazed. It's two guys who made a varmint video. I have them both, and is very good quality.

I have seen this tread on several forums, and still pepole belive its Talibanis getting shot. Its either a rock chuck, or some other critter living in the mountains. We don't have these animals in Norway, so I'm not sure.

They are shooting 6mmAckley, 75grain V-max. Spectacular hits, even more so on praire dogs!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yup, that was the link, thanks Northman. It's P-dogs

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you could help. I thought it was a little wierd. On the other hand it shows you what precision shooting can do. A prarie dog is like taking a head shot on a human, and these guys were making some good shots.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I didnt think prairie dogs lived at elevations that high. I presumed they were flat ground dwellers.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ok, I am not a geologist here, but...that dont exactly look like any terrain over in Afghanistan. The grey rocks with the green moss on them kinda gave it away as something from the mid west or the like. Whoever said it was Taliban being shot is either FOS, or they have recently released taliban from Gitmo into the midwest to be shot. If this is so, I have my 7mm Rem Mag good to go, where do I sign up???! :!: :twisted: :D

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yea those deffinitly arnt people they are shooting, its prarie dogs and things like that. Ive seen pics and video's of people being shot by .308's and .50's ect and it isnt that dramatic of a wound.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts