Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, doing a paper and I need to know what math is used in sniping. Is there anything besides the mil dot formula? What about your ghillie? Thanks guys :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Just with the scope, you need cartesian planes cause you're crosshairs are X-Y co-ordinates, and your bullet's trajectory is a parabolic arch, so talkin about those would be cool.

Then there's wind, and time of flight, direction, that could be vectors, I think....Muzzle velocity and energy are kinetics, but those are more physics.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
How detailed do you want to go with this is the main question. Are you just talking about the physics of the bullet trajectory after exiting the barrel? If you want to keep it "simple" that would probably be the best choice. Otherwise you would have to get into alot of thermodynics and numerous other categories due to the actual explosion that propels the bullet down the tube, chemistry, etc.

What level schooling is the paper for? You could still get a fairly lengthy paper from just terminal ballistics standpoint. You could make it more complicated seeming by using the actual derivitive equations used in physics for figuring out trajectory, or you could also use some of the "cheater" type equations that already have the derivitives perfomed on them for certain situations.

I probably still have both versions floating around somewhere if you wanted them, however it may take awhile to find them as there have been a few presidents and a couple of wars since I last looked at them.

John

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Algebra... Triganometry... Calculas... are pretty basic when you get into the high end of sniping.

BC

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aight guys, thanks. I dont need to be very specific. Only the math end is needed but I might add some physics. So basicly all I need to know is external and maby terminal ballistics?
Alright, calc and trig? I havnt taken calc in math but I done trig. The only trig I seen was SIN COS TAN, that area. Could you give an example?

:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Algebra... Triganometry... Calculas... are pretty basic when you get into the high end of sniping.

BC
:roll: :lol: It's even simpler to spell Trigonometry.... (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Aren't all the maths able to be done for you in software available these days such as HorusVision and the like? Not everyone has the time or resources available to do the requisite training right?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You can short-cut some of the process with technology (like my Palm Pilot and Ballistics software), but experience and knowledge of the way your load responds to certain weather conditions is critical to taking an important shot quickly. Most software programs do no allow for input on humidity or altitude. Some, like mine, can be pre-programed with multiple scenarios to accomodate the changes. I have ballistics tables set up for different temperatures and humidity levels at the altitude that I normally shoot.

JeffVN

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The best way to short cut all of the math is to maintain a very detailed log book. There is no comparison

MEL

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Hey Mele,
I just had a great idea for the member's section...
Logbooks!

You could scan a few pages from various Sniper's books and let the rest of us in on the thought process and observation of some great shooting minds.

Just a thought.

Anyone else interested?

-snowy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts