Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like Mel, every once in awhile a canary whispers things in my ear. Recently one told me that Sig is going to be releasing a civilian version in 2006 of the 551.

John

·
Registered
565 Posts
Er... I dunno about the US - but here in Europe there's been a semi-auto 551 and 551 SWAT for years and years. They're technically illegal in Norway due to their short barrel. Heck, the LB version is half an inch too short to be legal...talk about nitpicking.

Even the 552 is sold as a civi semi-auto...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They need to be manufactured in the US in order to have them sold here. The long barrel on the 551 is a half inch short here as well. I'm sure they will just incorporate a little longer, permanently attached, flash suppressor to make it legal.

John

·
Registered
565 Posts
Oh, alright...heh..it's a bit of a paradox that you can buy fully auto everything else - but not a Swiss rifle :p Oh well. I still want one. Bad. But, they're hard to get, incredibly expensive...and they have a **** trigger which is next to impossible to improve. So it'd be mostly a fun-gun... and expensive fun-gun.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard they were shooting for under $2k, around $1800 as far as price goes.

John

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
That sounds like a good price.... I'd actually take a look at one if they were priced around there.

MEL

·
Registered
44 Posts
From what I've read on AR15.com, SIG Arms USA would like to manufacture those rifles in the US but SIG Switzerland says no.......

·
Registered
271 Posts
SIG USA wants em. SwissArms from switzerland says no way. end of story. ORF was thinking of building clones, but EXPENSIVE. 3,500 for a rifle last I remember.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Voldermortist said:
SIG USA wants em. SwissArms from switzerland says no way. end of story.
I am not saying that what I heard will undoubtably end up being true, but the birdy that told me beleived it to be so. And he/she is in a better postion of knowing these things than I.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts