Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, seriously... there are several of us here every single day. Pick one, promote them to moderator status, so they can ban spammers. Otherwise, upgrade your new user authentication. I've been using a stand-alone bot killer to avoid spammer registrations and have not had one spam instance in 2 years.

Primal Rights ? User Control Panel ? Register

Go there and click "agree" and you'll be met with my spam prevention. Only a human can answer a question of which the answer is not available in code or can be interpreted via image recognition hacks. If they ever do learn the answer, I'll simply change the question and I'll be good for years more. If that fails to work, I simply change the file name of that question... and it will take years more.

Whatever you do, Mr forum administrators... please do something, or this forum will die a slow death.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Having been a forum admin twice, I will offer one bit of advise... Set up the forum so that the user has to be approved before their posts are released.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like the 7 second rule, like Janet Jackson and the Super bowl....Really, a delay to give a chance for someone to check the validity of the poster. Seems like ther is always an admin online.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
There's plenty of admins...the question is: are they doing anything?

The answer for me is no.

I am in the middle of rifle season, and have 1500 points to prepare for this weekend. I, for one, don't care to spend more time than this message right here on dealing with spam or filters...indeed, other than just manually deleting them and blocking, I can't affect changes on authentication.

I don't own the site, and it appears that the guys that do own the site have some issues to work on. Send them messages.

...back to patching the rifle.

-Nate

Edit: And Greg, though you contribute a lot to the forum and are clearly willing, granting a moderatorship to a sponsor is a conflict of interest.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I realize that. So who are we suppose to be sending messages to? How do we contact them?

The admins currently in place clearly don't have the time or inclination to do anything about it regularly... so the choices are pretty simple. Get new mods, or fix the authentication requirements for new users.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I would be willing to take on the role of spam cop if, and only if, the site owner is willing to up the security as I have proposed. The problem is, to do that sort of thing requires the moderator to have admin access to the users which is a lot more authority than the owner may be willing to grant.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Yes I realize that. So who are we suppose to be sending messages to? How do we contact them?

The admins currently in place clearly don't have the time or inclination to do anything about it regularly... so the choices are pretty simple. Get new mods, or fix the authentication requirements for new users.
If you can use the 'report post' feature -- that would be great. Anytime anyone sees spam they should use this feature and we can get to them right away. Its the icon under someones username next to their post that looks like an exclamation mark inside the triangle. That will send an email to the entire team and we'll nuke it right away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts