Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a "rookie" question but I'm still learning here, what classifies a rifle as "sporter"??

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
53 Posts
Iam learning with ya buddy! :)

I think a sporter rifle is a rifle just meant for hunting, and doesnt really have all that great of accuracy (2 MOA or so), sometimes light (?). These rifles are there for the hunter who only shoots a few boxes of ammo through their rifle a year, unlike the people who shoot competetions and use hundreds of rounds a year! They are also normally cheaper.

Correct me anyone, if iam wrong on something because iam not 100% sure on all of this!

StealTh

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Sporter meaning a sportsman rifle. Someone who uses it mainly for hunting.

There is no hard set of rules that make something a sporter or tactical or varmint rifle. But things you will "normally" find on a sporter rifle are lighter & thinner "sporter" weight barrels. Stocks that are slender and light in design, typically external sights, but that is becomming less and less common. Barrels generally do not exceed 24" also, but that too is not always the case any longer.

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Mel beat me to it, but just to add, sporter does not exclude sub MOA. The main thought behind a sporter rifle, is one that can be carried easily, while still allowing for reasonably powerful cartridges to be fired without being to brutal on the shooter. Most Sporters have a MonteCarlo style stock, slender light barrels, and very very nice finish.

That does not mean they wont shoot though. I will post a pic here of my mauser sporter to give you an idea. I will see if I still have a pic of the first group I fired with it. I will also try to get her out and shoot some groups later this week, I have to get to the range on Friday as I have another rifle that wil be ready to test by then, maybe two, so it will be a fun day that day.

Those groups are not great, but I had a good group going on the Remmy one, till I jumped when a guy cut loos right next to me with a short barreled M1A, but still its my fault not the rifle's. Clearly though the rifle will shoot as both are MOA.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If anyone hasn't seen the thread in the DIY where Mlammers built that rifle, check it out, it's well worth the reading.

Just to expand some more, when dealing with military syle rifles, "sporter" or "sporterized" means it has been converted to a more hunting style rifle. Almost always means the full length stock has been cut down, and any manner of other modifications could be made. Often sights, trigger, engraving work, rebarrel, anything.

If you ever see "sporterized mauser" being advertised, you'll see what Imean

·
Registered
145 Posts
My stock 1976 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 is an MOA capable rifle at 100 yards with 150gr Remington Core-Lokt. It may not look pretty after years of constant hunting, but it will shoot. It is a sporter rifle.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Brian,

Thanks, that is the first mauser I built my smith guided me through it, sometimes by phone other times in person. I used a Turk K Kale action and a Remmy take off barrel rethreaded to mauser threads. The barrel was off a 270 M700 I got for XMas when I was about 13. I used the 700 action to build a 308 for work use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts