Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have been reading your posts for a while. I know that bolt actions are accurate and great for long shots. But, I have been seeing a few photo's of our boys overseas using autos, ie. M1A's.

Is this a response to the face of warfare in the urban area? I know that Springfield makes a wonderful weapon, but what is the useful range of the M1.

Thanks guys.

Mike

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
A match m-14/M1A is supposed to be good out to 800m I believe.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It can go to 1000 if properly built, but it is not inexpensive to do, it requires much building, but I have talked to guys who shoot them as match guns to 1000.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
M1As are becomin more and more popular for urban warfare
they can be made plenty accurate, are very reliable and give the sniper more firepower than a bolt gun
the M25 should be accurate to about 800-1000y in the hands of a good sniper
a stock M-14 scoped should be accurate to 700-800y but in the hands of the expert, it could still probably go out further

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ok... first off lets not get the weapons confused. The M-1 is WW2 / Korean war and has a fixed 8 round en-block clip fed magazine. The M-1A is totally different... and the M-14 is the military rifle the M-1A is based off of... the M-1A is an M-14 minus the auto sear and disconector rod and selector.

There is a 3 page long post about the modern day M-14 DMR here including pics and information http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/vie ... 03&start=0 . It has info from myself and a few others i beleive... i carried an M-14 DMR in asscrackistan for 5 and a half months it has pics info ect ect go click on the link... and welcome to the Sniper Central forums!

Oh yea... the US Military has been using the M-14 DMR... M-21... and other scoped and accurized M-14 variants since the 1960's.

BC

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have an M1 Garand from WWII and it shoots great... to me its the most fun to shoot out of all my guns :lol:

if you want to find one for around $500 in very good (service Grade) condition
check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program online http://www.odcmp.com/Store.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts