• M24

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to settle an argument between some friends and me.

which is the better weapon overall between the Robar SR90 and the M24 SWS?

Im saying the SR90 but im not basing my opinion on a childish like but on facts.

SR90 has less weight, better ergonomics, is more reliable and definately more accurate.

Meanwhile the M24 has feeding problems related to the rifle being made so that it can be upgraded to .300 and then theres that incredibly useless front site. :roll:

Please keep all replies civil and try to base your opinions if not on experience then at least on statistics or analasys.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
well you are asking a tough question still a good question :)
ill ramble on for a bit, look at what i rambled on and come to a conclusion cause i dont know which is better yet!!!
they are both remington 700 actions
the SR90 has a McMillian stock, and M24 SWS has a HS stock, both are great stocks but i prefer the McMillian, HS is probably my 2nd most favorite manufacturer but certainately not because of the M24's stock
performance should be about the same, the M24 gets 1 moa with M118 ammo but it should do much better with M118LR or Match ammo, both rifles better be in the 1/4 moa range on average (with the right shooter of course) and not have any that shoot above 1/2 moa
the SR90 is a little bit lighter, teh M24 is a bit heavier, this would be a plus for the M24 with me because i prefer a heavier rifle i just shoot em better... just the SR90 is still heavy enough to keep very stable
the M24's long action is a negative for it but i dont think its a reliability killer if you push the rounds all the way back dont forget that some of the worlds best snipers are feeding this rifle they know how to do it the right way, still its a pain to have a long action on a .308 i think
the front site is useless but i dont see how it hurts any
ok i think i came to a conclusion, gotta agree with ya, SR90, probably because of the stock, and having the right sized action

·
Registered
777 Posts
Well, just from comparing the two, I'd have to say the SR90 is the superior rifle. The stock can essentially be custom fit to any shooter, and any optic. Also, the SR90 has a fluted barrel, a plus in my book, your opinion may vary.

However, as far as accuracy, I would say its a toss up. The M24 is a superbly accurate rifle, and I believe it has the 40X adjustable trigger mechanism as well, another plus. Also, the M24 has a 5R barrel, again, score one for the M24. The bad news as mentioned above is the pointlessness of putting a .308 in a long action, since the army will probably never upgrade to the 300 WM. As far as the back-up iron sights go, I could go either way.

Based on the "total package" the SR90 gets my vote by virtue of the stock. Thats it. If the M24 got a minor upgrade, to address action length, a more adjustable stock, and a recontoured grasping ball on the bolt (perhaps like a model 70, I don't care much for the standard remington ball) it would be the superior rifle, and as an aside, it would look better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
M40A3!!!...oh wait thats not a option :lol: . based on my limited experience and lack of first hand knowlage im gonna stay out of this one, but id be more than happy to add either weapon to my collection

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The M24 with factory match ammo is just as accurate, if not more, then the SR90. The 1 MOA comes from the M118. Match ammo easily acheived .5 MOA from my issued M24. The Front site on the M24 is useless until your scope breaks, then its the most useful thing on the rifle!! Better to have have a 7.62 with accurate palma sites than a 4 foot club :D I was surprised to get 1-1.5 MOA using the back sites at 100 meters, so they work fairly well.

Long action is livable. Just put the rounds all the way back, and it functions the same as normal. The US Army (SF guys) has indeed converted a good number of M24's to .300WM, so it wasn't a waste to use the long action, just a waste for the poor bloody infantry that doesn't get the .300 WM.

SR90 is a good rifle, as is the M24. M24 is a better military issued rifle, the SR90 is a more custom rifle. Not exactly a apple to apple comparison. If I were buying a personal rifle, the Sr90 would probably be a the choice, if I were buying a rifle to equip an army, the M24 would probably be my choice.

MEL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for all of your replies I think yall have answered my question. I suppose it depends on the circumstances and the shooter. in some cases and with some shooters its the SR90 hands down. While with others you cant beat the M24.

So its not an issue of "which is better" but an issue of "which is better for what situation"

thanx guys. :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
best rifle

A point that seems to be missed is that an M24 is a MASS (SOMEWHAT ) PRODUCED FACTORY RIFLE AND th SR 90 is a custom built rifle so a noted above its not an apple to apple comparison as a factory job the M24 is outstanding and have to agree the M40a1/3 series compares very well ,remember its a Military designed rifle not a true custom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts