Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Stalking, whats the best way to aviod cruching leaves besides trying not to walk through them, cause sooner or later u will have nowhere else to go but through the leaves. How do u do it?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Can't help ya out, but I would say this belongs under SOP.

EDIT: just re-read this and realized maybe it seemed kinda harsh...NOT my intention, I just thought it might be misplaced. Should make a interesting thread though!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If you go through dry leaves they are going to drunch. There are no magic solutions. The best you can do is walk slowly, either on tippy toes, or roll your feet when you step starting on the outside of the heelto front and outside to in. Get a book on bow hunting and practice stalking deer for practice. If no deer are around try the neighbors cat etc. Watch out if you stalk strange dogs, they may bite.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm no expert stalker, but when I hit dry leaves I just move extra slow. I put my forearm out and slowly compress the leaves.

I lift my body with my arm, then I move my drag bag slowly forward.
After that, I slowly let my chest lower onto the leaves. I like a lot of cover on my forearm so I can hide my face in it.

After you come to a complete stop listen for anything that may have heard you.

Then I peek out over my forearm and start the process over again. Be careful your ghillie doesn't clash. Green grass isn't found very often in vast areas of brown leaves.

I'm sure Mele could answer this better than I.

-snowy

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

When the aim is to move silently, you should walk on the sides of your feet, rolling from heel to little toe.

Of course, you have to find a balance between walking silently, and walking swiftly. There is no point in being silent if you don't make it to point B in time.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Re: re

Yimmy said:
When the aim is to move silently, you should walk on the sides of your feet, rolling from heel to little toe.

Of course, you have to find a balance between walking silently, and walking swiftly. There is no point in being silent if you don't make it to point B in time.
i'd trip :lol: my advise is move extra slow on your belly

dom

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
If it's still early, look for shaded areas. Leaves still wet from dew will make less noise than leaves that have dried in the sun.

Since you said stalking, I'm assuming you mean with ghillie and full load out correct?

-snowy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Tricky...

What I do is I move slowly. Im talking about a few inches every now and then so the observer mistakes that as natural (if he is that smart). Its like when you KNOW u made a lot of noise that kinda sounds un natural, i stop, look, and listen for a few minutes and to let the observer pass the area ( or look away). ALways assume someone is watching you.
i aint no Scout/Sniper yet, but I have 'war games' and also stalking deer. Hell, a few days ago I was walking by my treeline and I just had my BDU jacket on with my boonie that had grass on it, and I came across a 4-way and I stopped, and long behold a 6 point buck was at my 11. He started to come my way but I backed out and carried on with what I was doing.

But anyways, once you make a noise that sounds diliberate to the observer, STOP RIGHT AWAY. Then carry on after you asses the AO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts