Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all im 16 and from ny, i am extreamly intrested in sniping and sniper realated material, i dont have my own rifle yet, but i use a friends .308 and on to my question, is there anythigns i can do know, to get better, buy the time im old enough to be in the service or police force? and i hope to buy a tac-ops lima 51 soon, or when ever i get money, with a us optics scope or a leapoulde, and tips or help would be greaty appreashited, and if you dont know by now but i cant spell to save my life, but i can shoot, good.
thanks for your time
ALEx :twisted:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I do believe, practice, practice, practice narrows it down to what it's all about.

Sure, some theory doesn't hurt. But theory alone is just theory and the best thing it can do in a stressfull situation is overload an already overloaded mind.

I wish I could buy a Tac-Ops...but that's not very likely. Taxes and shipping would most likely put the final price at some $5-6000... Then again, I guess I don't really need one - but still... :(

Having never had a Mk4 between my hands..I'd still say go for USO if you can fork up the dough. I would've (or more likely a S&B PM/II) if it hadn't been for a certain man's rules about "military" gadgets :roll: Name one European USO dealer.

Anyway, I'm too fresh to have anything sensible info to give you :) But practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
id reccomend your first rifle be a little less expensive, say a Remington 700P or even a Sniper Central SC1 which i believe to be an excellent rifle for the cost, made on this site too

the Leupold Mk4 is a great scope line, dont have a USO or ever used them but from what i hear they are the ultimate custom scopes, Leupolds cant really beat USO in anything but price

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, in that note, what other rifles, would you reccomend, im also a fan of the tak-ops, tango 51 , or should i still go lower than that?
thanks alex

·
Registered
292 Posts
hey i have a question?were do u get the money for a tac ops? i am also 16 and i ahve a job and dont ahve newhere near 5-6 grand...wanna know somethin gay..thats how much i make a year if id ont spend ne and i still pay taxes...

to answer your question i would definetly start out with something a lil lower and less costly...like a 700p or 700ltr in caliber of your choice..but if this is your first gun you will be shooting exensively u shouldnt buy anything larger then a .308...as you will prrly develop strong flinching from the magnum calibers....

and scope why dont you consider that being a lil less costly foryour first tactical..like a 10X bushnell elite teactical

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i get the money, by saving, and selling my old things, so i have enough to get teh lima 51 and the us optics scope, but i wana get imput from other people so i dont buy the weong stuff
ALEx

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, if you have the money, then buying a Lima and a USO scope, you will not be buying the wrong stuff! Both of those products are at the very top of the "Good stuff" pile. You can also look at the Mk4 LR scopes from leupold, Schmit & Bender Scopes, Zeiss Optics, and for rifles, Patriot Arms, Chandler (Iron Brigade Armory), AI, etc.

Why don't you tell us a little more about the type of shooting you want to be using the setup for, what type of country, and what your shooting experience consists of, then we can help give some more pointers.

Be sure to check out the faq section on the web page
http://www.snipercentral.com/faq.htm

and also look at the book section
http://www.snipercentral.com/books.htm

While practice is king, books do help present the theories that you need to practice. About the best "beginners" book is the "Ultimate Sniper" by Col. Plaster. For those that are experienced, the book has a lot of fluff, but it is good for the entry level guy

MEL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would be doing, a lot of target/ range shooting, also some hunting, and possible, my friend has a lot of land, and almost a stocking area, with a steel target, mostley that type of shooting, and i was wournding, i was reading a mag. called S.W.A.T you all most likley read it, but it was this year and they had an arttical on shoothing throught glass, and they had tifles from a place, but i forgot the site name,because i cant find the mag. they were built on an AI chassie, also, with books, could the tell you how to find range's and all thet info?
thanks for all the help s far
ALex

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Heh Trials-guy......

Mel is spot-on!.....

If you are very serious about this and intend trying for a professional career in the future, AND..........

you have the money to buy a "top of the pile" rifle and optics.....
then go for it!

To start with a top-end rifle and optics.......and continue with that same rifle over many years......is a solid way to become VERY proficient.

As they say........"Beware the man with one gun!"

PS...at the price they want for them I'm sure they would throw in a good quality dictionary........ :wink:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Many places make rifles with AI stocks. You're going to have to get more specific than that. It should be possible, with your parent's permission, to enlist at the age of 17, so that is one way. But, like most are saying, save up your money, and buy a rifle, if you are serious about being a professional. Knowing what you are doing is good and all, but without the practical experience, you aren't going to be able to hit ****.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Trials-guy........

whatever you buy..........worst case senario is...... you give it all up (and go kyaking)..........good condition used rifles are quite saleable.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yep. But I only "accepted" the AICS 1.5 because it would take 6 months to get a McMillan Winchester Marksman and only 2-3months for a 1.5... Not that I regret my choice. But I still want that Winchester Marksman...a pity I have to explain it to the police why I "need" a second rifle :roll: Stupid Norway....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you all for all the help so far, i am realy gratefull, also how good is a A.I AE series rifle? also, say i get the lima, and the us optics scope, what would some of the other things i would need, i know a few of the basics, but what else would there be?( binos, shoters log,drag bag, and that is all i can think of right know)
thanks once again
ALex :twisted:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the things you mentioned couldnt hurt
also cleaning supplies- if you get a Tac Ops and invest all that money you better invest a little more to ensure you care for the gun properly :)
a bi-pod- harris doesnt go for that much money i think there good bi-pods a lot of people like Parker Hale bi-pods which are pritty good too but more money

·
Registered
994 Posts
Kiwi said:
a good quality dictionary
Amen, brother.

Scatch "Reading Rainbow Served a Purpose" Maroo

·
Registered
565 Posts
trialsryder001 said:
thank you all for all the help so far, i am realy gratefull, also how good is a A.I AE series rifle? also, say i get the lima, and the us optics scope, what would some of the other things i would need, i know a few of the basics, but what else would there be?( binos, shoters log,drag bag, and that is all i can think of right know)
thanks once again
ALex :twisted:
This is my opinion, and might not be worth a whole lot - but, the AE isn't cheap. It's cheap compared with the AW and AWP - but compared to other rifles capable of the same accuracy, it's still fairly expensive. The thing is that the AE is designed for lawenforcement and such, which don't need the sturdiness of the AW and AWP, and will rarely be used at ranges past 600m. Therefor, I think that the same money put into a custom project will get you a better rifle. Fine, it wont be an Accuracy International...but to me, buying the cheapest Rolls Royce would be stupid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts