Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember which thread it was in, but Mel was looking for someone who had steel targets available.

http://www.snipershide.com/cgi-bin/ubbc ... p=2&r=actu

By the way Mel, please reply to my PM regarding those two SOG knives. :)

Scatch Maroo

Admin: This was made a sticky so I can easily find it later....

·
Registered
261 Posts
My dad was just asking me about steel targets for high powered rifles. I'm aware of the ones to use with pellet guns and .22's but what is out there that can handle a hit from a .308 or a 7mm? Something's just more fun when you get to hear the ding of your bullet at a long distance as opposed to looking through a spotting scope and seeing where you hit on the paper. If anyone knows where I can find some info I would appreciate it. The link in the first post is not working anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The link above has some. There are also several locations on the internet that sell them (shipping can be expensive because they are heavy). Search google for 'steel rifle silhouette targets' and you should get some hits

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You want to find some AR500 or Bernelle (SP?) 500 steel to make targets that will stand up to a 7mag and never shoot them closer than 200 yds if you want them to have a long life. There is nothing like shooting steel! I will get a pic up of the steel I acquired last Sunday from a heavy equipment mfg... for free as it was the scrap. You can also find Weballoy (sp?) it is the stuff grader blades are made out of... now that is some TOUGH stuff!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mele said:
The link above has some. There are also several locations on the internet that sell them (shipping can be expensive because they are heavy). Search google for 'steel rifle silhouette targets' and you should get some hits
Shipping for some of the ones listed in the link above are as cheap as $25 with the entire stand: I don't think any of them, shipped, come to more than $150 and they say you can use a 50 BMG at 700 yards without hurting the steel.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dude, don't buy steel targets!

Go down to your local scrap yard and have a look around, your garenteed to find some good stuff and if you pay anything it will be like $5 - $10. All you need to do is drill a couple of holes in them so you can hang them with some chain (Or nail them to a tree with a couple of bridge spikes), and give them a coat of white paint so you can easly see where your bullet hits, I recomend using bright red spray paint for your aiming mark as it shows up really well even on overcast days, just make a stencil out of paper and touching it up after shoots will be a 10 second job ;) .

A couple of weeks back i had a quick look around and found a couple of good steel plates, 2ftx1ftx13mm and 3.5ftx1.5ftx13mm. The big one i will really have to cut down because it weighs a ton. but the other one is ideal for a 500-600m target.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep, that is what I did with my current targets. But I would like some e-type silluettes of proper dimensions for upcoming schools/training.

MEL

·
Registered
535 Posts
I made my own steel target that so far has stood up to a 30-06 hit at 50 yards! I went to a local welding shop and had a 12inch circle cut out. Its about an inch thick! Its pretty heavy, but it does the job. I intended it to be a swinger, but its too heavy to swing. I made a stand that it hangs from out of 1 inch lead pipe. (shot a hole in the pipe the first time i shot at it from 500 yards!) Even though it dont swing, you can tell ya hit it from the "ping" it makes, and the dust(shrapnel) that comes from the bullett hitting it. I havent shot it with FMJ, and dont plan to. Before I made this target, I had one made that was only .5 inches thick. My dad's Rem. 700VS .308 punched several holes rights through it with hunting ammo. I probably could have saved money by buying a target, but I had more fun designing and building my own target. :D

·
Registered
2,549 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Roger that.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
lvshooter said:
Thanks for posting the pics.
That looks like one of my older models. The ones I make now have a little different hindge assembly and are welded all around. Either way they are 100% guaranteed.
No problem, can't wait to get my own. That thing rocks! :)

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I can highly recommend LVShooters targets also. I have one as do a few friends and they take the hits and work. Great target for the cash.

·
Registered
198 Posts
O.K. I'm a little late on this one, but you can also check ebay under steel targets.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It seems the links are both dead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts