Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm quite new to this forum, and I must say; it seems everyone has the latest and greatest toys you can get. The reason behind this post is to remind folks that old war rifles, such as Mausers, Mosin Nagant and springfields still make fine sniper rifles with a desent scope. I restore military surplus weapons as a hobbie, and a $150 rifle thats accurate at 600yrds is just as good as any 1,000 dollar or more gun that does the same thing. Sure, the newest top of the line guns can do it all; they almost shoot themselves...but mastering grandpa's old bolt action from WWII is a skill worth having. But this is just one mans opinion...who knows, maybe some of you need that $1,000 gun in order to hit anything...
I do not set much value on the friendship of people who do not succeed in getting disliked by their enemies...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well that is a pretty antagonistic post...

BUT, if the latest and greatest rifle can "do it all," then it is by your own definition, not doing the same thing as the WWII rifle.

Semantics aside, I've never seen a hand held weapon, regardless of price and quality, shoot itself. A skilled shooter can do better with a higher quality rifle. A poor quality shooter will probably perform about the same with a poor quality rifle versus a good quality rifle, assuming they are using the same optics.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
LexiconDevil wrote:

The reason behind this post is to remind folks that old war rifles, such as Mausers, Mosin Nagant and springfields still make fine sniper rifles with a desent scope.
How many SC posts have you read? If you used the search for just about any old military rifle, you'll find that several of the folks here either own old military rifles, or collect them. You're preaching to the choir.

I have an 03A3 Rem, 2 M1 Garands, an M1 carbine, a Swiss K31, a Finn 28/30 (Mosin-nagant), an M1 carbine, several 8mm Model 98s, a Swede M96, Some FALs, and various other old war horses.I've posted pics of them here. There are several other folks here who have done the same.

In the interest of getting the most out of rifles for competition or varminting, some very high tech rifles are commonly discussed, but they aren't all that is discussed. Great as they are, the old war horses generally don't bring the .5 and .25 moa groups that a lot of folks here covet, but they are still a large part of SC discussion. Unfortunayely, most military rifles of the 20th century don't group better than 1.5 moa without some modern, 'new fangled' tricks applied to them.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
LexiconDevil said:
who knows, maybe some of you need that $1,000 gun in order to hit anything...
Okay, and are you sure of that?

FYI

If you paid attention to the posts from those that frequent this site, you will notice that we do not refer to them as sniper rifles unless the person itself is in the trade and is referring to his duty weapon. Come to think of it, we don't even refer to it as such.

Welcome to SC!

:wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
oneeyedmac said:
Like an eddystone .30-06?
We'll see. Let's not judge too quick.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I'm afraid the verdict was already in when he was talking about stalking/scope glassing people.

He's gone.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
muzzleblast said:
I'm afraid the verdict was already in when he was talking about stalking/scope glassing people.

He's gone.
Guess I missed that thread. :oops:

Oh well, another one bites the dust.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Not your fault, the guys deleted it ricky tick.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The Devil is in the details. A bit more recon training would show most here do not have 'the latest and greatest' rifle. Some do but most have journeyman level rifles, certainly have mid level optics...

I have a mauser F-Class rifle and a Mauser hunting rifle I modified to take detach mags. I also have an LTR. If I was to select a rifle to go realtime it wouldnt be the Mauser, even the one with the detach mag system.

Things have come along way since 1898, but it might be worth remembering that back in 1898 the mauser was the ultimate rifle and I imagine a few crusty types belittled them while gushing over a Krag.

But it does kinda come back to what nation we live in and what frames gun ownership...

Must I prove a NEED in order to own or can I have a DESIRE to own one??? Should I buy second hand tools or top of the line??? If one mechanic has My-T-Fine tools or the other guy had Mac both charged within 10% or each other...

Sometimes ya just want a guy who has good gear. Sometimes ya just like owning what you think is the best.

If ya think ya are way ahead by owning far cheaper rifles, good for you... but most guys I've seen using high end rifles- they could do it with a water pipe and golf balls. They just like the fit n finish of one supremely made bit of steel...kinda like some car owners.

Onething I have wondered about self proclaimed good shooters using low end stuff... do they need that built in excuse if they dont do well ???

If they miss a wind shift do they mutter something about the rifle instead of the loose nut on the trigger...

Justa thought....

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If I ever felt like I could outshoot any of my rifles, I'd say something pithy about it.

As it is, we all want to see what we can do with the RIGHT tool for the job, and we all have our ideas on what that is.

It always amuses me in a not so nice way when someone sees fit to tell us all, collectively, what the right or wrong tool for that is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those damned old military rifles. They suck. I shoot AR sytle stuff, and those M1-kinda people are always kicking my arse at the range. Must be voodoo in the old wood stocks or something. I wish they would ban the damned things, as they make me look totally incompetent as I shoot the latest technology and the old farts with antique rifles blow through the X ring over and over. Hate them. Wood - what a silly concept, anyway!

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I like my AR, I like my custom, I like my Savage, and I like my 1944 Swiss K31 with iron sights...a lot. All these rifles can out do me, even the old one.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Mate, I have a $200 Omark for PALMA, I use an old SMLE No 1 MK III* .303 for Service Rifle and I have built myself a $2000 SPS Tactical. I have both extremes and they will ALL outshoot me. Who cares what you rifle is, as long as you are safe, it shoots, and YOU HAVE FUN!!!!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Guys, I gotta say, I dont even know why we are talking about this, or understand why this would even come up.
Its simple, they all shoot, from the$400 m-14 to any savage you can get these days, they all shoot and shoot better then most people can.
Simple.

·
Registered
41 Posts
MikeD. said:
If one mechanic has My-T-Fine tools or the other guy had Mac both charged within 10% or each other...
Mike, you must not have priced Mac tools lately :lol: . I'm a snap-on guy myself BUT Mac has some pricey tools as well. You get what you pay for and good god have I ever paid for it.

Wish I could have glimpsed the glassing post just to see how far off he'd slipped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts