Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an existing thread regarding Stock geometries on felt recoil. I recently upgraded a stock on a 270 from a synthetic to a Boyds and there is slight but noticeable increase in felt recoil. Both stock are equivalently padded. Is this increase in felt recoil simply due to an increase in rigidity or is there some geometry that affects this as well. The rifle is a rem 783 I bought for $300 and it was actually a decent shooter even with the crap stock so I upgraded to a AT-one( no thumb hole) and a Leupold vx3 only to receive more recoil. Shooting Federal 130 grain power shock. before and after stock swap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Weight is the biggest factor sans muzzle brake. If you synthetic stock had a thumb hole in it then, without noticing it you were absorbing some of the recoil with you hand, same as a AR style hand grip, a apposed to a smooth curve built into the stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your input, The outcome was just counterintuitive, A friend of min had the same result with a thumbhole version of the same stock on 7 mag is what prompted me to ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts