Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here it is, the long awaited stock texture how to.

First my apologies, I’m not a photographer, as you will notice by the pictures. Also, the texture is finished, but the stock is not. I will be shooting the entire rifle with Duracoat once I get a break in the weather, (tutorial to follow.)

Okay, step one is to gather your materials. For this job you’ll need.
Marine Tex
Sandpaper
Painters/masking tape
Rubber gloves
Exacto knife
Tongue depressors
Paper towels
Toluene, Acetone, or rubbing alcohol

Now, I’m assuming you have already removed the action, bottom metal and other hardware from the stock, if not do so.

Go ahead and sand the finish off of your stock, this step is not absolutely necessary, but it is highly recommended. You do not need to remove all of the finish but you should remove as much as possible. Once that’s done you need to clean off any dust left over from sanding, and wipe the entire stock down with your chemical of choice from the above list, I used alcohol.

Now you’re ready to tape off the areas to be textured. This is pretty self explanatory, so I’ll leave the design work to you. Tape the stock up and trace out your “cut linesâ€

·
Registered
81 Posts
Very fine job sir. I'm glad you remembered to take the step by step photos.

You say that you taped around the rear tang and used that as a template. Did you leave a gab between the tang and the texture, or does it flush directly up to the tang? It looks like it's pretty tight there.

By the way, your texture job came out fantastic. And you're pictures are just fine. :)

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Qld4390 said:
Very fine job sir. I'm glad you remembered to take the step by step photos.

You say that you taped around the rear tang and used that as a template. Did you leave a gab between the tang and the texture, or does it flush directly up to the tang? It looks like it's pretty tight there.

By the way, your texture job came out fantastic. And you're pictures are just fine. :)
Thank you for the kind words. The rear tang butts right up to the texture, you could say it fits like a glove.

Rigger

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think i would be hard at all, but I do think it would chew up your face when you shot it. :wink:

Rigger

·
Registered
60 Posts
This really makes me want to do some kind of grip texture on my B&C Tactical. I need to take down the pistol grip a bit first, as my small hands don't fit around it very well as-is.

Anyhow, I will be referencing this writeup whenever I undertake texturing one of my rifles! A+ work rigger

·
Registered
392 Posts
mr_ouija said:
This really makes me want to do some kind of grip texture on my B&C Tactical. I need to take down the pistol grip a bit first, as my small hands don't fit around it very well as-is.

Anyhow, I will be referencing this writeup whenever I undertake texturing one of my rifles! A+ work rigger
if you are talking bout the tactical B&C I did one for a remmy 700 and they look very nice

·
Registered
392 Posts
I used the normal marine tex in the box in gray, also I got it at the boat store here I am sure many places that carry boats and boating stuff carry it

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Backwoods308 said:
Awesome job, but I have a question, what is Marine Tex and where do you get it?
Marine Tex is a marine grade epoxy resin that is used to patch boat hulls, It's some incredibly strong stuff. I get mine from Midway Usa.

Rigger

·
Registered
256 Posts
thanks for the writeup. The B&C stock i'm getting looks like it might have some checkering in the pictures on their site, so this is a perfect way to cover that up and make it look great at the same time. I'm not a big fan of inlaid checkering. :lol:

Besides, I have a couple guns around here to bed, so I need marine tex anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
warriorways said:
Exceptional write up Rigger. Great pictures. One question, what did you put into the sling swivel stud holes?
Honestly? Nothing, you can fill them with clay or something if you want. I was just careful not to force any M Tex into the holes and I had no problems.

Rigger

·
Registered
259 Posts
navyrigger46 said:
warriorways said:
Exceptional write up Rigger. Great pictures. One question, what did you put into the sling swivel stud holes?
Honestly? Nothing, you can fill them with clay or something if you want. I was just careful not to force any M Tex into the holes and I had no problems.

Rigger
Thanks alot, once again awesome job.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
navyrigger46 said:
warriorways said:

Rigger
A golf tee would work. I don't gold but you can probably get them in the sporting goods section.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts