Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been neglecting my wonderful readers... and I apologize. Stump sent me these images about 1.5 months ago. Last night I made the effort to get them online. I'll let him fill you in on the details

MEL

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok its a 300 U.M. Savage 116 stainless :twisted: Thnx for posting the pics Mel. :)
All Ive done to this rifle is the muzzle break, and the target crown so far.
I topped it off with a Leupold VX-III (from advice from Mel) .Thnx Mel.
Next week I plan on freefloating the barrel, was close with the new stock
but not close enough.
The stock is a Boyds thumbhole sporster, it actually fit me perfectly when
I had it installed.
It has been the most accurate rifle Ive ever shot! and Ive shot a few .
I cant remember what all I need to do to get it more accurate Im drawing a blank right now. (input from you guys please!!)
It shoots consistance .30 moa!! or better with me shooting.
Im definatly not a sniper nor will I ever be one, but I am the range sniper :lol: , might change my name to that one.
I just love rifles and shooting .I just wish the bullets were cheaper!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice one

That is an absolutly beautiful weapon Man, I love the stock where did you find one that nice and what did it cost you ?
Rusty

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thnx for the comments OldTouch.Makes me feel all giggly inside. :D

The stock is from Boydboys, total cost around $250.00 give or take a few.
It was quick fitted by my smith here in Monroe,La.
It fits my body perfectly compared to the original stock.

Im trying to convince Mel to do my next gun with this stock.
It would be a glorified custom sniper rifle 8) ,for show mostly ,might even get him some sales on the true sniper S.C. series :wink: .(I tend to have a very big mouth when at the range bragging on weps and who worked on them!!).

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey stump i have that same rifle only with the plastic stock, no brake, i got a cheap scope on it(combo deal) and its in 300wm but i cant shoot that tight of groups?im lucky to get around 1.5-2in. it might be just me as this is the first mag i have ever owned and i maybe a bit shy of it cuz everytime i shoot it the scope just kisses my eye. i was woundering wat i could do to make the rifle not jump so much and over all tightin my groups? i plan on geting a new nikon buckmaster as soon as i get the money. i know that 2in. is perfectly fine for hunting but im obesed with geting the most out of my guns and would like to get into some target shooting as i have a 600m long range not 2min. from my house.

ps: does that brake help alot with recoil? and how bad is the boom without ear plugs? im thinkin i might want one.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
nice weapon partner! range sniper........i wonder if they pay for that job :lol: awsome that it shoot so great too!

dom

·
Registered
108 Posts
SniperChris90 said:
ps: does that brake help alot with recoil? and how bad is the boom without ear plugs? im thinkin i might want one.
Man the break does wonders. took me a few times at the range to get those groups,...i kept on anticipating the kick was my major problem with the magnum and ultramag rifles but after the break is when i started shooting tighter groups
and as far as the noise goes wear ear plugs if at all possible you only get one set of ear drums and it is quiet loud

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I too have a 116, but mine is the FSAK, shoots super, if you are in the .3's not much you can do to better it.
I put mine in a Bell and Carson Duramax stock and glass bed it.
Mine came with the factory on/off brake.

This is it with the New stock, 3rd one down

·
Registered
108 Posts
:p mouth watering,nice set of rifles fm take care of them

i need to put the pics of my 300wsm up but havnt shot it enough to rate it yet ,been lagging at the range this year or just tired of spending $40.00 a box for ultra mag shells dang i needs a reloader system badly

·
Registered
340 Posts
and how bad is the boom without ear plugs?
If you want to be able to hear tomorrow, I wouldn't recommend shooting anything stronger than a .22lr w/o earplugs. And a .300 mag with a muzzlebreakwould probably make your ears bleed and your eardrum pop, and be the most painful thing you have experienced in a long time. Oh and it would make you permanently deaf. So yeah stick to the ear plugs, even without a muzzle break.

As for not making it jump so much, go for a muzzlebreak and a new recoil pad. Also get a scope with more eye relief than the one you have presently, because nothing makes you flinch more than having a bite taken out of your skull by a scope! Nastiest scope cut I ever got was from a Ruger 7mm-08 off a bench! Nicked the bridge of my nose and bled for like twenty minutes, but didn't hurt all that much. (that's what I get for shooting a rifle set up to fit my female cousin who is considerably smaller than I... :oops: ) Also try match ammo (Federal Gold Medal Match)

Fmsniper- nice rifles! I had a Savage 12-BVSS (I think that is the correct nomenclature for the top two rifles in your picture) in .22-250, and it was one of the best shooting rifles I have ever shot (as in I never shot a group with it that i couldn't cover with a dime, which is more a testament to its ability than to my skill!)

Jake

·
Registered
2 Posts
fmsniper what kind of accuracy do you get out of your 116? and where did you get that cartrige holder(im not sure of the proper name) on your savage? ive been lookin for one. Ive also been lookin at a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14/6-18 SF any opinion about these scopes? hows the eye releaf? and any recomended scopes with resonable eye releaf for a hard kicking 300wm? thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
The cartridge holder looks like an Eagle Industries Shooters Stock Pack
http://www.eagleindustries.com/MainProd.asp?scv=0

I can't get it to direct product link, so go to the above site, put the cursor over "accesories" and then click on "weapon" in the pop-up menu.

The scope you are considering is an excellent one, especially for the price. I would recommend it wholeheartedly. Eye relief isn't quite as far as on a Leupold, but it should do better than the Simmons, especially with an Eagle pack on the butt (since it is also a cheek rest,) and then all you have to do is perfect your cheek weld and shooting stance, and you shouldn't have any problems. The Nikon should serve you wonderfully for a long time. Try to find the version with mil-dots, especially if you plan to shoot at variable ranges.

Jake

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
SniperChris90 said:
fmsniper what kind of accuracy do you get out of your 116? and where did you get that cartrige holder(im not sure of the proper name) on your savage? ive been lookin for one. Ive also been lookin at a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14/6-18 SF any opinion about these scopes? hows the eye releaf? and any recomended scopes with resonable eye releaf for a hard kicking 300wm? thanks
Sorry so long since my reply but I have been TDY, at 600 yards I am getting 3"groups with Factory ammo.
Jake S is correct Eagleindustries

·
Registered
114 Posts
???

do you like the cheeckpiece because im thinkin about buying one. But i thought i would take the advice of someone who has one before spending 50$

·
Registered
114 Posts
-FMsniper- do you like your stock pack. is it worth $40. Does it give you good cheeck weld? Do you use the zipper pouch? give some info on the pack im curious and about to buy one and i want some feedback before i do.(feedback from someone who has one) thank a bunch

tricky86

1 - 16 of 16 Posts