Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
and how bad is the boom without ear plugs?
If you want to be able to hear tomorrow, I wouldn't recommend shooting anything stronger than a .22lr w/o earplugs. And a .300 mag with a muzzlebreakwould probably make your ears bleed and your eardrum pop, and be the most painful thing you have experienced in a long time. Oh and it would make you permanently deaf. So yeah stick to the ear plugs, even without a muzzle break.

As for not making it jump so much, go for a muzzlebreak and a new recoil pad. Also get a scope with more eye relief than the one you have presently, because nothing makes you flinch more than having a bite taken out of your skull by a scope! Nastiest scope cut I ever got was from a Ruger 7mm-08 off a bench! Nicked the bridge of my nose and bled for like twenty minutes, but didn't hurt all that much. (that's what I get for shooting a rifle set up to fit my female cousin who is considerably smaller than I... :oops: ) Also try match ammo (Federal Gold Medal Match)

Fmsniper- nice rifles! I had a Savage 12-BVSS (I think that is the correct nomenclature for the top two rifles in your picture) in .22-250, and it was one of the best shooting rifles I have ever shot (as in I never shot a group with it that i couldn't cover with a dime, which is more a testament to its ability than to my skill!)

Jake

·
Registered
340 Posts
The cartridge holder looks like an Eagle Industries Shooters Stock Pack
http://www.eagleindustries.com/MainProd.asp?scv=0

I can't get it to direct product link, so go to the above site, put the cursor over "accesories" and then click on "weapon" in the pop-up menu.

The scope you are considering is an excellent one, especially for the price. I would recommend it wholeheartedly. Eye relief isn't quite as far as on a Leupold, but it should do better than the Simmons, especially with an Eagle pack on the butt (since it is also a cheek rest,) and then all you have to do is perfect your cheek weld and shooting stance, and you shouldn't have any problems. The Nikon should serve you wonderfully for a long time. Try to find the version with mil-dots, especially if you plan to shoot at variable ranges.

Jake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.