Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 4-16X mil-dot scope.according to it's manual,the mil-dot reticle is accurate at 9X. i'm wondering,could i use the mil-dot at 9X to establish distance to target,make the necessary click-adjustments,and then increase magnification to enhance target size,and still fire accurately ?
another thing,this S&W scope i have has "rainguard" coated lenses.according to bushnells website,this coating is "exclusive and patented",and only used on their elite 3200 & 4200 models,the ones that were once bausch & lomb scopes. do you think it likely that the smith and wesson scopes were manufactured by them?
also, the manual states that at 9X, 1 mil-dot equals 3.44 MOA. any idea why it wouldn't be the 3.6 i believe it should be,and will the apparant discrepancy cause me problems ? thanks in advance for any help....

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
i thought the elite 3200 and 4200 scopes we're made by bushnell?

long story short. if you make the correct click adjustments, you can then zoom in and have the same poa/poi going on ...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yes, the elite 3200 and 4200 are made by Bushnell, which is why he mentioned them, as the rainguard is suppose be pattented by bushnell, and here the S&W scopes have the same thing. Yes, there is a good chance the same people who make bushnells scope are probably making S&W scopes.

Yes, once you make your corrections, then it is fine to change zoom, as your point of aim should not change with zoom changes.

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah, i guess i just skimmed that one... im not battin well today am i mel? lol

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Hi expatriot
the manual states that at 9X, 1 mil-dot equals 3.44 MOA. any idea why it wouldn't be the 3.6 i believe it should be,and will the apparant discrepancy cause me problems
Mill are not MOA
1 Mill @100yds =3.44 MOA = 3.6"
1 MOA = 1.046" @100yds but most poeple just 1"
You would probly want to comfirm that your mill reading is correct at 9x by testing at 100yds.
this can be done by drawing yourself a grid with square 3.6" apart, center of line to center of line. set target up at a known 100yds. set rifle in good rest and line up mill dot to line on paper, adjust power ring to match perfectly, than mark ring for reff point.
Cliffy out

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
1 Minute Of Angle = 1.047197580733 Inchs @ 100 Yards (300 Feet) distance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts