Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I am attempting to load for a friend of mines .308 internally suppressed bolt gun. Its 18.5" Bbl 1:11.25 twist as far my measurements reveal. I know very little about the suppressed world. He left me with the ammo that was sold with the gun. At this point, I have not broke one down to weigh the bullet. The bullet is a round nose with a deep concave with lead showing. My guess is its in the 200 grain range. Where do start with this combo? I do not have a chronograph.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
This is very difficult with an integrally suppressed gun. Ideally when finding a subsonic load you would remove the suppressor for all load developing and verify that the rounds were not keyholing before reattaching the suppressor.

You need to start somewhat higher than subsonic and work down to subsonic. Without a chronograph you will need to stop lowering the charge as soon as you lose the sonic crack. These rounds might be super sonic in some condition ions, but without knowing where you are speed wise you don’t want to drop much lower.

Powder is important in 308. You have a massive case and will only need a little powder. I used tightgroup for my subsonic 308. I have heard that trail boss also works well.

I would start with a 170 or so round nose bullet. Round nose will stabilize easier than match bullets.

308 is not a great subsonic round. I played with it when it was all I had, but once I got a 300 blackout I never loaded subs for my 308 again. A 300 blackout with a 7 or 8 twist can stabilize 220 smk’s and has just enough space in the case to push them to 1050 FPS without the case being half empty. If you really want to shoot a lot of subsonic 30 cal, then I would recommend investing in 300 blackout.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Subs Works for me

I have developed successful subs for my 700 5r 1. 11.25 20" barrel. After many hours in researching subs for a 308 and even reaching out to friends in England and Finland I finally came up with a couple of good and safe loads. I researched Lapua subs and found their 200 gr sub bullets were excellent in this trial. First off all I use is Lapua brass, expensive but well worth it. Their 200 gr. weird looking bullet NO. APL 7060 IMG_20191030_195936818.jpg Powder I used is Trail Boss 11gr. Primer used is Federal 210 M OAL 2.826. and shoot through a AAC 762 SDN 6 can. It's my pet load, until I can crack Lapua's proprietary formula for their loaded ammo which powder weighs 12 gr. of ?? subs sells at 45.00+ a box last time I checked. I have another load I use which is more basic and Hollywood quiet if interested...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts