Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone i have just got interested in shooting and i am looking for a good rifle and scope my budget is about 1000 dollars. any suggestions? thank you.

brad

·
Registered
152 Posts
brad

Ok brad, narrow it down for us a little here, what do you intend to use your rifle for, eg long range plinking, tatical or maybe hunting? also what kind of action would u like, eg bolt, lever, semi? and what size calibre would you be looking for, eg 7.62, 5.56?. Also what narrow it down a little for us for the scope, different scopes have differet jobs in mind, eg a big low light reticle for shooting at dawn and dusk, or a varipower for extended range shooting ect. these are the kind of things that will help you get the right rifle for the job and im sure if u speculate what you are after further mad, and the others here will help you pick the perfect weapon for what you need.

Hum.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
hi brad
welcome to the site
can you be more specific, rifles are tools, some are better for different situations than others
same with scopes
what kind of shooting will you be doing?
plinking, long range target, hunting, tactical?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Welcome to SC Brad,

If you are new to shooting the best route would be to get a 22 lr to get your skills up. You can get a very nice rifle and scope, along with a ton of ammo for under $1k. Ammo is very cheap for the 22lr as well. This will help you master allot of shooting skills. I know the 22 might not have all of the glamour and glitz of some of the higher power rifles out there, but I think that most everyone would agree this is the way to go. As a matter of fact, many people have posted the same info here previously.

I would reccomend a ruger 77/22 or a ruger 10/22. You just need to decide if you want a bolt action, or a autoloader. The 77/22 is a good choice if you want to get used to using a bolt action rifle. The 10/22 are nice autoloaders and run about 40% less in cost than the 77/22.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i am a beginner but i would like to build my way to long range plinking. the calibur i would like would either a 223. rem or 22.250. and for the scope i would be shooting during the day. and bolt action for me.

thanks, brad

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
For a $1000 budget the Savage heavy bbl is a good option. Also the Tikka, but you may be over budget with a good scope. As for scopes a 3-9 will suffice for now. I recommend Burris full field II since it is the best bang for the buck IMHO.

As said above a .22 is great for learning and much cheaper to shoot as well. Shooting is shooting no matter if it is a .22 lr or highpower rifle, the way you do it is the same. The.223 and 22-250 are good rounds espically if you are a beginner since there is very little recoil and they are both very accurate rounds. I prefer the 22-250 due to higher velocity, but that is me.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
if you dont want a .22--then i say go with a remmington vls, vsf, or a vs..they are very accurate rifles for their price and have very good reliability

dom

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Brad,

Welcome to the forums buddy, and to SC. To get straight to business here. It depends entirely what you will want to use this rifle for. What kind of caliber you would like, how often you will shoot, how much you are willing to spend on optics, what time of day you will be shooting, how far you will be shooting, how much experience you have, etc etc. Also, a decent spotting scope with ample magnification or decent binoculars will really aid you as well. Dont wanna be prancing donwrange after every few shots to check your group, especialy 300+ yards. There are alot of things to take into account Brad. Just marinate on a few of these things and we all here will do our best to help you out. Most of the people in this forum will fall over themselves to help certain folks, especially our Commander in Cheif of Sniper Central, Mel Ewing :D Hehe just kiddin Mel. Looking forward to hearing back from you Brad.

Respectfully,
Tyler COnsugar

·
Registered
314 Posts
I dont really know what all you have in mind for a rifle but this guy in the forums recently put together an entire setup for about 1250 which included a remington 700 vls, leupold rings and base, and a Leupold Mk 4 3-9x40. That seems to me to be one of the best sounding deals out there
here is a link to the page where I saw the info

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2381

hope it helps you out

mina

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i was shopping around and i found a remington sps it was 575$ what do you guys think about that rifle since its pretty cheap it leaves enough cash for a decent scope. and ill look into that vls. thank you all.

brad

·
Registered
347 Posts
that price seems a little steep... I can get a sps for 400 dollars here...Mel can get you one for cheaper than what you said too...

-BS

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Brad,

The SPS looks like a good beginner platform. Hardly any Remingtons I have shot, and I have shot MANY PLENTY have ever had any problems. Mind you I know 2 people who broke their bolts somehow when cyling their rifle right at the bolt knob. And messed up their sear when adjusting their trigger. Other then that, SOLID as a rock rifle, and action. 22-250 my dad has in his VLS. Now we reload ALL of our ammunition, we dont buy any commerical stuff, after a while, it starts to get spendy. A 22-250 can burn out a barell kinda fastif you shoot it quite a bit and if your running light grain bullets with a high powder charge. Mind you, not as fast as a 220 swift. A .223 is a great start because with a good rifle, twist, and optics, it can reach out to 400 yards. If you were to purchse one, I would say to get a .223 and then get yourself a good Leupold one piece base and a tactical 3-9x40 scope. Or get yourself a Remignton LTR or 700P in the .223 and then get a good base, rings and a Tasco Super Sniper scope with 10x magnification. Only suggestions for ya boss. And a good way to begin shooting as well is with a good ole .22 And they are fun to shoot and soo freakin cheap you can shoot em all day and not have to worry about your barell or ammo. THe choice is al your Brad. But if it were me, I would go with a .223.

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

1 - 12 of 12 Posts