Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a place I could buy M118? And is it worth buying? How much money does it cost for a pack of 20? How does that compare to other surplus .308s?
How about what about, 144 gr FMJ Austrailian surplus, $30 for 160 rounds.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Unfortunately lake city (manufacturer of M118) does not sell directly to the public. I have seen small small quantities of M118 out there, but pretty rare. I would like to have a ready access to the stuff if it were possible (well, prefer M118LR even better). Honestly, M118 is only "okay" and manufactured "premium" ammo is probably just as good. Its better then standard ball, but certainly not match grade. now, M118LR is Superb. Like I said, I would enjoy a good stable supply of M118 or M118LR if anyone knows?

MEL

·
Registered
127 Posts
M118

I know this is a little late: But I just signed on and read your question. M118 was made by Lake City Arsenal in two configurations. M118 Match, which has a 173 grain BTFMJ bullet traveling at 2650 fps. This will come in a white box, and have Match printed right on the box. Also on the bottom of the case it will have MATCH stamped right on the brass. The other config. it came in was called " M118 Special Ball". That was the real name for it. We sometimes called it "Special Brown" because it came in kind of a brown box. This version of the round did not have "MATCH" on the bottom of the brass. I was told that this was the prefered "sniper" ammo because if the enemy found a piece of brass, {always good for a mess of pushups} they would not be sure that a sniper had been there. I would think the body with one hole in it would be a clue, but I did not do the thinking back then. Both Config. of the M118 are the same other than that. I think you can buy ammo cans of the 173 grain in a 1500 count from the CMP. I did at one time. I don't know if they still have them. Hope this helps you in your quest.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

·
Registered
127 Posts
M118

I know this is a little late: But I just signed on and read your question. M118 was made by Lake City Arsenal in two configurations. M118 Match, which has a 173 grain BTFMJ bullet traveling at 2650 fps. This will come in a white box, and have Match printed right on the box. Also on the bottom of the case it will have MATCH stamped right on the brass. The other config. it came in was called " M118 Special Ball". That was the real name for it. We sometimes called it "Special Brown" because it came in kind of a brown box. This version of the round did not have "MATCH" on the bottom of the brass. I was told that this was the prefered "sniper" ammo because if the enemy found a piece of brass, {always good for a mess of pushups} they would not be sure that a sniper had been there. I would think the body with one hole in it would be a clue, but I did not do the thinking back then. Both Config. of the M118 are the same other than that. I think you can buy ammo cans of the 173 grain in a 1500 count from the CMP. I did at one time. I don't know if they still have them. Hope this helps you in your quest.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts