Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ties in well with Recoil's books on survival. Peanut butter is tasty and keeps long. Much longer than the jar might say.

I wanted a midnight or maybe 3 am snack last night, so I made a good old peanut butter sandwich. As I ate it I looked at the jar and saw it was quite out of date. Not "oh dear, it's past it's prime"...more like "Holy Crap! Am I gonna be OK!?!" morbidly out of date!! Either the date was in Roman numerals or it said "Ye Olde peanut butter"....take your pick.

I figured I would get sick, and probably catch a mean case of Montezuma's Revenge (Or should I say, Skippy's Revenge) but it seems eating peanut butter that was so old I think Moses mentions it in the new testament carries no ill effects.

Been a while since we had a good laugh at the expense of Muzz, not long enough IMHO but such is life lol... So I hope this gets a chuckle out of ya. Man, I really gotta start reading "best before" dates...

But, peanut butter keeps safe a long, long, looong time after it says you have no business ingesting it, and pretty much tastes the same. A worthy and tasty addition to the survivalist's menu. Seriously, a source of protein and calories which should be considered :D

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Recoil said:
That's not surprising really. Most foods keep much longer than their advertised expiration dates claim.
besides milk---YUCK---i hate it when that stuff gets old

dom

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Been a while since we had a good laugh at the expense of Muzz, not long enough IMHO but such is life lol... :D
We laugh at you daily Muzz, you didn't know that. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, I thought it was semi-daily or so, needed to pick up the pace!

As for the milk there is one store here that is notorious for leaving produce out too long and I grabbed some chocolate milk there without checking the date. Took a nice big swig of chocolate cheese. The military uses powdered milk though, right?

Recoil, I would dig an article about preserving food. Other than smoking meat and making an ice house, I know jack.

G

·
0 Posts
Muzzleblast,

Your post was so funny I've got tears coming out of my eyes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
lol! :lol:

Yea, when i go out on hiking trips, and camping trips ill bring myself an MRE along with a penut butter sandwich OR penut butter and crackers. They really keep you going to! Last week during camp they didnt really feed us much (one meal was corn and a piece of chicken...and i got a REAL small piece of chicken...ugh) but they always had penut butter and bread...

i dont think penut butter gets old! I ate a some the other day that was like...a year and a half old :lol:

Old milk! Ugh....i drink at least 5 old milks from school a year...then dont want to eat anything else!

I mean comon...who in this world wants to eat ceral with chunky milk! :lol:

StealTh

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's pretty bad, but this stuff....if the date of expiration was date of birth, my peanut butter was a toddler.

Thansen, glad you liked it. :lol:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Leave milk out for long enough, and it stops being chunky, and becomes effectively a single block of yogurt. Cool, if it weren't for the smell. Ahhh, sharing accommodations with university students. Always fun.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzz,

If you want to really impress me, eat one of the original MRE's. Not the new fancy ones, but the originals the Army recalled because they were so bad.

Q. What does MRE stand for?

A. Meals Rejected by Ethopians. Even they wouldn't eat them durind the famin.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol I dunno....

Ah, heck with it...Bring em, I'll bring the peanut butter :lol:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
ekaphoto said:
Muzz,

If you want to really impress me, eat one of the original MRE's. Not the new fancy ones, but the originals the Army recalled because they were so bad.

Q. What does MRE stand for?

A. Meals Rejected by Ethopians. Even they wouldn't eat them durind the famin.
LOL :D

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
speaking of ethiopeans....i was watching south park and the click click gnarf tribe was in it(ethiopians) was in it!!! randon--sorry. good joke eka

dom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts