Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's in Japanese, but it's none to hard to understand what is going on.

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/608/

Interesting, interesting. Granted, the fellow behind the sword would be dead, but it's still odd to see a sword split a .50 cal bullet capable of smashing through APCs. Obviously, steel penetrators would just smash the sword in two, but it's still pretty amazing.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Several factors are involved, the three major ones being the shape of the sword, due to the angle it was setup at, the hardening of the steel in the sword, and the shape+diameter of the bullet.

The very narrow wedge that the edge of the blade presented actually caused the energy in the bullet to "flow" to the sides. Much like, if you walk normally into a very hard wind, you'll be pushed, maybe even pushed back, but if you turn your body slightly you become less affected.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I can garentee it was lead core ammo as well... Lead vs a katana... duh. Katana blades are heated up and folded over and over and over... to have up to around 40,000 layers. This is what makes them and other japanese swords so durable... obviously... a katana made in such a way would easily cut through the relativly thin copper jacket and soft lead core of a bullet.

BC

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True. Soft copper and lead are no comparison to steel, especially forged steel. And yes, Nekekami, it is due to the shape as well. It's still a shock to the mind to see, though, as a .50 cal can put holes in an APC, whereas a Katana can only put nicks in the paint.

Also; Nekekami out of NOWHERE.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
As a side note... i doubt all those rounds were hitting directly on the tip. The majority of them were probably hitting the side of the sword and bouncing off after making a little damage and having the side peeled and shredded off. Get the same sword... and shoot it at the flat side of it... not the point. I garentee it will blow right through the sword...

BC

·
Registered
571 Posts
CM2k said:
True. Soft copper and lead are no comparison to steel, especially forged steel. And yes, Nekekami, it is due to the shape as well. It's still a shock to the mind to see, though, as a .50 cal can put holes in an APC, whereas a Katana can only put nicks in the paint.

Also; Nekekami out of NOWHERE.
The shape has a lot to do with it. For example, it's why small thin bullets with comparatively low weight can have better armour penetration than somewhat heavier bullets with a larger diameter.

And yes, I do have to live up to the nickname ;)

Jokes aside, I've been busy. Very busy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You want heavy bullets that have as small as a diameter as possible with as pointy a tip as possible with as hard and dense a metal as possible at as high of a speed as possible... "common" sence i think. :)

BC

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
You want heavy bullets that have as small as a diameter as possible with as pointy a tip as possible with as hard and dense a metal as possible at as high of a speed as possible... "common" sence i think. :)

BC
Duh, I never claimed otherwise. But, in the balance of all those, thin and high velocity are the most important ones. Doubling the weight but retaining the same velocity doubles the energy, increasing the force, but doubling the velocity quadruples the energy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Nekekami said:
Duh, I never claimed otherwise.
I never said you did claim otherwise... i was simply voicing my opinion.

BC

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Gotta be snowy and chime in on the metal aspects at hand.

A traditional Katana could be folded more than one million times depending on the maker.

The interesting thing is, the blades had a varying degree of hardness due to the application of carbon at different points. The edge of the blade in actually incredibly soft.

Even at the back of the blade (where more carbon was added) the entire sword could be broken with very little force. If you were to let traditional Katana fall onto your average side walk it would break into about three pieces.

The Katana is a very fragile sword because it is not meant to cut anything but human flesh, bone and muscle and it does, very well.

99% of Katanas today are made out of the same steel as your average kitchen knife. There is a great sentimental value to the old ways of sword making, but that sword is undoubtedly made of modern steel.

The few masters from Japan who do still make swords the old fashioned way would never suffer one of their swords the indignity of being shot with a machine gun (imagine Mel setting an SC1 up in that sword's place).

Guns among other things did undo the Samurai after all.

Interestingly enough, there are very few functional advantages to the old way of sword making. Your average $300 practice ready sword is more durable, stronger, more flexible and will live longer with less maintenance.

Does't mean I don't have a little piggy bank set up for my Tokugawa era blade. 8)

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
heh, answer to that would be a good, stout 12 ga load.

While I'm on the topic I'd like to see Neo from the first matrix movie bullet-time his butt out of that one too :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
:lol: ....Looks like Nek is already at it again.....those of us whom were here when Nek was an active poster back when know what I'm refering to. :lol:

300 dollars won't get anyone a serious sword and contrary to popular belief most swords sold commercially now a days are not "serious" swords.

Its actually somewhat difficult in this day and age to find a decent serious sword for actual combat. Unless you dish out some serious coin. Which is pretty sad, but we've all converted to guns and modern weapons.... :(

The only thing deadlier than a silent hit at 1200 yards is a serious blade. Swift, deadly and most important.....silent..... :twisted:

I'm a sucker for quality cutlery. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
heh, answer to that would be a good, stout 12 ga load.

While I'm on the topic I'd like to see Neo from the first matrix movie bullet-time his butt out of that one too :D
He would not have to dodge... instead only realize the truth.

There is no bullet...

Simply realize this and stop the bullet... 8)

BC

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I never said $300 would get you a serious sword. I did say that your average 440 stainless is much "stronger, durable...etc" than an authentic blade.

It depends on what you are using them for. I've got a $100 junk shirasaya that works great of Iai practice and has for years. Its nothing I'd want to display proudly, but it gets the job done.

As for sword on sword combat practice, I've never found anything wrong with a good boken.

If you are going to spend $1,200 or more for a sword, I don't know why you'd want to bang it on another sword.

Samurai spent a good deal of time trying to not have their swords come in contact with one another.

-snowy

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've actually showed up for some excercises with a Wakizashi instead of the standard knife. That turned some heads...

And yes, supposedly "outdated" weapons can be quite useful. Crossbow anyone? Tungsten bolts with a modern composite crossbow makes less noise than a suppressed .22, and has an effective range of out to 300m, as well as extremely good armour penetration too. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
heh, yep...Nek the human encyclopedia...and I mean that in a good way, the brother knows his stuff.

Yeah lol in the second and third movies he would have an easier time of it, BC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts