Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided on purchasing an Accuracy International SM in .338 Lapua. My next decision is which Scope I should mount on the rifle. Perhaps a Leupold, Night Force, US Optics, S & B? I want to purchase a scope without thought to cost. It need be able to accurately reach out to 1100 meters, absorb a great deal of field abuse, have excellent optics, etc., etc., etc. Lastly it would be a plus if the scope incorporated a BDC.

Thanks,

PeregrineAloft

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
You have identified all the major contenders (along with Kahles, Hendsoldt and maybe few others). They are all excellent quality, it just comes down to what exact features you like, as they will all do what you have suggested you need them to do.

Personally , I like leupold, but that is only because they have never let me down, not because they are any better then the other ultra quality scopes.....

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Nightforce makes a very good scope. I don't think their optics are quite as nice as the highest leupolds (mk4) but still very good. The other thing about the nightforces that bug me a little is physical bulk of them. They are a LARGE scope. Its the same issue I have with US Optics scopes also. Some people like it, others do not. All and All, very nice optics

MEL

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I can confirm the size of the US Optics scopes, escecialy one with the 58MM objective lens. Nearly every time I pick it up I'm reminded that I could have had one with a 44MM objective lense that has 95% of the light gathering capabilties on the 58MM Monster lens. Let me say this in its defense, you don't need a night vision scope for your rifle unless there is absolutely no moon out.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
In support of what you just said about 44mm vs 58mm. Better quality optics and coatings is FAR more important for light gathering then a large objective. 30mm Tubes are the next most important thing for light gathering, and THEN the objective lens size. That is the reason ALMOST ALL sniper issued scopes around the world today only have a 40-42mm objective lense.

MEL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Optics and Coatings

I understand the importance of "quality optics and coatings," thus there must be a source that emperically measures these qualities, transmission of light, etc. Can anyone identify such a source of information?

The time and quality of your responses to this issue is most appreciated.

PeregreineAloft

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on optics..but I'm damed happy with my NXS 3.5-15x50. And I love the Nightforce mil-dot reticule. Doesn't mean everyone does, though.

When I put my scope on 6x and compare it to the S&B 6x the armed forces here use - I'm positive my NXS is the better one. Both in daylight and twilight. But that said, I never felt comfortable with the S&B we had.

I hear Nikon Tactical 2.5x10x44 is a very good scope. Plenty of adjustment. Just as tough as the NXS. And a bit better optics. And, a personal favourit, turnign the zoom wont turn the entire oculare - which means a Butler Creek cap will fit without trouble. I still haven't made up my mind about what to do with that on my scope :?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Light tranmission is all we have to go off of, BUT, light transmission is measured by the manufacturer, and not everyone uses the same test to measure it, so it really is difficult to make a comparison by just looking at the stat sheet. The only real way to do it is by comparing the scopes side by side in various conditions. Unfortunately, this is not always easy

MEL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts