Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very familiar with how the m118lr and the m80 ball effect tissue and how in real life how effective it is. My question is how does the 6.5 creedmoor compare.6.5 Creedmoor had less recoil, doubled hit probability at 1,000 meters, had a 33% longer effective range, retained 30% more energy at 1,000 meters, and had 40% less wind drift at 1,000 meters, but how does compare in tissue? Lets say for a hunting round. I know socom evaluated it to replace the 7.62.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'll let you know this season. I'm interested to see that as well. I usually go for a high shoulder shot because my right ankle is fried so tracking is pretty much off the menu for me. With a heart shot deer I found that they still run anywhere from 20- 100+ yards. With a high shoulder shot they don't go anywhere because if you bust the shoulder you interrupt the central nervous system. Out of the last 14 or so deer if taken in the last 10 years in PA, I only had a clean miss once and had to put a bullet with my 9mm in the head once. The rest just dropped on the spot... No tracking required. Most of my shots over the last 10 years were inside 100yds with a 30-06 with the longest at 135yds. Fortunately for me I had the opportunity to hunt were deer were plentiful so I could wait to get the shot I wanted and not risk going home empty handed. Unfortunately I cant hunt those grounds anymore do to a change in ownership. If you drop one let us know how the 6.5CM performed.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I know it is not the same as 6.5cm, but After using 22cm for coyotes, I would be very comfortable using it for deer. The wound channel in coyotes is massive.

I would think that 6.5cm would do better than 308.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Not stalking you. Lol. Was just looking for 6.5 ballistic and hunting info. That’s a lot further than I’d take.
I’d suggest you get to a 1000yd range and get used to shooting at range. I would also get some sense of the wind conditions at your hunting grounds compared to the 1000yd range you’re practicing at.

Wind can really mess with you and if you’re hunting Big Country that elk tend to like, missing the animal of a lifetime would ruin your experience if it was avoidable. My experience at the range I would keep the shot under 500 yds if winds are under 10mph and you’ve got a solid rest. Higher wind or iffy rest, bring it in closer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’d suggest you get to a 1000yd range and get used to shooting at range. I would also get some sense of the wind conditions at your hunting grounds compared to the 1000yd range you’re practicing at.

Wind can really mess with you and if you’re hunting Big Country that elk tend to like, missing the animal of a lifetime would ruin your experience if it was avoidable. My experience at the range I would keep the shot under 500 yds if winds are under 10mph and you’ve got a solid rest. Higher wind or iffy rest, bring it in closer.
Yup. Agree. Just getting into the long distance shooting game. My range just extended from 600-800 yards this year. Have been doing the tactical side of shooting for years but have always liked the idea and science behind long range. haven’t hunted in some years but always wanted to go out west for something big. In the planning stages now for maybe a mule deer hunt when things get back to normal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On the PRS scene, everyone seems to say that the .762 starts to lose accuracy around 800 yards and may even be tumbling by about 1000 yards. Meanwhile, the creedmoor is accurate out to about 1400 to 1600 yards or even further, but might bounce off the target at that range

The real issue is barrel life. .762 can last 8000 rounds or so, while creedmoor barrels lose accuracy by 2000 rounds, and sometimes as little as 1200.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Don't know anyone on the PRS scene who thinks the .308 loses accuracy after 800 yards. It is effected more by wind but accuracy is still there with the proper bullets used. The whole 800 yard old wives tale came years back from people using 168 SMK which get squirrely through transonic. Not all bullets or even all 168s are like that. I have shot my Tac class .308 shooting 168 ELD-Ms next to people shooting 6mm and made more hits at 1200 yards in a match then they did. Comes down to the bullet and shooter.

6.5 Creedmoors do not lose accuracy at 2000 rounds. They can go about 50% more and depends on the way they are fired and the rounds used. The lowest amount off round before I pulled a ,atch barrel which is shot hard and fat is about 2350 rounds. The one I have now is at about 2800 rounds and still shooting well. Also the 6.5 is not bouncing off targets at 1400-1600 yards. The 140 ELD still has about 320 ft/lbs of energy at 1600. About the same as a 9mm at the muzzle so will still make a dent ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Don't know anyone on the PRS scene who thinks the .308 loses accuracy after 800 yards. It is effected more by wind but accuracy is still there with the proper bullets used. The whole 800 yard old wives tale came years back from people using 168 SMK which get squirrely through transonic. Not all bullets or even all 168s are like that. I have shot my Tac class .308 shooting 168 ELD-Ms next to people shooting 6mm and made more hits at 1200 yards in a match then they did. Comes down to the bullet and shooter.

6.5 Creedmoors do not lose accuracy at 2000 rounds. They can go about 50% more and depends on the way they are fired and the rounds used. The lowest amount off round before I pulled a ,atch barrel which is shot hard and fat is about 2350 rounds. The one I have now is at about 2800 rounds and still shooting well. Also the 6.5 is not bouncing off targets at 1400-1600 yards. The 140 ELD still has about 320 ft/lbs of energy at 1600. About the same as a 9mm at the muzzle so will still make a dent ;)
That’s good to hear. I got rid of my .308, or I’d go test some of those rounds.I know a couple of competitors who switched to .308 at local matches to work on their wind skills. Makes more sense now if it can reach out with accuracy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are talking about hunting, the 7.62 bullet is better in that within 500 yards, it
does not require as accurate shot placement to be effective in bringing something down
as a 6.5mm bullet. But, plenty of deer have fallen quickly to
the .243 Win. And that is only a 6.0mm bullet usually around 80 - 100 grains.
The Creedmore is just someone reinventing the wheel. There is nothing it does that
can not be done with either the .260 Remington or the 6.5x55mm Swede.
Actually, if the truth be told, more game has been taken with the venerable old
30-30 Win then just about any other caliber. In Europe, the 7.92x57 and
the 6.5x55 have been among the most popular deer cartridges.
The thing with 6.5mm rounds is that the BC of the 130 - 140 grain bullets is extremely
high so that these rounds like the .260 Rem and the 6.5x55 Swede maintain a lot of velocity
and energy beyond 500 yards. This is why they have found favour in many circles.
They also produce a light recoil even in light hunting type rifles with thin barrels.
With any caliber round, accurate shot placement is a must for humane kills.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually since I already have the 6.5 which has proven itself as a great hunting round ( look at the elk taken above) not going to buy a 7.62. But I will look at the 6.8 western which has better ballistics then 300WM 7mm and 300WSM for game like Elk. And it’s a SA which fits in my build. Just need for Bartlein to come out with a prefit barrel to swap. Don’t even think I need to swap out bolt head.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That’s great for you. But since I don’t have one I’m not buying one just to play in your 308 sandbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The way I look at both rounds is if I need to take something down and I with in my abilities I will shoot either of the rounds because they are both great rounds. The 6.5 CM bucks the wind better an on a windy day I would take that rifle out but if I had to choose which one is my favorite I don't have one because I look at a rifle no matter what Caliber it is as a tool and I pick the best tool I have to be able to get the job done. For the Condition I will be shooting in. Period!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
A rifle, any rifle, is only as good as the shooter. I'll take my old 1930 vintage Persian 8mm Mauser
and have no issue hitting accurately out to 500 yards with it's iron sights. At 500 yards
with iron sights, I can still keep bullet impacts within
a 10" or smaller group. That is more then good enough with the 8x57 round
for most all hunting applications under 500 yards. Big thing is that with the
180 or 200 grain bullets I load for that gun, it has plenty of knock down
power for most game animals in North America. Nit picking over calibers
is kind of off track. For a small person, suggesting a heavy loaded
300 Win Mag or RUM is not practical because of the recoil and recoil
induced flinching. It is better to use something like a 6.5 Creedmore, which
has very mild recoil then something like my 8mm Mauser or worse,
a big magnum that you are afraid to shoot due to how it abuses your shoulder.
Also, every man, woman, kid, brother, first cousin, grandmother et al has an opinion
as to why their favourite caliber round is THE perfect one. Like one person
said, they choose the tool, or rifle, for the job needed. By this it is meant, you don't take an
8mm Mauser to shoot a squirrel but on the other hand, you should not take
a .22 short deer hinting. You should know your gun, be good and accurate
shooting it and be realistic at what it can actually do with respect to terminal
ballistics at the range you plan to shoot. WHat works for one person may end
up, for what ever reason, be a poison for another. Bottom line in this discussion,
both the .308 and the 6.5 Creedmmore are great rounds and both are superbly accurate
in a quality bolt action rifle. Both will serve you well for game up to
deer sized quarry. Myself, my favourite and most accurate round is the
trusty old .260 Remington. That and the 6.5x55 Swede.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts