Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor starving college student here, and I dont have any target knobs for any of my scopes (i got a sightron 3-9 on my remington and a P4 for kicks), I'd really like to have target knobs, but I just cant afford it right now or for at least the next three years. So I'm going to try to make my own.
My idea to make one of them is to take a pice of pipe that fits aroud the scope chaning dile. measure out how deep down the penny normaly goes and stick a pieace of metal down in the "target knob", then sround it by magnets so it would stick (or maby velcro...). Then put it on and count off the clicks (1/4 click + four clicks = 1 moa) and paint a line...
Any oppinions on that?

How does a real target knob work? The one thing that really has me baffled is how the target knob stays on the chaning dile. Is their some special threading to it?

thx for looking and help.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
If you can find $50, this is what you should probably do.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=512088

These will fit your sightron, and some others.

The target knobs themselves are much more difficult to engineer than what you propose. The knobs themselves generally are a more integral part of the scope than what you indicate, but these stoneypoint dials are right along the same idea that you have.

MEL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The target knobs themselves are much more difficult to engineer than what you propose.
I was afrade of that... :(

Take me a while to find $50, but thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
boy, tell a sad story like this and I feel all compassionate.

Okay, what rifle / scopes do you have? Anything I might be interested in reviewing? (I'm trying to come up with an excuse to buy you a set of stoney point knobs)

MEL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mel,
You are about the nicest ex-infantry (still are at heart I'm sure) guy I have ever met. You do more for people on a daily basis than most any other infantryman does in a year (myself included). I would just like to say thanks for all the help you've given me and everyone else, along with this great wealth of knowledge.... Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
tyvick said:
Mel,
You are about the nicest ex-infantry (still are at heart I'm sure) guy I have ever met. You do more for people on a daily basis than most any other infantryman does in a year (myself included). I would just like to say thanks for all the help you've given me and everyone else, along with this great wealth of knowledge.... Thanks.
:oops:

well, thanks! I appreciate the kind comments. I just figure if I live the golden rule then it should have the trickle down effect..... A lot of people have helped me out over the years, I'd be disrespectful if I didn't do the same.

MEL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
boy, tell a sad story like this and I feel all compassionate.

Okay, what rifle / scopes do you have? Anything I might be interested in reviewing? (I'm trying to come up with an excuse to buy you a set of stoney point knobs)

MEL
Thanks you very much, I really apprecate it, but I would fell bad if I got some thing that I did not earn.

But, I dont have any thing special, a Remington 700, in .223 caliber (http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700sps.htm) with a sightron 3-9 (http://sightron.com/index.php?action=view_category&cat_id=1047413949), I use it for p-dogs and punching holes in paper. I'm not a great shot, can get about 1 moa, average (@ 100 yards) and have scene it do about .45 moa (about twice in owening the rifle over three years). Sorry, but I dont see any reason for you to give any of it a review. It's all pretty ordinary and average.

You'r a nice, generis, person and I thank you for serving out country but I just cant take some thing I have not earned. Thanks for you help again.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, maybe I'll just make you earn them then. Or do you have anything to trade? I love trading for stuff.....

MEL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not mind earning it. I've read alot of the books on sniping out their, like Marine Sniper, Shooter, Cold Zero, Ed Kugler, etc..., I would not mind writing reviews on them for the fourm. Or any other ideas would be apprecated.

As for a trade, the only thing that I can think of off the top of my head is my BB gun I have: it's a PPK, uses co2, 12 shot capacity, semi auto. But then again you probly have the real thing :(
Thinking.... Thinking....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts