Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Targets

15K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  FilGunner 
#1 ·
Just out of curiosity, Whats the strangest (read : funnest) target yall have ever shot at?

Ive shot at everything from egg's to stuffed teddy bears to moving RC cars and I'm planning on using those haloween pumpkins here in a couple days. :twisted:

If this needs to be in a different forum or isnt appropriate, then feel free to deleate mel.

#2 ·
It is in the "misc" section, so I'll let it fly.

Flashbangs at 500m were the most interesting (and fun).

At sniper school during FTX, we had an experimental full size maniquin (sp?) mounted on a 4x4 chassis, remote controlled. That was an interesting and cool moving target. I'm not sure if it became a permanent part of sniper school or not...

MEL

#4 ·
lol i was actually thinking of just coating them im kerosene and lighting em up.... my range is all dirt so theres no need to worry much about burns..

#7 ·
My brothers hard drive went corrupt, so that will soon find its way to the shooting range.

Two nice left over pumpkins are appealing too...and a life sized cut out of Michael Jordan will also come along. Can't wait to see how far I can score hits on Mike.

What would you guys think is a suitable caliber to shoot a hard drive with?

#8 ·
We've been smoking concrete drillings about the size of baked bean cans........they were gathered from building sites where the plumbing guys bored through a wall or floor to run pipes.
They explode in a cloud of dust and chips.......all nicely visual :D

#9 ·
Just a friendly reminder: Please clean up after yourselves!! I left a message on these forums a few months back about how horrible one of my favorite shootings places was treated by TRASH (used as targets) being left at this particular spot. I have no problem with shooting various objects, just be sure to clean up after yourselves.

thanks

MEL

PS - I did shoot a wrist watch once when it quit working.

#10 ·
yea i get pissed off when i go to the range and see garbage lying around down range
they dont allow it at the ranges i go to now and are pritty much restricted to clay and paper punching only
the times i shoot any target other than paper or clay is when i go to private land owned by my friend and shoot there

#15 ·
Got a couple new ones for y'all. Went out yesterday and tonight for some shooting and came up with these.

1: Take a 5 pound barbell and hang it from a tree/whatever youve got around using a piece of bailers twine at 100 yards. Try to shoot the twine.

2: Same premise, sept use a half gallon milk jug. Fill the milk jug with water and put a cheap glow stick inside it (be sure to use a clear milk jug). Shoot at night at distance. We did it at 300 yards. If you get really lucky you'll hit the stick itself and you get a nice green explosion.

3: Take a 4 foot piece of angle iron and beat it one foot into the ground so that the point of the 90 degree angle is directly infront of where you are shooting. Try to split a bullet on the point. We did this at 660 yards. I was unsuccessful. lol. I hit it a few times, but never split one.

4: Take your mother in law and...... nevermind.

#16 ·
hmmm, well I've shot TV's the tubes pop very visually on the first shot, CO2 cartridges which explode very nicely :twisted: , and clays. Clays are great fun and good moving target practice especially if you angle them just right to get some good elevation and distance. Not as easy when your not using a good 'ol scatter gun and only have one single projectile to hit with.

Great fun. :D

#18 ·
lol.... been there done that one. At one point my neighbor had 17 cats :shock: that we're living around his house. CZ 452 in 22LR and some RWS subsonics with a homemade silencer (read: 2L coke bottle taped over the barrel) make a fun combination. Out to 35 yards anyways.

#19 ·
re

Meh.... if someone shot my cat I would knea-cap them.

#21 ·
If you dont want your animal killed then keep it in your yard or in your home. When I wake up in the morning and find cats all over the hood of my brand new volvo then Im getting pissed about it. They were just strays that wouldnt go away because he kept putting food out for them. I talked to him about it and he claimed that it wasnt his responsibilty, therefore legally admonishing ownership of the animals.

#23 ·
heh but the bottle suppressors DO work on a .22 and ive used them to take out skunks in my back yard at night... dont want to wake the neighbors so they can call the cops
still nothin wrong with a bow for silent takedown, no one hears it a few hundred yards away and even if they saw it (which they woulnt) its gonna be a bit less threatening to most people

#24 ·
JRP3 said:
Point taken.

When I read your post I had a picture of you runnin around your back yard with a coke bottle duck taped to your pistol laughing histerically as you capped some kitties. :twisted:

Didn't mean to jump on ya, was a gut reaction post.

J
LMAO, Wearing all black kevlar spec ops gear and a black face mask. Rifle in hand looking all soilder of fortune, with a diet coke bottle duct taped to the barrel. LMAO. Wow, thats kinda freakin hilarious.

And yeah jeff, Ive moved to a crossbow for the varmint maintnance. Much quieter and cheaper as you can keep using the same arrows over and over again. 5 Arrows will get me through a full year usually, beings as i generally am really lazy about looking for lost arrows. Plus being in a subdivision makes discharging a weapon an issue. Ive got 2 shooting lanes that are semi acceptable during night time hours here and only with rimfire.

#26 ·
ooohhh, but some nights when that cat is in heat and yowling on your porch, and you gotta wake up at 6 am, and that 22 is there in the closet...hey, who can't say the thought never at least crossed their mind?

My shed was at one point taken over by wild cats. The noises they make...Or the raccoon that tosses my garbage not once, not twice, but thrice...he's on the hit list too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.