Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am going to catch shrapnel for this but I have several questions about the Tasco Scopes. First I understand that they have shifted ownerships around and blah, blah, blah. Right now I have my Remington 700 PSS .308 and CZ 452 .22lr varmint rifles equipped with Tasco 6x24x42 mil-dot scopes and my Savage .17 hmr and CZ Silhouette equipped with Tasco 2.5x10x42 mil-dot scopes. My questions are if these are crummy scopes why ? my optics are very clear at all ranges. they never have come out of zero (especially the .308 firing full power ammo) ? never fogged (I have left them in the snow to see if they would fog, they did not) ? I have compared them to scopes costing a LOT more and I cannot see any reason to get rid of the scopes. I shoot almost everynight and Saturday and Sunday on weekends. I can shoot .50 and .38 groups with these scopes consistently at 100 yards. The scopes hold up with no problem being hauled in a drag bag. I was just curious, I have talked to people who have both pros and cons with these scopes.

Tom

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The big concern I have with lower quality scopes is how well the adjustments are going to last. Tactical long range shooting involves many adjustments in the up down and left right. The cheaper scopes out there have nylon gears which wear out pretty fast, the next step up is brass, and then steel on steel (there are some brass on steel, and other combos). So, there more you use those adjustments, the more it'll wear down the nylon, and then soon, the one click does not equal .25 MOA, its .24, then .23 then .22 (etc, or even the opposite direction). Good way to test this is to fire the "box". Fire a group, then move the adjustments 6 MOA, fire a group, 6 MOA left, fire a group, 6 MOA down fire a group, 6 MOA right, fire a group. The first and last should be right on top of each other, and the other groups should move 6" in each direction (if shooting at 100y)

The lens coatings are another thing that is of less quality, which is most apparent in low light situations. (dusk & dawn).

The other thing that can be a problem is the point of aim when changing zooms. (this is hit and miss). Zero the rifle with full zoom. Then fire several groups at the mid zooms (like with your 2.5-10, do it at 10x, then 8x, then 6x, then 4x then 2.5x). Many times, the groups will be at different spots in the mid zooms, but right on for the min and max. The companies tend to verify the crosshair aiming points at the min and max powers but never check in between.

Recoil and fogging are generally fairly easy to guard against, but its the other things that they skimp on.

MEL

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scope

Mel,

Hi, I meant to clarify myself more on the reason for using the Tasco. For right now it is a matter of economics (and the clarity is excellent). I have used the Kahles and the Leupold so I know how they look too) I plan on upgrading the Remmy with Badger Ord. rail and a nice Leupold or Kahles tactical scopes I certainly was not trying to taught the Tasco as a tactical scope. It simply works for me what i am doing now...playing (but they are dead accurate) ...Now I will leave them on the three other rifles but the 700, it will get the above mods as mentioned. The other reason I bought them was I got a really cheap price, and if I bend a tube by accident, I am not out much. And I do realize that when a vendor sells a product and it is said to be cheap but good that some quality has been scrimpt somewhere. So far I have not had a problem but that is not to say that something will show up down the road. Maybe you can help me on the Leupold 30mm tube price wise?

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Box test

Mel,

I tried the above exercises with the scopes. I only had time to test three of them. I used Federal GM 168 clones and zeroed first at 100 yards, no wind, yeahhhhh!) The two 6x24x42 I have had for over a year and half, passed both the box test and the point of aim. So did the 2.5x10 (one of them .22lr) didn't have time to test the other. But like you said, material wise, if they are using inferior gears or components they could wear out. They have not failed me yet, but like I say, i am just playing, and I have plenty of time to select a fine quality scope. By the way the box game is fun, are there anymore shooting "games" that you know of ?

Tom

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Tasco = Trashco :lol:

I have a couple on old hunting rifles and they work great for that. I have one of the pronghorn 6-24-40 on a 22lr target rifle and it works great too, although I can tell a HUGE difference in the optics vs a Leupold. I have had several over the years that foged up (the main problem) and or break the cross hairs or something internal, same with some low end bushnells and simons. The best tasco that I have owned was a old Euro class 3-12-56 that I bought from Cabelas. Wish I still had it!!

If it works use it!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Get that high power tasco and zoom it all the way in... now look at a distant (500 yards or so) target and see how much darker it gets as apposed to a target that is close (100 yards or so). Also... when you zoom out to say 10X... it will lighten up some... but still not be as clear as a high quality scope. I garentee it!

BC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scope

Thanks for the input on the scope. All the tests work, except BC's light test. I have messed with that in the past, sometimes its good, sometimes it does darken, but the target itself stays clear. I could jump in my car right now and go buy a Leupold MK 4 out at Cabela's, but as the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, why fix it ?" When it does break I am going to buy something really nice along with Badger Ordnanace hardware (they are only a few blocks from my office). I do appreciate your tips and comments.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I put the same scope (Tasco Varmint/Target 6-24X42mm with .25Mil Mildot reticle) on one of my new AR-15's untill i could save up for a better scope... it is a peice of junk compared to my normal Leupold's and other high end stuff... ill post a pic in a few minutes.

BC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tabasco

Just saw your note BC. Of course a Leupold scope is going to make the Tasco look like junk when you compare them. If you don't mind my asking, why did you buy the Tasco ? I have been reading scope reviews like a madman today, and I just can't decide. Looking forward to the pic of your gun.

Tom

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ok here it is... cost me about $125 bucks including rings.

I bought it as an answer to the question... " what the hell will i put on this new upper untill i can afford the scope i really want? "

BC

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
QUICK LOOK................BC has one of those harry moving targets on this table, and its a big one too! :lol:

OK BC, now give us the details on the upper, or do I need to go get Snowy :lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Its pretty much just a basic DPMS Low Pro 20" heavy (just over 1" in diameter or so) barrel... 1:8" twist... button pulled rifling... freefloating with the exception of the gas block... SPADE has the same thing on his newest AR-15. With cheap FMJ ammo (surplus M-193) is gets around .75 MOA... with Federal GMM 68gr BTHP it gets around .30 MOA 5 shot groups.

Ignore the enormously fat cat in the background... he likes meowing at the birds and rabbits outside. He also likes making a mess with all his hair shedding all over my wood floor. This one time... he killed a bird (sea-gull) and drug it inside and desided to drag it up ontop of my $6,800 leather sofa (G/F's parents bought it thank god)... blood dripping everywhere. Gotta love cats...

BC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
scope

BC, Sounds like you are in the same boat as myself. Is that your spotter looking out the window ? After I moved out to the ranch two years ago I started shooting again. That is when I ran into the Tasco's at first. Anyway, thanks for the feed back, on the scope. I guess I really do not need to pursue this thread anymore. I do respect your opinions on this stuff.

Tom

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Its a fine scope for popping soda cans and things of that nature... but i would not do anything serious with it by any means... unless it is your only option. I plan on keeping it on the upper untill im done with my current rifle build (long range .300 win mag) and then possibly buying a better scope to replace it.

BC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts