Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw Taurus is going to offer a 1911 clone around Oct. I have shot a PT99 and I love it. Do ya'll think it would make a good sidearm? Heard any reviews? My current sidearm is a Bersa Thunder 380 I keep Corbons in. While it may seems small it has never had a jam in it's 800+ round life.

Thanks
Brian

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hi Brian,

If you ever do use the Taurus 1911 let us know what you think okay? I'm sure I'm not the only other person who is curious about it.
:)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm not really a clone fan. If it isn't an improvement on the real thing, what's the point?

-(L) snowy

·
Registered
383 Posts
Recoil said:
Because Colt sucks.

You guys can flame me all day on that one if you want, but the fact is, nothing made by Colt is any better than anything else made in the United States. They charge 25% too much for the stupid horse roll stamped on the side of the gun ... To Hell with 'em I say.
You win the prize for being 100% correct.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
There are plenty of people building off of the original 1911 framework that have paid their license dues. You won't catch a Colt in my house.

Taurus usually makes little cost shaving mods to their pieces to keep from paying for patents.

I don't want a corner cutting mindset behind my handgun.

Besides, Springfield Armory makes plenty of good low cost upgradeable 1911's.

-(L) snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
"Springfield Armory" today is just a name that was bought by a totally different organization, so it's a clone too really.

If one needs to spend the money to upgrade the SA pistol, and one needs the money to upgrade a Taurus pistol, what's the difference?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I've never had any good experiences with Taurus products.

In my fabricating experience I've never seen positive long results from people who mod popular designs to avoid patent payments.

Just my two cents is all.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from buying 1911 clones, just saying my view.

-(L) snowy

·
Registered
383 Posts
Until you know the Brazillians arent doing something correctly, why assume they are?

They could clone a Sig GSR, any Kimber to prefection and still charge a cheaper price. Just thier economy. I think thier revolvers are fine.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
That's pretty much my take on it too. Sig, Smith and Wesson, everyone has a 1911 clone by now. Cut corners or not, when a firearm has been around since 1911, even the cheaper foreign clones know what they are doing with it. Heck, evewn the Chinese got it right, and Wilson combat builds of those Nork pistols. Taurus 22 pump action rifles and Stoeger Condor shotguns made in Brazil are pretty cool.

We won't know until someone tries it, at any rate.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Link for Rock Island Arsenal? Google only turns up military sites and such.

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hey, if it goes bang every time, and it's as accurate as I am :lol: I'll pick one up!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I wanted to wait for the Taurus but I found a rock island armory for 250.00 So I bought it hands down. Like new in box with 3 clips, ran home and ordered a trigger, beaver tail, and hammer. I have never owned a 1911 style firearm before except a polish radom 9mm with nazi markings. So, far have took it apart about 7 times but haven't shot it yet. It's killing me I need to shoot it!

Brian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I shot some Remingotn Golden Sabers and some Remington fmj and have not had a jam. I tried cheap ammo and still no problem. I feel confidient enough to carry this gun in condition 1. Has anyone else here got one of these pistols?

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts