Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I got a new piece of kit today and since I know some other guys here are SKS shooters I figured I would pass along my review.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

The TS100 is a system that mounts M-16A1 rear sights to the receiver of an SKS carbine, and it's much needed. I hate the irons that come with the SKS and all the scope mounts I have seen so far suck, so I thought this would be a cool comprimise. The Williams Firesight set looked pretty nice but I like the GI style aperture and the extra 10 inches of sight radius from a rear mounted sight caught my eye. I got it and installed it today, total time was about one hour.

Pros:
Raised sights prevent me from having to mash my cheek onto the stock
Aperture sight is easier to use, and is adjustable for windage
Accepts any M-16 accessories like NM or tritium sights
Attaches to receiver and not the receiver cover
Comes with many pictures and detailed instructions.

Cons:
Requires permanant modifications
Needs to be removed for cleaning.

Basically, what you do to install it is ground off the reciever cover retaining pin, and use a supplied screw and washer to hold the reciever together and the sight attached to it. The sight has four small set screws that are flattened to keep flush against the rear of the weapon and are pre-dipped in thread locker. Once that is complete you remove the original rear sight, which was the hardest part. It's a job for three hands. I was able to kind of use it to co-witness the sights and see how I was aligned as I installed the TS100 though, before I took off the original sight. The other permanant mod was filing down some wood on the right hand side of the stock.

Suprisingly, it didn't require too much zeroing at all. I was pretty bored and shot at a Shoot-N-C target from 50 meters, not really trying for accuracy. I fired 10 shots as rapidly as I could, not looking for the X ring but firing as I saw the post on target. Going from standing to kneeling to prone, all 10 rounds fired were hits with one X, two 9, and all but two 7s going into 8 ring after that, which pretty much made a big 6 inch group. For rapid fire with Wolf ammo that wasn't half bad.

I'll probably try some accuracy tests seriously, with a better load soon and let you guys know how it goes. If anyone would like I could try to get a pic too.

All in all, great piece of kit.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, even with the SKS it can't be cheap to equip 12!

IMO, this is a lot better than any other SKS mod, so I figured people might dig the review. I'll get some pics ASAP.

·
Registered
152 Posts
hey muzz

hey muzz mate, nice sights i stil use my orignal open sights, i actually quite like them i got the new scope on its a nc star 4x30 mil dot ret. does the job nicly its holding a very accurate zero for a sks too,im running it on a b-sguare mount and getting 2 moa average, and i have also ordered one of these 5 shot duckbill detachable mags so im feeling a 20 or 30 shot is going to have to happen:D

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, here are the pics I promised. I tried to get a shot of the actual sight picture itself, but my photography kung-fu was too weak. As it is, this gives you a pretty good idea anyhow.

Nope, my sks was not made backwards, I just inverted the picture and was too lazy to fix it lol. Thus everything appears to be on the wrong side of the weapon.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
looks nice muzz-i'd be happy to just have the gun itself!!!

dom

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Hypno. Those new sights do help a lot though. The old ones were a really small notch, and mounted low. If I was the stature of a Chinese dude I probably wouldn't have to crush my face against the stock, but it really wasn't designed with me in mind.

The SKS is a good rifle if you know what to expect from it. Fit and finish are pretty bad, and the wood of the stock is soft, with shellack over it, but other than that it's pretty much a communist Mini-14. It's dependable enough that I ran about 400 rounds of Wolf and 100 of Remington through it thus far without a malfunction, cleaned it three times, and if you can live with 4 inch groups with it's normal irons, that's cool.

Mini-14 is $700 here...SKS was $150. Not a hard choice to make for a truck gun/beater rifle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i second that, i use the sks for hunting as its catridge if big enough to stop wild boar, and it haws a fast follow up shot and i wont threat if i scratch it:d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts