Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros. and cons. of the teflon/moly coatings?? I just got my new Remington 40XB Tactical (.308) and it has the Teflon coating on it and I really like it. (Have not got to shoot it yet, still got to get a scope). Thought about getting one of the other rifles done, maybe the olive drab?? Do any of ya'll guys have one like that?? Also, have any of ya'll heard of this company

SouthEastern Gun Company
John N. Dyer
501 St AndrewsCircle
Statesboro, GA 30458

They have great deal on coating and you don't have to pay till you are happy with the work. And other leads on good painters in the teflon field?? But back to the original question, just give me some pros and cons, I need the education. (any photos of the olive green???)

Thanks
caver101

·
Registered
67 Posts
Caver,

I haven't had any experience with teflon coatings on rifles, but this will fulfill one of your questions. This is a pic of an HS Precision RDR (Rapid Deployment Rifle) with an olive/black web stock. The metal on the gun is O.D. green teflon. The quality of the pic isn't real good, but you can see the contrast between the black scope and the green rings.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976477988.htm

Secondly, I've never heard of the metalwork on a gun getting moly coated. It's a coating I've seen on bullets to reduce copper fouling in the barrels of guns. Is it a barrel coating too, or did Caver mistake it for one?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Dan,

Here is what the guy is advertising:

"Teflon/Moly/Enamel is a very thin, hard-film coating used for anti-corrosion and lubrication applications and was originally developed for military equipment from heavy artillery to firearms and machinery for use in harsh, corrosive environments. In addition to achieving high-performance and accuracy from your firearms, equally important is protecting your investment by protecting its finish from the elements."

Now you see why I was asking about it. For $55 that is not to bad I guess. Bad part is - 8 weeks before he can get to it though. I may send a old S.S. Ruger hunting rifle and try it out. Any more coments???

·
Registered
67 Posts
The moly probably differs from the stuff used on bullets, but I guess it can be done. Learn something new every day, right?

The biggest advantage I could imagine is exactly what the guy says, anti-corrosion. If you're guns have stainless barrels/actions, I wouldn't really anticipate a problem. On the other had, I've had to clean off little patches of rust from the carbon steel of my Remington 700 VS.

In terms of disadvantages, I tend to agree with you that the wait is the primary one. I doubt anyone could really get their gun teflon-coated and come out of the deal unhappy (unless the workmanship was crap), but once again, I haven't done it.

If you decide you are going to send off a rifle to try it out, please post a picture/feedback so we can all take advantage of the great dael you found.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had my gun parkarized and dura coated and i like it i have no signs of any rust or corrosion its a lot tuffer than blueing. hope this helps. Lata

·
Registered
307 Posts
Teflon is the kind of stuff you'll find on your frying pan. It's tough, adheres well to the surface it is meant to stick too, and requires serious physical effort to scratch or peel. Unless you are going to be throwing your rifle into a barrel of sharp steel pieces, then rolling the barrel around, it'll do good for the rifle's exterior looks and cleanliness.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I've just had one of my L1A1's done in a matt black "Milspec" coating.
It was done over a phosphate (parkerised) coat and included the bolt and bolt carrier, this has made the action rack very smoothly. It looks great and so far seems durable. The guy who did the metal also did the wood furniture with a textured, high-build, two pack resin in pale grey. The rifle also has on it my first design attempt at a muzzle-brake......which works really well!! :)

I don't know how to post a picture here...but there is a picture of it at www.proshoot.co.nz cheers.

·
Registered
565 Posts
A somewhat technical question...

I'm getting a stainless steel Border barrel teflon coated. The "standard" is black. But is one colour better than the other? Olive drab? Green? Desert yellow? And I'm not really thinking about camo. More in sense of what's the best way of keeping the barrel as cool as possible.

Black gets really hot in the sun - that I know. But I've heard some people say this is because the heat is transported out of the metal. What's true and what's not :?:

The stock is a green AICS 1.5...so I think a dark desert yellow would look quite nice. The right shade of olive drab would be ok, too. Black's fine...but everyone has a black action, if you know what I mean. I would really want something like the digital camo Jeff Hicks make - but there's no way I'll ship my rifle from Norway to the USA for a paintjob. :wink:

I would appreciate both info and opinions! :wink:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want to keep it cool go with white or better yet ............don't shoot it! :D

No, really, I really don't know which will keep it the coolest. I would say that flutting the barrel would do the most good, it increases the surface area of the barrel and allows it to cool quicker. If it was me I would go with the olive drab green, it really looks good on a black stock. I don't "think" that the paint would make a huge deal (just want to match your area)..............any body else know more about this??????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kamatz,

If you are buying from Borders. Talk to JR about what coating to go with, he can probably direct you to someone that will give you a complete finish.

JLU

·
Registered
565 Posts
Caver101....no dice. I'm gonna shoot it, alright :mrgreen: I wouldn't mind olive drab, either...but it's just that I think it might look a tad funny on the green AICS stock. Not 100% sure, though...

JLU, yeah that would've been a good idea :wink: It's just that the barrel was ordered as a blank from a local gunsmith. It's now finished, LV profile with 22mm at the muzzle, chambered and seated in the action. And that leaves me with one long shiny object on top of my stock...and I hate shiny objects.

The gunsmith knows a guy who do teflon coating for the off-shore industry...so that shouldn't be a problem. I was just thinking colour. Something a bit different...

Thanks for the response, though.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry about the color advice, I thought that the stock was black. If I had the green stock then I would go with the black coating. Have fun, be safe.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah, make me regret picking the green stock.... :lol: I should've gone with black stock and olive green action/barrel. :wink: Oh well, there's always a next time....well, third actually.

I guess you're right on the green stock, black action/barrel, too. It might be plain - but it does look quite alright.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The SC1A2 I am building is going to be a "brown/brown" color combo, I'm excited to see how it turns out!

MEL

·
Registered
565 Posts
Got a colour sample? Two shades of brown can be very neat... Just looking at the lil' Bravo-51 pic up there it's pretty clear that dark brown and green go well together, too. I wish I was rich... :|

1 - 17 of 17 Posts