Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to this whole precision shooting thing, I’ve been doing a lot of “window shopping” for various things, one of which is ammo. Being one of those folks who is on a pretty tight budget, and not being one of those folks reloading at the moment, how much I pay for my match ammo is a fairly big deal. Especially when Retail prices on the major brands, Federal Gold Medal Match for instance, can run upwards of $30 for a box of 20 rounds.
Ever since I got into shooting, be it my pistol or my AR, I’ve searched high and low for the best bulk prices I could find on ammo. Once I entered the world of AR15’s this became somewhat simpler as there is a nice post on that forum that keeps track of the most popular .223 ammo. In bouncing from “sniper” forum to “sniper” forum I was kind of surprised to find that there was no such post for .308 ammo. Well, I hope to solve that, or at least set up the solution. If it's useful enough maybe Mele will consider tacking this?

Listed below are 5-6 of the most popular precision .308 rounds with pricing from those who carry it. I have not included everyone’s shipping charges as they may vary by where the ammo is being shipped and it’s a pain to have to register and throw something in the cart just to figure the shipping charges. If they are easy to find I’ve tried to include them. If you know the charges for someone I did not include, please pm it to me and I will add it. There are some vendors who don’t make much use of the web, but still have great pricing. You’ll find one below, but I’m sure I’m missing a bunch of others. Feel free to PM me with their contact information and please include their current pricing (with shipping if possible).

Shipping info (If a price is listed, it is for shipping to Florida and may vary, please pm shipping info if you have it for any vendor not listed) :
Ammoman: Shipping included in the price.
Tactical Supplies: Shipping included in the price
Surplus Ammo: High shipping, especially at low quantities.
Streichers: $25.00/case

Stock info:
If the site does not state it specifically, I've assumed stock. This is NOT always the case, especially with Sportsman's Guide, so if you try to order from one of the following sites and find they do not actually have stock, please pm me so I can update the list.

Format:
Manufacturer Weight
Vendor box price(stock), 500 case price(stock)

Federal Gold Medal Match--------------------168-------------------------------------------------------175
Midway USA---------------------------------------$30.99(stock)------------------------------------$30.99(stock)
AmmoMan-----------------------------------------$19.00(stock), $425.00(stock)---------------$19.99(stock), $425.00(stock)
Natchezss-----------------------------------------$25.49(stock)------------------------------------$25.49(stock)
Wideners------------------------------------------$24.50(OUT)-------------------------------------$20.00(OUT)
Outdoor Marksman-------------------------------$15.95(OUT)
Northwest Loading--------------------------------$19.89(stock)
Streichers-----------------------------------------$16.50(OUT)--------------------------------------$18.88(OUT)
Call 800-367-3763 for case pricing. Currently no stock.

Hoplite, Inc. 502-955-5014 order by phone 8am-5pm $385+delivery for 500 of the 168s. They are considering no longer carrying this because of price increases. Another price hike expected 9/1.
Kiesler's
Online store not functional. 1-888-543-7537, ask for retail sales.
Current price $359+shipping for a case of 168. Ships "adult (21+) signature required".

Black Hills--------------------------------------------------168-------------------------------------------------------175
Midway USA---------------------------------------$19.99(stock), $476.99(OUT)-----------------$21.99(stock), $527.99 (stock)
Northwest Loading--------------------------------$18.79(stock)------------------------------------$18.79(stock)
Competition Shooting Sports--------------------NA, $365.00(stock)-------------------------------NA, $426.00(stock)
West Texas Armory------------------------------NA, $388.81(stock)-------------------------------NA, $424.92(stock)
Tactical Supplies----------------------------------NA, $389.00(stock)-------------------------------NA, $440.00(stock)

Lapua Scenar--------------------------155-------------------------------------167------------------------------------185
Lapua Direct----------------------$25.80(stock)----------------------------$26.60(stock)----------------$27.00(stock)
Graf & Sons-----------------------$24.99(stock)----------------------------$24.99(stock)----------------$25.99(stock)

Hornady TAP--------------------------110-------------------------------------155------------------------------------168
Midway USA----------------------$25.99(stock)----------------------------$25.99(stock)----------------$25.99(stock)
Northwest Loading----$25.99(stock), $120.98(stock)---$25.19(stock), $120.98(stock)-----$25.18(stock), $120.98(stock)
Sportsman's guide---------------$19.97(stock)----------------------------$19.97(stock)----------------$19.97(stock)
Ammunition to Go-----$24.95(stock), $119.95(stock)---$24.95(stock), $119.95(stock)-----$24.95(stock), $119.95(stock)

Lake City M118LR----------------------------------------175 only
AmmoMan-----------------------------------------$19.00(stock), $399.00(stock)
The Armory----------------------------------------$17.99(stock)

Sellier & Bellot----------------------------------------168 only
Natchezss-----------------------------------------$17.99(stock)-----$16.94 @10+ boxes
Cabella's-------------------------------------------$18.99(stock)
Centerfire Systems-------------------------------$17.97(stock)

HSM -----------------------------------------------------------168------------------------------------------------------175
The Hunting Shack---------------------------------$14.87(stock)-------------------------------------$14.35(stock)
Surplus Ammo-------------------------------------$9.99(stock)

American Ballistics(ABT) M118LR--------------------175 only
American Ballistics Email or Call for pricing. (might try the phone as they never responded to my email) Per Mele, pricing is in the $325 range for a case of 500 rounds.
Losok Arms $15/box ($375/case) from our own Mlammers. See his post on the third page of this thread.

I'm happy to add to this if there is a consensus on what particular ammo to add. I would have added the PMC Mele noted in his ammo comparison, but I didn't see any. Also, I'd appreciate some input if anyone actually uses and wants the TAP 110 grain info in the list.[/url]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I get raped by ammo prices. Off the top of my head, Federal Gold Match .223 is £22.50 ($41.40) for a box of 20. Can't remember how much .308 was, but it will be more for sure.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
hkpete said:
If it makes you feel any better, I get raped by ammo prices. Off the top of my head, Federal Gold Match .223 is £22.50 ($41.40) for a box of 20. Can't remember how much .308 was, but it will be more for sure.
Ouch! Do they give you some lube to go with that?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Consider adding Sellier & Bellot .308 Match-it uses the Sierra 168 bthp mk, is at least equal to Federal GMM, and is price competitive. The drawback is re-loading since the primer pockets are not as deep as with U.S. made brass.

It is sold by Natchez SS for one and may be elsewhere. Right now it's going for around $16 for 20

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S&B is one of the manufacturers I considered including. I've heard good things about their accuracy. If I get a few more requests I'll go ahead and add them. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Please add the Lapua scenar ammo, it'll be on the comparison chart soon.

Hum, the S&B sounds interesting, I'll have to add it to the comparison also. Please post the link to where I can find some.

MEL

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll put the Lapua on the "too add" list. Here's a couple of links to the S&B:

Natchez @ $15.99 per 20 in stock

Well, make that a list of THE place that has it. Strange, but I can't seem to find it at any of the other regulars. Some have S&B but not the match loading.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mel, the S&B ammo is available at Cheaper than Dirt. They claim it's pretty popular. I have never tried it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tnc, do you have a link? I searched CTD and didn't find it anywhere?

I left them off of the list as their prices tend to be anything but "Cheap".

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't have the link. Sorry. I have only seen it in the catalogs. Maybe they are not selling it anymore. I agree they are anything but 'Cheap.'

·
Registered
253 Posts
http://www.tacticalsupplies.us/BLACKHILLSREDBOX.html

.308 Cal 168 Grain
BTHP Match 500 RD
$389.00 Shipped

.308 Cal 168 Grain
BTHP Match 200 RD
$170.00 Shipped

.308 Cal 175 Grain
BTHP Match 200 RD
$189.00 Shipped

.308 Cal 175 Grain
BTHP Match 500 RD
$440.00 Shipped

Just another place to order from. I like the free shipping.

***NOTE*** I have not ordered from here before. Just an internet find.

Brian

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brian, assuming they actually have stock or can order and sell at that price still, that's one hell of a find you have there. I went ahead and threw a few boxes into the shopping cart to see if on the off chance the shipping was free. It's not, but the 168s came out as $16.50! Not $18.88. The 175s are $18.88. $16.50 is by far the best per/box, non-case price I've seen for Fed GMM since I've been looking. I'm tapped at the moment or I'd have grabbed a handful of boxes to hold me over until I can buy a case. If anyone's looking for FGMM and are willing, try these guys out and let us know what the outcome is.

I've added the S&B onto the list. I've heard good things about it and it's the most inexpensive by-the-box of everything listed. I'll have to grab a few boxes the next time I'm ordering S&B handgun ammo from Natchez.

Mele, I'm having a devil of a time finding that Lapua ammo. Any idea where I should look? So far grafs.com is the only place I've found it. What loading are you looking for to be listed? They show 155, 167 and 185 with the Scenar bullet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK Mele, Lapua is added, all three weights. Two places listed, if you or anyone else finds a place with better pricing please let me know. I'll keep my eyes out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on Federal GMM. Pricing is going UP. Hoplite who was offering it for $340-ish only a couple weeks ago is now up to $400.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts