Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again rifle fans:

Let's talk about sniper ammo. What's the easiest and quickest way to produce sniper-grade ammo at home?

Cheat. That's right. We should cheat by simply copying Federal's Gold Medal Match load.

We know that Federal uses Sierra bullets, so without further ado, we reach for the Sinclair International catalogue.The 168 grain Sierra MatchKing appears on page 58. It is item no 2200 and sells for $26.75 per box of 100.

So we buy the Sierra bullets and while looking through the catalogue we see on page 20 that Sinclair has Federal large match rifle primers for sale. The item number is 210M and the price is $30.75 for a carton of primers.

We now have the exact bullet and exact primer that Federal uses in their match load. So let's look further through the catalogue and look for brass.

On page 61, Sinclair has Norma, Lapua and Nosler Custom brass. These three types of brass are better than the brass used by Federal. The Nosler Custom brass is weight-sorted to within .5 grains. The Norma brass features drilled flash holes and the Lapua is also fantastic stuff. So pick Norma, Lapua or Nosler. You cannot go wrong. I would pick Lapua .308 brass because it seems to be the best value. It costs $51.80 for 100 cases. The part no is #BR308-L.

This brass is so good that no brass preparation will be needed. Simply prime, charge and seat bullets. It's that easy.

For powder, use IMR-4064. This powder was used for years by the US military for match and sniper ammo. So let's keep it simple and stick to a known reliable standard. According to my Hodgdon manual the starting load for the 168 grain bullet in .308 Winchester is 41.0 grains of IMR-4064. The maximum load is 43 grains. I bet that something about 42 grains would be right.

We assemble the cartridge with these premium ingredients and we seat the bullet to the same length as the Federal factory load. And Bob's your Uncle and Fanny's your aunt. Sub-minute of angle accuracy.

It's that simple. I guarantee you that this easy-to assemble load will be at least as good as Federal's Gold Medal Match round. I think it might even be a better load because we're using better brass.

Anyway, let's get loading. You should contact Sinclair International

http://www.sinclairintl.com The telephone number is 800-717-8211

And buy enough components to load at least 500 rounds. After testing 20 rounds or so, you should store the rest in a properly labelled container. You need at least 500 to 1000 sniper grade rounds for your precision rifle. Get the ammo now while you can. Remember, the Democrats are coming.

Mad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
And buy enough components to load at least 500 rounds. After testing 20 rounds or so, you should store the rest in a properly labelled container. You need at least 500 to 1000 sniper grade rounds for your precision rifle. Get the ammo now while you can. Remember, the Democrats are coming.
Slacker .

And yes the Libtards are comeing .

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
madgunsmith said:
we see on page 20 that Sinclair has Federal large match rifle primers for sale. The item number is 210M and the price is $30.75 for a carton of primers.
mad,
Fluffy told me the other day that the Federal 210M primers have been quite hard to come by lately. I have had some luck with Remington 9-1/2 primers in my .308 loads, what are your thoughts on substituting this primer since it is much easier to find??

-matt

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To tell you the truth, I've got a bunch of Winchester primers that I bought back in 2000.

Primers don't make that much of a difference. But I was trying to cheat and reproduce Federal's load.

Did you contact Sinclair's? I would love to know how this load would work out with Remington primers.

I would be very grateful were someone to try this load out for us. I do not have any Federal GM factory loads handy; however, I seem to remember that the overall length is 2.800" . Can anyone confirm this?

Mad

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went and took at look at http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html There is lots of great information at 6mmbr, so pay attention. And take note what they say about Federal primers and Lapua brass. I think we are on to something.

And there is a match load listed for the .308 using IMR-4064 and the 168 grain Sierra Match King.

43.5 grains of IMR-4064, F210 Primer, 168 grain Sierra Matchking seated to 2.800". Muzzle velocity is 2600+. The load is reputed to be very accurate.

This load might be a little warm. But 42.0 grains should work. But I was correct about the seating depth. Use 2.800" for the Cartridge Overall Length.

Now will someone please load up some .308. Fluffy is getting impatient and my bleeding scratch wounds are killing me.
Mad.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
mad,

I have a fresh carton of Remington 9-1/2's and a box of Sierra 168's that I'd like to dive into, and will pick up some Lapua brass and IMR 4064 this weekend to brew some of this up. I am getting the itch to do some shooting, so I will do my best with this load and let you know how it goes. Sportsman's Warehouse is close to Petsmart, so I'll put some catnip in the mail for Fluffy, along with some antiseptic for your wounds.

-matt

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I don't want catnip. I'm not a common tabby. I want some Excelsior brand Scottish smoked salmon.

And hurry up Buster. I am not used to waiting. I want a full report on your loads together with pictures. The way I see it, if you can produce accurate loads, then anyone can do it.

Fluffy.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Will do Fluffy, I am still searching for some IMR 4064, I've been to 3 stores so far and all are sold out. :cry:

-matt

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
What kind of powders are available? Is there any Varget, IMR-4895 or H-4895?

I'm sure we can get something going with those powders. Let me know. And get that salmon together with some fresh bandages.

Fluffy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have (and am using) some AA2230 that seems to work quite well with the 168 Nosler bullets in Nosler brass. Mad, I understand about ball powder, but I also use this powder in my 223 and 223AI. The objective is to use one powder for several of my cartridges. It seems to work well for me. BTW I've been shooting in 90+ temps with no problems.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kind of groups are you getting with these cartridges?

What are your loads? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mad.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Because we're getting the house ready to move :( I can't get to most of my reloading data right now. I don't remember the 308 load but the 223AI is 27.3g with the 52g SMK and Rem br primers. It shoots into .28 and is devistating on prarrie dogs and rabbits. I loaded this load using the Dillon RL1050 and loaded until I ran out of components on hand at the time. I'll post something about using the progressives when I have a little more time and am able to get to things.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
FluffyTheCat said:
What kind of powders are available? Is there any Varget, IMR-4895 or H-4895?

I'm sure we can get something going with those powders. Let me know. And get that salmon together with some fresh bandages.

Fluffy
I picked up a pound of H-4895 and a 50-round box of Nosler custom brass ($38.95/50) at Sportsman's Warehouse on the advice of a gentleman who works there, and oddly enough is quite knowledgeable on these things. I also picked some more Sierra bullets before they hit another price hike soon. The load I have will be a red-headed stepchild of mad's load since the powder and primers are of a different breed, but dimensionally they will be the same. It will be interesting to see the differences, but I will post my results with this load here in this thread, and if folks are having any difficulty finding components for your suggested load, this may be a second-choice alternative. I will advise when I have made progress.

The man at the store shared another good tidbit with me while I was at the store. He said that they nearly had to beat it out of a Federal representative, but the powder in Federal GMM is actually IMR-4064. With this tidbit of information along with your other information mad, one could dissassemble a GMM round and reproduce it nearly 100% correct, and actually better considering the use of more consistent brass. This is good news for everyone and can save us a lot of money.

Fluffy,
The salmon is on ice until I can pick up dry ice for shipping it. The antiseptic and gauze are already on their way.

-matt

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Monteboy:

The information about the Federal load is fantastic. If anynone has a few of these rounds, I'd be interested to see a few of these rounds disassembled.

Now I am sure that H-4895 will work just about as well. The type of propellant is less important than the bullet or brass. As long as we have propellant of an appropriate burn rate, we will be just fine.

Looking at my Hodgdon book the maximum load for the 168 grain bullet is about 42.0 grains of H-4895. This charge produces about 2679 fps at a pressure of 49,200 Copper Units of Pressure. The starting load is 38.5 grains and this produces 40,200 CUP.

Now would you please develope this load and load towards 41.0 grains of powder. I think that 41.0 grains should produce a good stiff load that would likely be safe in everything. I would like your loads to be able to work in everyone else's .308. So if you would load towards 41.0 grains, I would be thrilled.

And pressures permitting, I want to see the results of several groups fired with 41.0 grains of H-4895.

So in summary, Monteboy plans to load the 168 grain Matchking in Nosler brass with Remington primers. The overall cartridge length will be 2.800" and he will load around 41.0 grains of H-4895.

I'm predicting sub MOA. And all of this waiting is driving me

Mad.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
madgunsmith said:
So in summary, Monteboy plans to load the 168 grain Matchking in Nosler brass with Remington primers. The overall cartridge length will be 2.800" and he will load around 41.0 grains of H-4895.

I'm predicting sub MOA.

Sounds good. I'm hoping for some promising results out of this. I'll be using my Model 70 Stealth II (which has been bedded and had the trigger tuned up) for the group testing, this rifle shot sub-1/2 MOA out to 250 yards with GMM. Groups will be fired this weekend as I should have loads brewed tonight.

-matt

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have brass in the tumbler right now, Hornady .308 match brass, CCI primers, IMR-4064, and SMK 168's. My OAL are going to be long as I seat the bullets pretty far out to be just a bit off the lands. I'm going to load a group of 2.800 OAL's to see how they perform. If they perform well, that'll be nice because then I can start using the magazine since my normal rounds are too long to fit in the magazine.

According to IMR's website, 41.5 @ 2518 is the starting load, and 45.9 @ 2766 is the max. I took apart some of my old rounds and found 45.0 grains in there. Some of my old load data i've found states that my accuracy load was 44.5 grains. I believe at that time I was shooting for 2700fps, however I don't have a chrono so I don't know. If any of you are in the Kansas City area and would like to go shooting sometime, and let me shoot some rounds through the chrono that would be nice. However for the time being i'm going to find (once again) my accuracy load that i'm going to shoot for everything, and then chronograph it so I can print out my ballistic charts for long range shooting.

What are y'alls thoughts, start at 43.0 grains and do 1/2 grain increments up to 44.5 with a consistant OAL? I only have 25 cases of the Hornady match cases, lots of Winchester brass, and 100pcs of brand new purdy nickel federal premium cases. I think that if I shoot consistant 1/2MOA groups on my Savage 10 tactical, Choate USS, Leup VXIII LR M3 i'll be happy. I've done better before, but that's been a while, I need to buy a few hundred cases of premium brass and weight sort them into large enough batches to have several groups of identical (in every way) reloads.

After I go to the range on Sunday i'll post up my findings. Probly won't be as impressive as some other folks on here, but i'll post it none-the-less.

Branden

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks very much for the writeup Mad. I just ordered about 2500 rounds worth of supplies, so when they come in, I'll be rolling up some Fed GMM clones and report the results.

Mike

1 - 20 of 164 Posts