Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
jeffdorr said:
Did you change bullet brands, or types? Different bullets may have different ogive lengths , where the bullet actually touches the rifling lands first.

Your chamber may also be fouled from light loads that don't seal out burnt powder.

Do your bullets extract with difficulty, or do they just load hard?

Do you load with the same die every time (stupid question, but one never knows)?

Have you compared your bullet to a factory load?

Jeff
Bullets remained 168 SMK across the board;

I started shooting yesterday with a clean barrel. My first load down range was 42.0 gr of IMR 4064. Would that be considered a light enough load to foul the chamber?

All fired cartridges extracted with ease;

The cartridges loaded with H4895 were loaded using a Lee full length sizing die, Lee bullet seating die, and a Lee factory crimp die...The cartridges that gave me a hard time closing the bolt (the ones loaded with IMR 4064) were loaded with a Hornady full length sizing die, Hornady bullet seating die, and a Lee factory crimp die.

Compared to a factory load, they look the same, but I'm going to MIC them after work.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I'd first check out the different dies, and see if there's a difference. Try loading with the die that seems to make the cartridges fit. Factory loads are set up to meet SAAMI spec, so measuring one should give you the dimensions.

Jeff

·
Registered
253 Posts
Checked operator headspace and timing...that solved the bolt closing hard issue. Loaded up all the same I4064 charge weights to try again.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Glad you got it working Brian!

Did you need to screw the Hornady die a little farther into the press?

In my very limited reloading experince, I am finding the Lee dies give you the tightest resize, especially in regards to the case head. Maybe its just me, but it does a snugger job than my RCBS, especially on cases coming out of my Garand or Nork M14. I was worried I would need an SB die.

But....I wanna give the X-die a shot.

Two H-4895 loads I am havin fun with are the 43 grain, 110 V-max in 308 (starting load, but shoots great in my Savage) and in 30-06, 57 grain and 110-v-max, a maximum load.

Tryin 155 grain A-max in the 308 seated to 2.800 and 43, 44, and 45 grains of H4895 soon too.

Also Fed brass here, but I am starting to groove on Win.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am interested in starting reloading as soon as I get what it is I need. So with that said, when stored correctly, how long will the powder last?

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Decades really, if properly stored I'd be willing to bet that it would outlast any of us, I have had plenty of 60+ year old ammo that went bang every time.

Rigger

·
Registered
213 Posts
I want to reload .243, 30.06 and 300 win mag, could it all be done with one powder? From what I've read i think i can use one for .243 and the 30.06 but would need a different powder for the 300 win mag, is that correct?

·
Registered
103 Posts
You didn't mention any particular bullets, but IMR 4350 would work for any of those calibers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't done much bullet research, the 30.06 and 300 win mag are for taking elk and deer only, the .243 will be for deer and used as a target rifle. The bullets i have looked at are the berger 115g vld and the DTAC 115g vld bullets, both for the .243.

·
Registered
29 Posts
madgunsmith said:
John:

For the calibers you have, IMR-4895 is what you should use. This powder will work very well in your AR-15. It will also work very well with the other calibers you have in mind.

I have not noticed much of a difference with primers. I currently use Winchester primers and these work well. I like Federal Match primers, but I can't shoot well enough to see much of a difference. I have used CCI primers and these worked well too. Just buy as many primers as you can afford.

Longshot's powders are also a fine choice for certain calibers.

I really like Unique not only as a general purpose handgun powder but also as a shotgun propellant.

Mad.
Unique, I use for .308 180gr casted bullets................accuracy @ 200 is good (Rem 700).....In a pinch you can't beat Unique, I also use it for my 45 , 357 and shotgun............Casted bullets and Unique is better than throwing rocks, cheap also.......... :lol:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Mad, I just got some .223 dies and a new Lee Classic Turret Press. I read what you said about IMR-4895 earlier, but somehow I ended up with an 8 lb. jug of IMR-4064 in the basement. I don't remember why, it was either because someone determined it's used int FGMM in .308 or because it's what they guy at the end of the last gun show I went to had left on the last day. :wink:

At any rate, is IMR-4064 OK for .223, or is there a reason to get something else? I'm willing to get something else, but I'm going to have this damn 4064 around until I'm way too old to shoot, if I just load .308 with it.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
IMR 4064 is very close to IMR 4895 in it's uses and burn rate.While not exact, it can be substituted in many loads. They both are useful in the same cartridges.

Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts
what about western tac or AA2520 the 2520 i have used the tac i have on order im loading for 6.5GRENDEL 5.56 30-30 and 303brit

·
Registered
95 Posts
Has anyone got much experience with CFE223 I picked up 8 pounds and I find it makes pretty decent AR ammo but I also want to try some in 155 and 147 grain 308's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm switching from imr 4350 due to it's lack of availability. H 4350 is just about as bad so I picked up some imr 4451 in an effort to gain some control over temperature variations that I shoot in. The 25-06 shoots fantastic with 55.5 grs of I'm 4350 pushing a 75 gr Sierra hp. Question is how much to back off using the 4451??? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I'm switching from imr 4350 due to it's lack of availability. H 4350 is just about as bad so I picked up some imr 4451 in an effort to gain some control over temperature variations that I shoot in. The 25-06 shoots fantastic with 55.5 grs of I'm 4350 pushing a 75 gr Sierra hp. Question is how much to back off using the 4451??? Any thoughts?
Read this artivle. Pay close attention to the first part about finding pressure nodes.

https://goo.gl/rlh8Pi
Primal Rights, Inc :: Load Development

21 - 39 of 39 Posts