Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is kinda for mel but if you guys know then plz tell me. I was wondering what barrel the marine corps use for there m40a-1. The lenght, kind(I thought they used h-s precisions barrels) stainless with paint or blued and what contour they use. If you know plz tell me.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The M-40A1 was replaced by the M-40A3 in the year 2000. But... if you still want to know about the M-40A1... it has a 24 inch barrel with 6 lands and grooves in a 1-12 inch button pulled right hand twist... i cant seem to remember who use to build the barrels for the M-40A1's... all the official military training manuals i have say "built by master armorers at the Marine Corps Special Weapons Company, Quantico Virginia".

·
Registered
266 Posts
not trying to sound like an ass,but you could have easily found that info on the main page,again not to sound like an ass,but check there first next time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its ok you saying that just makes you look like an idiot. The stuff i asked is not on the page thats why im asking, but its ok.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
:lol: "Why cant we be friends... why cant we be friends..." :roll:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Can't we all just get along!

Its funny, cause I PMed BC about damn near the same question yesterday lol

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yea but you asked about the M-40 not the A1... i gave you a little bit of info on both though :wink:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Natedogg48 said:
Its ok you saying that just makes you look like an idiot. The stuff i asked is not on the page thats why im asking, but its ok.
Naming yourself after a used up rapper doesn't shine of intelligence, either. ;-)

Friendly jab--let's all calm down. :) Look at me, my name is Scratch!

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
94 Posts
N-Dog48,
I think this is the information you might be looking for.
Barrel specs and a little history on the M40A1. Back in 1976 the Marine Corp sent it's M40 rifles to be rebarreled by the Atkinson gun Company in Arizona. In 1982 Bill Atkinson sold his operation to HS Precision and until then, the now M40-A1's were only rebarrled with this manufatures barrel. When HS Precision moved its operation to South Dakota they could not keep up with the Marine Corps demand for barrels so they lost the contract. The new contractor was Hart Rifle Barrels CO. I don't know if they are the current contractor for the M40-A3 but I know they were for the A1.
Some detailed specs on the barrel

-24" 1 in 12 twist stainless Hart barrel not sure if it's a right or left twist
-The barrel taper measures 1.18" at the receiver and tapers at a rate of about 0.1159/inch. The muzzel measures about .90"
-The muzzle is counterbore crowned to a depth of 0.100" and 0.700" wide across the bore.
-The barrel was finished in a black oxide but I have no idea which one.

When I was 14 I wanted an M40-A1 more than anything. My father did his home work and had one built to spec by a gunsmith friend of the family{my godfather}. He gave it to me on my 16th birthday. When my father passed on last year I was going through a bunch of boxes and found his notes on the specs of the rifle. He must have phoned every Tom, Dick and Harry to get the information,but my God Father said he got most of his information from a retired armorer who used to build them and all it cost dad was a bottel of scotch.
I hope this helps.

cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
114 Posts
Scatch Maroo said:
Natedogg48 said:
Naming yourself after a used up rapper doesn't shine of intelligence, either. ;-)

Friendly jab--let's all calm down. :) Look at me, my name is Scratch!

Scatch Maroo
Actually it says SCATCH Maroo on my screen there buddy but hey maybe my computer is messing up. i will start calling you scratch instead.
:lol:

·
Registered
994 Posts
LONG TRA'NG said:
Actually it says SCATCH Maroo on my screen there buddy but hey maybe my computer is messing up. i will start calling you scratch instead.
:lol:
The big joke is that when I first came about these boards, everyone would call me Scratch, despite my pleas to call me otherwise. Just thought I'd toss in a little meeeemorieees... nothing more than, meeeemorieeees...

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say "My name is Scatch. S-C-A-T-C-H" :p

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I thought there was some talk of going to "Scrotch". What happened to that guy? "Publickskoolproducked" or something? Or maybe that wasn't another guy... Has anyone ever seen Scrotch and Publikskulepraduct in the same room? Reminds me of some of my own nicknames. It was "Kazzie" for a while, which is actually still used by a couple people but never to good effect. I've heard the same phone conversation numerous times: "Yeah, Kazzie's here too. No, Kazzie. KAZZIE not CASSIE! KAZZIE! You know, KAZ?" At college since I have the same initials as he does, it was Jesus Christ. I had a bit of a problem with that one... I let my chores be handled by my roommates for a few weeks until I got the new one "Jesus" (spanish pronunciation). But that was a pain the ass to say "Hey Jesus" so it was shortened to just "Zeus", which I haven't heard since late '01. Along the way some people experimented with "The Kazmanian Devil", "Kazman", "Cheech" (I don't know why, it was some stoner at a party I never met before), and whatever else... Though a surprising number of people I went through HS with don't know my real name. :lol: It seems "Kaz" is the one that has stood the test of time. Uh, what was the question in this post? Oh! I'd go with a Swarovsky if you've got the bucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts