Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
That is the Howa 6.5 Varmint action?
MDT chassis obviously. What magazine? Magpul?
Really nice looking.
How does it shoot? Factory trigger?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah that's the Howa 1500 Varmint action in 6.5 Creedmoor. FDE Cerakote, MDT magazine as well. I REALLY like MDT as a company and their products/CS is top notch. It is an outstanding shooter and a pleasure to shoot. I haven't measured groups with a ruler or anything but this is my first 3 shots with the rifle at 100 yards after getting on paper.

That is using PRIME 130gr; it is excellent ammo.

The trigger is the factory HACT trigger, which is pretty good for a factory trigger. I've got a Timney on the way, should be here next week. I'm not really sure why Howa is not more popular than it is. Everything about the action/barrel is of higher quality than its rem700 counterparts (I own a few). I'll be building the rest of my guns off of this action. Thank you for the kind words.

That is the Howa 6.5 Varmint action?
MDT chassis obviously. What magazine? Magpul?
Really nice looking.
How does it shoot? Factory trigger?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I don't have to as I have had a custom 6.5 Creedmoor since 2008 and getting another Creedmoor barrel screwed on my switch barrel Surgeon action now but figured someone would love to pick that up for a good deal. I have checked out the Howa actions when out at Controlled Chaos Arms teaching as Michael really likes them and they are very well made and the triggers are pretty nice for factory rifles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have to as I have had a custom 6.5 Creedmoor since 2008 and getting another Creedmoor barrel screwed on my switch barrel Surgeon action now but figured someone would love to pick that up for a good deal. I have checked out the Howa actions when out at Controlled Chaos Arms teaching as Michael really likes them and they are very well made and the triggers are pretty nice for factory rifles.
Sounds like you will have an excellent rifle on your hands! The Howa rifles are great factory guns and would make a fine platform to build on. According to a few sources, their actions are very true from the factory. Couple that with the m16 extractor and the one piece bolt, $550 is a steal for a barreled action. I'll burn this barrel up and find a smith to turn me a Bartlein or Brux.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Thanks. Couple pics of my original rifle with it's second barrel when I was out testing a PST scope. Usually wears a Razor II shown in the second pic. Shoots pretty good too with the new Hornady 140 ELD-M factory ammo.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I REALLY like MDT as a company and their products/CS is top notch.
I tend to agree. I just received a TAC-21 Chassis and at first look it's as well made as most aerospace parts. All of the pieces fit together with perfect exterior surface match and no 'slop'. Finish is excellent. Didn't realize that the company's US sales office is located just 1.5 hrs away (79 miles) in Orkan's old "stomping grounds". If I'd realized that I would have picked it up rather than have Brownell's ship me one.

It will be some time before I get to actually shoot the rifle I'm building with it as two days ago my wife was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. Shooting will take a back seat to much more important things. The next several weeks involve lots of Doctors, Hospital, Surgery, and more drugs (most likely different though) than Jerry Garcia or Keith Richards took, possibly combined. Life definitely has taken a turn in our house.

BTW on Howa not being as popular as it could, Japan has never been look to for precision rifles, especially among oldtimers that remember the Arisaka's. Remington still maintains popularity due to the abundance of aftermarket support. Doesn't mean anything about quality, just quantity.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
DS2, Best wishes for your wife and yourself.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I tend to agree. I just received a TAC-21 Chassis and at first look it's as well made as most aerospace parts. All of the pieces fit together with perfect exterior surface match and no 'slop'. Finish is excellent. Didn't realize that the company's US sales office is located just 1.5 hrs away (79 miles) in Orkan's old "stomping grounds". If I'd realized that I would have picked it up rather than have Brownell's ship me one.

It will be some time before I get to actually shoot the rifle I'm building with it as two days ago my wife was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. Shooting will take a back seat to much more important things. The next several weeks involve lots of Doctors, Hospital, Surgery, and more drugs (most likely different though) than Jerry Garcia or Keith Richards took, possibly combined. Life definitely has taken a turn in our house.

BTW on Howa not being as popular as it could, Japan has never been look to for precision rifles, especially among oldtimers that remember the Arisaka's. Remington still maintains popularity due to the abundance of aftermarket support. Doesn't mean anything about quality, just quantity.

Absolutely right on the Howa quality/precision being overlooked.

Very sorry to hear the other news however. Way too much of the big "C", in my immediate family in the last few years.

Prayers to both of you.

Terry

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I will agree, Howa is VERY under appreciated. My personal opinion is that their Weatherby rifles are actually better than the domestic MK-V version.
I found this the other day and remembered it when you discussed the barreled actions.

Legacy Sports - Barreled Actions

Pretty good deals there if you asked me ...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Only thing about the Howa is they discontinued true Stainless actions last year.
Now they are Cerakoted Stainless. Still some NOS true SS out there in crappy Hogue stocks to be had in the hunting profile barrels.
Never made any SS 6.5 Creedmoor but there are some SS Swedes out and about and 24" 308 HB that come up barely used from time to time.

I called about the SS Varmint actions and they are all Cerakoted even though it just says Stainless.
If you have one of the older Stainless 308 Actions hang on to it.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
DS2, Best wishes for your wife and yourself.
Deadshot sorry to hear that about your wife. All the best to both of you and good luck in the fight ahead.
Deadshot best wishes man
Hang in there, deadshot. Best wishes for your wife.
I'll say a prayer for you and your family.
Very sorry to hear the other news however. Way too much of the big "C", in my immediate family in the last few years.

Prayers to both of you.

Terry
I want to thank all of you for your sentiments and encouragement. The initial feeling is like you just stepped in front of the place-kicker in a NFL game as he followed through on his kick and got you dead center in the "you know where". As a family we're coming to grips with what lies ahead and we're as strong as can be.

I apologize for the distraction on the thread.

Again thank you all.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
You guys can beat it! Think outside the box!

https://forums.gunhive.com/category/38/homemade-hive < My wife is huge into natural healing. You would not believe what that stuff can do for you. I'd strongly encourage you to take a look at some of that in there, as it has changed all our lives for the better. I spent about 3 years in constant agony due to kidney pain. Doctors, thousands of dollars of doctors and drugs... and nothing helped. Now I take a table spoon of baking soda every day in the morning, and I feel no pain. A miracle, is what that discovery was. I have read extensively that baking soda also helps cure cancer. There are numerous reports of people completely curing cancer, without chemo, with baking soda and clean living.

I'm not a doctor... but my family is no stranger to life-threatening illness. Your best weapon is a positive frame of mind and the willingness to adapt. Ignore what other people "think" you should be doing, and do what is necessary for the safety and health of your family. If you want some help finding some natural ways to help the chemo sickness, just post over on gunhive in the 'homemade hive" section and I know my wife can give you guys all kinds of suggestions to try.

I'm not going to say "I'm sorry" and all that. You haven't lost anything, and you have nothing to feel sorry about. You just have a little trial ahead of you, and I'm convinced that you guys will beat it! Throw everything you've got at this thing. Research the affects of an alkaline body vs an acidic body. Kill it, and keep it killed! It doesn't stand a chance! If there is anything at all that I can do to help, just let me know!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
You guys can beat it! Think outside the box!

https://forums.gunhive.com/category/38/homemade-hive < My wife is huge into natural healing. You would not believe what that stuff can do for you. I'd strongly encourage you to take a look at some of that in there, as it has changed all our lives for the better. I spent about 3 years in constant agony due to kidney pain. Doctors, thousands of dollars of doctors and drugs... and nothing helped. Now I take a table spoon of baking soda every day in the morning, and I feel no pain. A miracle, is what that discovery was. I have read extensively that baking soda also helps cure cancer. There are numerous reports of people completely curing cancer, without chemo, with baking soda and clean living.

I'm not a doctor... but my family is no stranger to life-threatening illness. Your best weapon is a positive frame of mind and the willingness to adapt. Ignore what other people "think" you should be doing, and do what is necessary for the safety and health of your family. If you want some help finding some natural ways to help the chemo sickness, just post over on gunhive in the 'homemade hive" section and I know my wife can give you guys all kinds of suggestions to try.

I'm not going to say "I'm sorry" and all that. You haven't lost anything, and you have nothing to feel sorry about. You just have a little trial ahead of you, and I'm convinced that you guys will beat it! Throw everything you've got at this thing. Research the affects of an alkaline body vs an acidic body. Kill it, and keep it killed! It doesn't stand a chance! If there is anything at all that I can do to help, just let me know!
Thank you. I feel more than blessed in that not only do I have a great family but one of the family members, well perhaps my future daughter in law anyway, is for lack of a better description a "Wellness practitioner". I agree that feeling sorry doesn't add to anything. We'll be fighting the good fight and "long faces" are NOT allowed around here.

When all is said and done, we're both in our 70's, have had a great life together (over 30 years) and we realize that nothing is forever. Again, we'll fight using everything available to us and look forward to more years together.

Thanks again.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts