Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post this since we talked about the 338 short mag concept not long ago. It seems people really do think there is a 338 WSM, even though it doesn't exist.

http://www.superiorammo.com/ammolist.html

There it is on the list.

"If you don't see it here, we can find it! Unusual or hard-to-find cartridges can be specially made from cylinder brass, or we can neck down or up and fire-form cases if necessary."

Heh, I hope its just a mistake, and they aren't making it.

Douglas and Pac Nor sell barrels chambered in 338 WSM, so I suppose its 300 WSM necked up to 338, resulting in 338-06 results at best.

Just the same though, someone actually sells ammo for it, and if you do, could you call it WSM??

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If i remember correctly... accuracy results with this caliber really sucked. Not sure why any one would want a really crappy caliber... thats why Winchester is now making a .35 WSM instead of a .338.... the .338 WSM just really sucked.

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on both counts, BC.

.325 far outdoes it...An 8mm 220 grain round at 3060 fps is better, higher SD than a 338, the 338 WSM was weak, etc etc.

About the accuracy, could it have to do with the rancid seating depth of the bullet, to allow it to fit in the 300 WSM case? I know it sure wasn't seated with the diameter actually being .338....probably more like .329 or so...and that cut down case capacity a lot...but it would make the round less accurate too, right?

I also have no idea why someone would want it

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hmmm.... i have no clue about seating depth. Ill look into it in the next few days... see what i can dig up. But as of right now i think i need to hit the rack... its 12:52 midnight... i have to be up in 5 and a half hours!

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Well i know i said i would look for .338 WSM loads and casing dimentions ect ect... but i cant seem to find any. Any one find any?

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Magazine said they work best with bullets in the 180 grain range, which obviously have a poor SD...I can check the figures when I find the book. Apparently the diameter of the bullet where you must seat it is .330 with some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts