421 - 440 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks for the info, I may have to try it myself :mrgreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Remi .308 tactical stock form with trigger adjust to lighter pull with adjusting screw
Nikon prostaff 3-9x40
Hornady 168gr z-max

3 shot group @ 100 yrds

3 shot group @ 200 yrds

·
Registered
139 Posts
This year is my first time shooting in over a decade, and I'm pretty rusty. I've also never shot at a range before this year, never used a bipod before, etc. I've been working on natural point of aim, loading the bipod, and aiming with the beanbag under the stock rather than muscling the gun, as well as smooth trigger pull and sensible breathing control.

Yesterday I got some groups that I didn't think were as utterly embarrassing as all the previous shots. :) So here they are.

IMG_2075.jpg
This was by far my best. I was not compensating for the wind, which was variable between 3 and 10 mph from 210 degrees or so. I thought I pulled one shot, so I shot four.

IMG_2077.jpg
This was an early group, hitting low because I had removed my scope the week before so it was a bit off. Pleased to have two practically on top of each other!

Range info:
100 yard range
elevation: 5125
temp: 77 F
humidity: 53%
wind: 3-10 mph from S/SW
pressure: 30.11 in/hg
rifle: Rem 700 in .308, 26" barrel with 1-12" twist
ammo: Norma TAC 150gr FMJ

Obviously, I'm still learning, but I want to say how much I appreciate the advice and knowledge here. Thank you all!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm a new member - thought I'd toss my hat in the ring, so to speak. I was at the range 2 days ago testing some longer-range loads for my AR that I'll be using in 3-gun competition. Here's the photo of the winning load:

IMG_0058.JPG

And here are the particulars:

Range info:
Range: 200 yards
Elevation: 390 ft. ASL
Temp: 82 F
Humidity: 65%
Wind: 0 mph
Pressure: 30.11 in/hg
Rifle: Bushmaster XM15 in .223/5.56, 16" barrel with 1-9" twist (only barrel, lower rec., and buttstock are from the original rifle)
Optic: Nikon M223 1-4x 600BDC (@ 4X)
Ammo: Reloads - Sierra Match-King 69 gr. BTHP, 25.0 grains Varget, Lake City 1998 series brass, CCI Sm. Rifle primers.
Group size: 1.060"

Let me say - it was NOT easy shooting groups with a 4X scope at 200 yards! But that's the scope I'll be using in matches so I'd better get used to it!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Working on a Varget load for .204 Ruger, and I'm impressed by how accurate Varget can be in a small caliber like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413415833.820169.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413415849.738525.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
While not the greatest grouping in the world, this was done w/ a 22LR on a windy day using standard Federal Champion ammo. So not too shabby :)
CZ455_Best_Group_50yd_Windy.jpg
50yds, 15-25mph cross wind
1.515 MOA (0.793"), 5 shots

And for those interested (who isn't?), here is the rifle
IMG_1969.JPG
CZ 455 American
Heavy barrel 22LR
Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 glass
Caldwell XLA bipod
Blackhawk cheekpad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally starting to dial in the .308...

This was 100yd, 5 shot group from a dirty barrel (25 prior rounds). Was gathering chrono data from factory rounds.
Remington 168gr SMK Match ammo. Bench w/ bags. Failing light but almost no wind.

Rifle is a standard Remington 700 SPS Tac AAC.
20" barrel, Badger micro brake
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 glass
B&C Medalist Adjustable stock

·
Registered
7 Posts

I don't think I can complain about this Federal American Eagle M1A .308 ammo. It is pretty cheap, and managed to get me the best group of the day
200yd, mild variable wind. Bench w/ bags. See above post for the rifle/glass combo. Unchanged.

·
Registered
107 Posts
not a bad way to spend a sunday…

[/URL]

pulled the ol' Lead Sled out to help differentiate some tuning loads.

[/URL]

i think i found a combination that will work.

[/URL]

what's the old adage?--- better to be at the range thinking about God, than sitting in church thinking about the range….

once you've run your test loads, its time to take it off the the sled and check your findings.

[/URL]

(elbows and bipod)

rather pleased with this load.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
So tell us about the gun, the load and I am really interested in your opinion of the Celestron Spotting scope. Everything looks great.

Thanks.
Tom.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So tell us about the gun, the load and I am really interested in your opinion of the Celestron Spotting scope. Everything looks great.

Thanks.
Tom.

thanks for the compliment…

the gun was built up by Short Action Customs, and I gotta say- I'm impressed as hell with them/it. (6.5 Creedmoor, Bartlein, McMillan, Leupold, usual stuff you find on 100x other rifles on this forum)

was under a little time constraint, so had to focus on one end of the spectrum. right now, she's liking the 120AMAX, with 45.0gr of Superformance. (seat depth, COAL, trim length are all tuned to chamber, rifling, etc)

next week, i'll finish the testing with the 140AMAX and see if that can beat what I've found. then chrono and start loading up in number.

the Celestron is amazing. I think the best piece of shooting kit I've ever owned. Did a whole bunch of research and everywhere I looked, the words "best value", "runs with scopes that cost twice", "unparalleled value" etc kept popping up. and man, where they right. Clear and sharp, just awesome. If you're DONE with crap optics and you want a scope to take you the rest of your days… this is it. anything else is throwing money away.

imho, of course.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Went shooting friday, up until then I'd never shot past 200yrds. This was my first time shooting past that. Top pic was 635 yrds The bottom pic was 745yrds. It was my first time ranging with the reticle and doing the math, witch was a learning experience (mil ret./moa clickers). Wind was another story, I set up some streamer at the target and was basically guessing 6-8 mph left to right.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
It must've been years since I've last posted anywhere on this forum.

Here's my Weatherby Vanguard Sporter .270 Win and the 3 shots group @ 100 yards with Hornady Whitetail 130gr.

I'm pretty excited to be shooting again after a long hiatus. I can't wait for the Deer / Elk season here in Oregon.

F2C24460-2A54-4E8C-B5F4-F2129F5543FA_zpso7tmprkc.JPG
WeatherbyVanguardSporter.jpg

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I was able to get out to the range after work today. Brought my .22 and .260 and just did some quick practice.

Great evening to shoot, could not ask for a better one in Nebraska, no wind to speak of, started at 77 degrees and was 65 by the time I left. Just a little mosquito problem, but it wasn't a big deal.

Some of the pictures are a little dark.

The lower RH group is 6 rounds of 140 AMAX, the upper LH, RH and lower LH are all 142 Nosler Acubond Long Range. The middle group is my 22lr, Applied Ballistics app gave me 3 Mil dial up at 111 yards (Measured with mildots so it might be a bit off) it was a bit high, not really sure why the group ended up like it did.

22 Ammo was Norma Tac 22lr which shoots well close up out of my Savage MKII, Velocity average was 1050 out of it, but had an extreme spread of like 50 fps.

Overall pretty well, some of my hostages died though.

421 - 440 of 472 Posts