Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

441 - 460 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
uploadfromtaptalk1453583753957.jpeg

That TV is why we can't have nice things. Jack wagons that come out and use private ranges.

Just Burning some loads that I decided not to load.

39* about 11 mph wind from the west is what my phone says, I have no idea I need a kestrel, moves the grass can see the direction.

But it'll fool you about 100 yards of trees on the west side and then the targets are in a hole the last 50.

1.9 mils of elevation, .2 mils left windage

260 Remington.

Various bullets and speed but that will get me on the steel.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
View attachment 8003

That TV is why we can't have nice things. Jack wagons that come out and use private ranges.
Yeah, there is always some dumb azes about ready to screw up a wet dream.
So many places here have been fenced off and restricted due entirely to dumb frickers trashing the place.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I will say that that Vortex reticle isn't the greatest for ranging with only .5 or 1 mil increments.

I think I got close but .2 mil increments on the edge would be awesome.

Would definitely like something like the MSR reticle.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Okay,

So I gave up waiting on the ATF to release my Ultra 7 and decided to start the break in process on my long ranger. I'll just make the minor adjustments once I can take the can home. I need to get it dialed in with the brake anyway.

The photo is my departing 3 shot group using Remington 180 grain, Premier Accutip. I had planned to burn through a box or two of the hunting ammo while I break the rifle in and then fine tune with the MK248 I have. Well, the range was particularly slow and swabbing kept taking longer than I anticipated. The sun was starting to get low and I decided to just get a 3 shot group and call it a day.

If this thing shoots like this with match grade stuff then awesome. I plan to go back out soon and put together some 5 shot groups. Either I got lucky, or the rifle is stupid accurate (or both), but it goes without saying I was VERY pleased. I had a bit of anxiety running it through it's paces for the first time out, given how much money I dumped into it and how long I waited for it to be finally completed.

This was the only 3 shot group I got for the session. I spent the first 12 rounds firing off paper. I'm not sure how many times I have to relearn the value of bore sighting before I try to jump on paper at 100 meters. Well, between swabbing and bore sighting I was trying to get away with not adjusting the cheek rest (I mean, it took me a good 5 minutes on my living floor perfecting the height/setting!). So after the first shot (not on paper) I thought, well, I'll just go through a couple of the break in cycles until they go cold and move the target in. So after 12 shots that went SOMEWHERE, I moved the target in to 25 yards. Still no dice (which surprised me. The spuhr mount wasn't far off windage wise, but I guess the 20 MOA base was a lot more severe than I had visioned it in my head). So I broke down and lowered the cheek rest, bore sighted, got on paper, adjusted/confirmed.....moved the target BACK OUT to 100 yards, adjusted a couple of times and then had just enough time left to put in one 3 shot group. This was it.

3 Shot Grouping.jpg

·
Registered
347 Posts
Refining my load a little. I think this will work, just need to work on my fundamentals.

Sendero ll SF 300wm
26" brl
Timney 517 flat shoe
Badger Thruster brake
Badger nob
Masterpiece Arm's folding chassis
Harris bipod
Tactical Supply bipod talons
American Defense AD Recon mount
Gen ll Razor (mil/mil EBR-1C)

Hornady brass
208 Amax
77.6gr H-1000
Fed. 215
BTO: 2.827
5 shots 107yrds

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks guys. These were made using two steps to resize the brass. 1st, resize the neck with a Lee Collet Die, then full length resize that includes bumping the shoulder with a Redding body die.

The next time I'll try the 42.4-42.6 using this method and compare it to brass prepped using a Forster bench rest full length resizing die.

·
Registered
462 Posts
A little load testing and getting it zeroed. you can see how I walked it in... 10 shots.

6.5 Grendel
120 SMK
Lapua Brass
CFE powder 29.7gr.
CCI450 primers

love the Grendel uploadfromtaptalk1456793916273.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
image.jpeg

Gun gods were looking out for me yesterday.

This was done on my buddies 5R .308. Its stock save for a Timney trigger and a bedding job. Glass was a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP on a weaver 20 MOA base and Mark 4 Rings. Shot was prone @100 yards off of a bipod and a rear bag. Temp was 71. Humidity unknown.

Load: 175 Sierra match kings, 43.5 gr R15, once shot PMC brass and CCI primers.

3 shot group ended up being about .1

His shot group was slightly larger than mine, with one strung a little higher than the others.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been working up a load. Here's the link to the thread if you're interested. http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/reloading/51971-what-s-next.html

It's 7mm Rem Mag
62.3 grains of RL-19
CCI 250 primer
168 grain Sierra MatchKings
Rem Brass

Went out past 200 yards for the first time today, all the way to 500.

Targets are read left to right, top to bottom 300 350 400 450 500.

4-2-16 targets results.jpg

This is the target I'm most proud of. Been trying to hit this beer can since I started working up a load over a month ago. It was at 390 yards, finally got it.

390 yard can.jpg

Definitely have room to improve, but I'm enjoying the ride.

441 - 460 of 472 Posts