Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to tell one and all about the real Jeff Dorr. Jeff Dorr had a heart of gold. He was exceedingly generous and tolerant of dimwits. How he put up with Mr. Squinty is beyond me. How I put up with Mr. Squinty is beyond me also. But that's another story.

We visited Jeff in the fall of 2007 and we had a great time. We met Jeff's parents and they were kind and hospitable. We also went to the range and fired Jeff's Garand and AR-15. We also went to a local gunshop where I assisted Bigbore in buying a Swiss K-31. I told the guy behind the counter to sell me all the 7.5x55mm ammo and to hurry up and don't be a schmoe. Jeff just laughed and told the counterman not to worry.

Jeff never got angry whenever I told him , "don't be a schmoe". He even seemed to like it. Jeff even liked dogs. He had a chocolate labrador retriever that was run over by a car. Jeff was very upset over that. It was simply another example of what kind of person he was.

I'm really unhappy today and if at all possible we plan on attending the funeral. Jeff also repainted my 1973 Cadillac. I know that whenever I drive in that car, I will think about Jeff.

Fluffy

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Good post.

Jeff was a good friend of mine too. We traded stuff back and forth and gave each other things several times over the last five years or so that I've known him...He's got a couple ARs of mine, and I've got a FAL of his, not to mention various parts for this and that, and a bunch of brass. Jeff was always the first guy I went to when I had a question about building or fixing something. I don't think there were many times where we didn't have a deal or two cooking, heh.

When he passed, we had a couple things going in fact--both of which illustrate his generosity and good heart. I had bought a CETME kit off Jeff, oh, probably a year ago, which he never sent because he was always so busy in his one man shop. He had a FAL top cover and some brass for me too. Well, one day, we were talking about a mutual friend who was having a tough go of it and needed a computer for school. Jeff told me right away that his dad has just gotten a new computer and he'd be happy to donate the old one to the guy. Sadly, Jeff never got around to sending the stuff out, but somewhere in his place he's got a box for me, lol...Just like Jeff, always a thousand projects going on at once. But it shows just how willing he was to help folks out.

On my end of it, he was always super to me too. We both had an interest in military vehicles, and Jeff actually had a real nice restored M38A1 Jeep. About a year ago I guess, I told him I wanted one someday, and he told me $500 and he could find me one right away. So the deal was struck and sure enough, he had an old engineless basket case M38A1 Jeep...Apparently he had another friend with one in a barn. At any rate, all I had to do was come pick it up. I regret not getting out there sooner now of course, but after he found the Jeep for me, he told me he had a windshield and some other M38A1 parts he'd give me from his restoration--plus a Chevy motor I could put in it until I found an original. He told me I could have all this at no charge. What a heck of a guy.

I surely wish I had that Jeep now...Like Fluffy said, I'd remember him every time I drove it. It'd be a great memorial to him. C'est la vie, I guess. I wish I had all the stuff he had for me now for the same reason, but mostly, I wish we had Jeff back. One thing I know for sure though, is that the guns I have that were his are far more special now.

Jeff was always active on my forum, dispensing great advice and helping countless people with builds and other projects. I know he was instrumental with some AK builds folks did. I think the guy had at least one of every gun, haha. If you didn't know what something was, I swear Jeff always would. And there were plenty of other times he'd help other people out. As I mentioned in the other Jeff Dorr thread, he was right there helping out with a donation when I put together a reloading kit/house warming gift for tx_shooter after he got out of the Corps and finished building his house.

That's just how Jeff was. He was one of the most friendly, most knowledgeable, and most willing to help guys I've known. He was probably the most dedicated and active moderator we had, too...He was always active and certainly helpful as could be. Jeff was my good friend for the last 5 years, and he'll be sorely missed by me and those on my forum.

God rest your soul, Jeff. I'll always remember you.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I, like many of us here, only got to see the stoic, no-nonesense Jeff here, thank you for sharing with us the genuine person he was..

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Vinroc_1 said:
I, like many of us here, only got to see the stoic, no-nonesense Jeff here, thank you for sharing with us the genuine person he was..
Well said..

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
... I'm very sad to hear of Jeff's passing and offer condolances to his family ..... wow, this is a shock!

Sadly, there will be a very noticeable hole in the threads ....

Jeff Dorr (D'Or) = Jeff of gold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are so many things that could be said about Jeff he touched everyone he spoke with in some way. He was so generous he would help anyone and i do mean anyone in anyway even if it meant giving his last dollar bill away. I remember when i first met him i bought a camaro off of him it was an outstanding car. He had built the engine and painted it god that thing was sweet....a week after i bought it the engine blew. Anyone else would have blown me off but not jeff he not only took care of it he paid me to help him fix it. The man was teaching me how to build engines something i have never done and still said i should be paid for getting my hands dirty. After that i ended up working and learning from him for five amazing years. Since then he has been my best friend everything i know about reloading i learned from him. Every rifle i have ever built his hands were right there.

I have lost more than a friend...i lost a brother.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The man was a symbol of hard work and knowing one's craft; it's truly difficult for me to imagine putting more into one's work than he did. I sincerely regret not speaking with him more often, as his opinion was one I valued. Knowing him, he could probably never imagine the number of people who looked forward to his input, who counted him as a friend, or who simply respected the man. We are diminished.

Rest easy Jeff. You've earned the break.

-B

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Jeff was a true American in the 1776 sense of the phrase.

As relaxed as he was intelligent, Jeff devoted his life to hard work and helping others.

Jeff was easy with free advice and gave to others as if he had never understood need. Quick with a solution when fights came up, and quiet when it came time to take credit for his good works.

I've never known someone who didn't like Jeff.

My heart will never sit easy with his absence.

The man has helped me more than people I see everyday, and I've never even seen his face.

He is a testament to the the potential that comes with the title "American."

If Jeff was alive during the American Revolution, you could find him at Valley Forge. In the dead of winter he would be standing barefoot on his hat. And if you asked him what he was doing, he would quietly reply "my job."

If that seems like excessive poetry, you don't know your history and you don't know Jeff.

I'll look for you on the other side brother.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I know some of you were closer and even met him in person. You are very lucky. Jeff was one of the first people I met on the forums. My dealings with Jeff were strictly over the net but over the last 4 years I have had many talks with Jeff and he always was someone I knew I could pm with questions and even guidance. I never seen Jeff use cross words at anyone.....even when some deserved it. When I was building my first AR-15 and had questions Jeff pointed me in the right direction and even walked me through a few steps.
Jeff being an avid hunter, we talked many times about hunting. He helped me come up with some good tactics and loads for getting coyote. When I decided to build a .260 Jeff showed me his .260 and some groups that he was getting with his. He was always eager to help someone and its amazing how someone can effect so many people over the web.

Jeff lead by example and as a mod here I tried to follow examples set by Jeff in how to deal with people. I tried not to have a cross word or play sides......that was very hard sometimes but worth it in the end.

I laid in bed all night thinking about this tragedy and what a good man the world loss that night. Its always sad when such a great person has their life cut short. I am sure Jeff is in a better place now but the world will and should miss him.

May he rest in peace.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I remember Jeff giving me some help with my Cherokee. I could not figure out the type of lift and he gave me a laundry list of things to do to it that I did not even ask him about. He helped me trouble shoot some things with it and told what to do and what not to do. The mans knowledge with cars and reloading was second to none. I never did have the priveledge to speak with the man over the phone, nor meet him in person. And in many ways I have missed out. :(

It's too bad I never did get to speak with the man as many here have, but I can say that it won't be the same at the Central or over at SAS without him. We'll miss you Jeff... The shooting community and this nation have lost another great American.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I am sorry to hear of his passing. I never met Jeff, but considered him a friend and felt like I knew him as he put so much of himself into his posts. He will be sorely missed here. My prayers are for his family.

Jeff, Best wishes,
Shane

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
G'day all. I'm sorry i didnt see this before. Jeff was a bloke who I only knew through these forums but was one who helps me out. He really was a great bloke. My heart goes to his family. I will hoist a beer in his name.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Here's a picture of Jeff Dorr in happier days. Back in 2007, we spent a pleasant afternoon shooting together. Herer's Jeff and his Garand.

I found the picture today and thought that I would post it.

Mad

·
Registered
94 Posts
not to put a dent in the sympathy here but that picture was taken on the exact date of my dads death, talk about weird.

I didnt know Jeff like all of you did but people almost feel like they no him when they read his posts, i guess he will always be remembered on here.

sorry again if i am intruding.

Zach

1 - 18 of 18 Posts