Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but i dont know what caliber i want maybe u guys can help me pick one out...i have a .22-250, 2 7mm rem mags, 2 300 win mags, a 243 and a 300 savage..... i was thinking something along the lines of 300 wsm or 257 weatherby mag..or maybe something big , 338 win mag i dont know so help me

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
theres always the 25-06 and the 35 whelen... those would be my two picks

·
Registered
448 Posts
If shooting long distance (out to 400 yards) or hunting whitetail sized animals I would pick the 25-06 every of the week and twice on Sunday. Mine put a 14 point in my freezer this last deer season and continues to be my rifle of choice for Texas whitetail. And I have taken animals as far as 460 yards with it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It sounds like you have a pretty good battery already, my vote is for the .257 Weatherby Mag. You already have a .22, a 6mm, and a few 7mms and .30s. Plus, it would be nice to have a Weatherby Rifle chambered for a Weatherby cartridge.

Might want some reloading gear if you don't already have it too :wink: Weatherby ammo isn't cheap.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll be happy with it, I hear the Vanguards are well built.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The .257 Weatherby is as useless as mammary glands on a male bovine.

I would much rather have a wonderful classic round such as the .300 Savage.

Or build a rifle on a Weatherby action. What about a 7mm-08? Or a 250 Savage? Or a 6.5x55mm? Or a 7mm Mauser. Or if you are feeling really frisky, why not a cool wildcat such as the 8mm-06? (The .30-06 necked up to 8mm)

Mad

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
What's the hunting like where you are, Cody? If you rarely get long shots, I would go with a shorter range bigger bore caliber. If the opportunity for 300+ meter shots comes up, I'd like one of the quarterbores. Jered Joplin made a really nice 257 Weatherby that does great, and he's shot it to 1,000 yards.

Since the rifle is guaranteed Sub Moa anyway, I would pick a cartridge that is long range capable, and take advantage of that accuracy. At 100m, 3 moa is fine. At 400m, it's useless.

What do you think you would use it for most?

·
Registered
140 Posts
spade said:
theres always the 25-06 and the 35 whelen... those would be my two picks
Correct me if i am wrong but isnt the 35 whelen a lever action big bore caliber used for bear hunting ect? Does it have good ballistics for long range shooting?

The Rifleman

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i already have one submoa and a glass bedded vanguard o and mad thamks for reminding me i have an origginal model 99 savage chambered for 300 savage too... its just for another white tail gun here in NW PA, i'v killed a deer as close as 7 yards and as far as 350 yards ..thats why i love my 7mm rem mags

1 - 9 of 9 Posts