·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Heard about that yesterday.............I cannot believe it... :shock:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

I fully agree with your grievance here, but in some situations it is understandable, such as when a major airport needs to expand.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Re: re

Yimmy said:
I fully agree with your grievance here, but in some situations it is understandable, such as when a major airport needs to expand.
Yes, Yimmy, I think we all agree that some situations are understandable, but don't think thats what Recoil is talking about. Lose your home for some private company to put up a McDonald's or strip mall is NOT "understandable" to me!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Oh Hell no, not a comercial business, that isn't acceptable at all.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
But thats what this new law will allow!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
This court ruling was only to decide if the law the state passed was constutional. If your state law does not allow for this kind of action, make sure you vote in people in the state legislature that wont pass it. The law they are refering to is called eminent domain, and Ohio has a version of it, as do all states I think, but Ohio's does not allow for private business to use it as easily at the one ruled on here in Conn. This is a very good example of why voting matters.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
lammers has an awesome point.
Don't proclaim the evils of government until you vote.

Organising a group of citizens to get issues like these on the ballot for the next ticket will do more than moving to the boondocks and cursing politicians.

-(L) snowy

·
Registered
238 Posts
ho hum i think i figured out how the government got the land without violating eminent domain *technically*

they claimed the land for a public project, then instead claimed it would cost too much, then sold it to a company

also i think a powerplant could semi go under public property since whoever was living there and those around it, obviously use electricity...but yah i think for utilities its ok, then again why were they building a powerplant in a residential area..

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Hmmm, this is going to test my left hand, but here we go...

"I'm all for voting, however voting only truly matters and makes a real difference when people are informed about what they're voting for, and when the politicians actually do what they say they're going to do.

As you know, that probably happens only 2% of the time."

I'd have to ask you to site your source for the 2% statement. Numerous issues go to ballot every year that the average citizen votes on and decides. I will agree that there is a degree of smoke and mirrors to the whole affair, but the majority of what is voted on not that complicated.

"Otherwise, voting is nothing but a fantasy held by the ignorant who hide their heads in the sand believing that the United States is great and always will be, all the while never making any positive contribution to that end."

If you feel like taking offense to my statement, I guess I can feel free to find that statement as offensive.

"If voting, in it's current incarnation, is so glorious why then are there people currently in office right now who would allow such things?"

Because we live in a system with strengths and weaknesses like any other.
You are sounding a bit like the people who say "if God exists, why do bad things happen?" No system is perfect, however I do feel that if you find the American Government and judicial system to be so deplorable you should move to another country. The fact is there is no perfect country. If people are happy pursuing the American dream and enjoy not caring about politics what does it matter? That is their right as a citizen.

"As it stands, [judges] are pretty much unaccountable, barring an act of God or Nature."

I'd also like you to site your source for this. I bet Madgunsmith could tell you a few ways that judges are accountable for their actions.

"snowy wrote:
Organising a group of citizens to get issues like these on the ballot for the next ticket...

Now, are you actually going to organize a group of citizens or just sit there and talk about how we should?"

I personally registered more than 500 people to vote in our last election.

"snowy wrote:
...will do more than moving to the boondocks and cursing politicians.

Maybe I'm a little sensitive on this because I'm accustomed to people telling me I'm a paranoid anti-governmentalist..."

Um, dude look at your quote...

"But I digress...I take that quote as a small slight against my character. I'm not trying to brag here, honestly, but I've done more for this country in the past year than the majority of folks have in their whole lives."

Many people on this board have, but they don't need to proclaim it for the world to hear.

"If you've followed most of my posts, you'd realize that the first word in the title of this thread, "This," also referrs to several other things, such as my love for Nature and solitude, in addition to the topic of this thread: escapism. 'Moving to the boondocks to ---- about the government' is not the only reason why I want to 'move away from it all.'"

I am sorry if I offended you, if you've read my posts, I generally try to be quite respectful of everyone here.

If you are going to proclaim your views here, people will occasionally take you to task on them.

I honestly, do not mean you any disrespect, I enjoy a good philosophical sparing now and then.

Once again, no disrespect intended.

-(L) snowy

P.S.

Also, please try not to swear, it's not very SC like.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I say that those judges are not "liberals". I say that we are the real "liberals", because we still believe in "liberty".

Those Supreme Court judges are in fact tyrants who would impose an oligarchy. They are no better or worse than King George and his redcoats.

Let's not defame the good name of Liberty by misusing the term "liberal".

Instead why don't say that they are "Neo-Bolshevik, totalitarianist, feather-pluckers"? ( As for the "feather-plucker" term, you all know what term I really meant to use. Mel is my friend and I do not want to use profanity on his site.)

Mad

1 - 20 of 29 Posts