Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A thought occured to me recently concerning people who have dedicated car guns. I'm in Florida, and on a sunny day the inside of the car can get very hot. This immediately makes me think of the ammuntion in the gun, and the phrase "store in a cool, dry place". Any thoughts or opinions on this?

·
Registered
253 Posts
in iraq, we store ammo and explosives (5.56mm, 7.62mm, .50 cal, 12 guage, C4, blasting caps, etc.) inside our M1114 HMMWV 24hrs a day/7 days a week. there is no harm in doing this. i once researched the flashpoint of gunpowder and found that it was much higher than the temps in any vehicle possibly could be. i don't remember exactly what it was, but if i recall correctly it was over 300 degrees Farenheit. anyways, we haven't had any problems yet.

thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.

My other thought though is why are you keeping a gun in your car? I've never understood why people do this (other than hunting guns or impromptu trips to the range), and it seems to me like a reason to not carry one on your person. I see the logic as "I don't need the discomfort of carrying a gun on me as long as I have one in my house and in my car." But as they say, the most important gun you own is the gun you're carrying right now. As long as you have a CCW, I don't think people need "dedicated anything" guns except their carry gun
I thought this might come up. I don't actually use a car gun, because I don't want it to be stolen. The state has received my application for a CWL, but it takes time to process. I just brought this topic up for purposes of discussion, and because there are some people who do use car guns.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There is one thing to consider.

If your ammo gets really, really hot, pressures will increase drastically.

I remember reading somewhere that sometimes military armorers will heat up ordinary ammo if they do not have any proof loads handy. If you heat up an ordinary round to about 170 degrees, you will have a load that operates at proof pressures.

So carry a gun in your car, but try to keep the car parked in the shade.

Mad

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The pressure thing is very true as Mad pointed out. At Perry, you will not see anyone storing ammo out in the sun, it is always on the ground under a shooting mat or in some other shaded area. The increased pressure will drastically change your POI. Same thing was pointed out to several guys at sniper school(it was in august after all) when the instructors saw them leaving ammo in the sun while we were doing range drills.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Recoil said:
As long as you have a CCW, I don't think people need "dedicated anything" guns except their carry gun.
There are two good reasons for dedicated car guns:

1) If you carry with an IWB holster, and it's quite comfy, you might find it easier to simply leave it there instead of putting it on and off every time you get into the car. Depending on your attire, it might be a pain to remove the holster from your belt/pants. Subsequently, I would still want to keep my car gun in a holster or other safe container, so simply removing the gun from the holster (for me) would not be desirable. Keeping the holstered gun under my thigh when I'm in an area I might really want to use it would prove very advantegous, I believe.

2) You have to choose a carry weapon with overpenetration in mind: you cannot carry a .500 S&W for the obvious reason. That said, although car doors are not that thick, they will still prove the obstacle for the caliber and ammunition you choose to shoot unshielded villains with. You will want a caliber and an ammunition that by design has good penetration.

Although I don't think two (or more) firearms are necessary, I see a lot of advantages to it: if you've already got the guns in your collection, why not?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
As a man who has a dedicated truck gun I'll give you its specs.

Remington 870 express synthetic with a 16 inch smoothbore barrel. Wilson combat sites and speedfeed stock. Camoflaged.

At distances of less than 100 yards, I can put 5 sabot slugs into a pie plate kneeling. I can also lay a 40 inch spread of #4 buck at 50 yards.

Anything that walks on two or four legs could be had with it and it was cheap to build and maintain.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Recoil said:
Besides, there are more enough options for concealed carry that you can always find something appropriate for your dress and daily activity.
I shouldn't have to treat holsters like they're accessories to his attire: I don't want to buy a number of holsters for one gun. My point is that if the one that I like best is secured with a belt loop or something that takes more effort than a paddle holster to remove, then I want a car gun.

Yes, someone might break into my car and steal my gun, but I secure my car with an alarm--it's not as safe as my gun safe at home, but I'm not responsible for ass hats who steal cars nor will I take responsibility for someone who steals my firearm.

Subsequently, there are countless reasons why you might not want to have to remove and attach your holster every time you get in and out of your car. The point of concealed carry is so that people don't know you are carrying concealed. They'll have a pretty good idea, however, if they see you messing around as you get in and out of your car. Yes, precautions can be taken to conceal your activity, but this still looks suspicious. Equally, you might not want the people you are riding with see you attach and detach your holster: maybe they're business partners, maybe it's a first date, whatever. A gun in the hands of a stranger can make anyone feel uncomfortable so the less you're handling it in a public place the better.

If I didn't live in a state that had such strong prohibitions against it, I'd carry both on me as well as in my car.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
994 Posts
Recoil said:
All invalid points if you don't take the gun off, which you shouldn't. Why would you?
Ease of accessibility--a firearm should ALWAYS be in a location that you can access very easily. A concealing holster might make that difficult if you are in a car (especially if you're left-handed, like me).

Subsequently, you might find that a holster proves absolutely wonderful in all circumstances except the strict confinements of a car (we can't all afford the Cadillac) and so I don't think it to be wise to merely find a holster that suits all applications.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
347 Posts
I know that jackets/windbreakers are always able to be worn in my state (washington) so a shoulder holster would be number one choice if i was old enough to worry about packing while driving...in california and other like-weathered states this may not be the case.

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've seen special pistol safes that are designed for in car use. That to me would be the ideal way to safely store a car gun.

The car safe could be strategically disguised. When you park your car, just cover the safe with an old newspaper. Nobody would know.

Mad.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i'm with you on that recoil.... and if you're going to pull it out of the safe and put it back in everytime youget in and out...you right back to people noticing you're packing. I would think most carjackers or other criminals that you would need your firearm for, wouldn't be patient while you said hold on let me undo the lock on my safe so we can be fair here...doesn't work like that.

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The post said, "car guns". A "car gun" is a gun kept in the car. A "carry gun" is a gun that is always carried.

Ideally, you should have two guns. You should rely on your "carry gun" as the gun you use to get you back to your "car gun".

I like the idea of several car guns. In the trunk of your car, you might have a Winchester 94 in .30-30 or maybe a Remington 870. Inside your car in the safe, you might want to have an old Colt Trooper in .357 caliber. A revolver can sit there foreever without the springs wearing out.

Sometimes, it can be hard to draw your carry gun while sitting in your car. But you can reach for that revolver in your safe. And some of those gunsafes can be opened quite quickly.

Call me cautious, but call me

Mad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts