Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiousity,are threaded muzzle brakes worth the extra cost
from a recoil stand point, and do they affect accuracy if done correctly?

Also for Mel,have you shot any of the sc1 series rifles with handloads?
If so, what was the general accuracy like?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I like the muzzel brake on my target 30-06. It reduces fatigue and reduces recoil. The reason I got a muzzel brake was I injured my upper back and neck otherwise I would not have gotten one on an '06, but after having one I believe they can benefit everyone. The down side is more noise to the side and to you, depending on the design. As for affecting accuracy a well designed muzzelbrake should not affect accuracy, but each rifle is diffrent and results my vary.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
There was a big long post about brakes awhile back, where I got schooled on volumes and all that jazz.

I tried to find it for a link, but maybe my eyes are going.

-snowy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I remember that thread, but I can't locate it either. Maybe
B.C. can get ahold of it???

·
Registered
54 Posts
everything you do to a rifle has the "potential" to screw up your accuracy.
If designed and installed properly you'll be ok. As far as accuracy goes..... Tim North's 300 with one of our breaks just took the 1000 yard relay in some big tournament. I dunno which one.....can't keep up with everything.

If you do it, do yourself the favor of getting a really good smith to do the work. Most local yocals aren't machinist and don't understand what happens inside the bore of a precision tube when you machine it. Certain steps should be taken to ensure you machine it correctly. Mainly this pertains to buttoned barrels not cut.

Hope all of my rambling helped. If not..........call me at work and I'll try again.

Jered
Patriot Arms Inc.
706-367-8881

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Man Jered, awesome to see you on the boards so much.

I'm sure you're quite busy over there.

I for one am soaking up everything.

Thanks!

-snowy

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had one on a 300 WM. That thing made my entire head ring real bad after popping off about three quick rounds. I took it off after that and have never used it since. I don't feel any real noticable recoil difference in shooting with or without it. I don't use it on a bench much, so I don't know how much it affected my accuracy. I still hit targets when I mean to though.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
If done properly, as Jared (patriot) said, all will be fine.

MCS said:
Also for Mel,have you shot any of the sc1 series rifles with handloads?
If so, what was the general accuracy like?
No, I have not. I generally shoot federal GMM and occasionally some M118, M118LR, PMC, Black Hills, and HSM match ammo.

MEL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks Snowy. I'm going to disappear again real soon so I can go screw some rifles up! :lol:

Our brake is bigger than the Vias break but stomps it in the dirt.
We have a smaller and larger size. Nothing really for small hunting rifles.
Breaks are loud for sure but If you need it so be it.
I used to hate shooting my 300. Not because I'm recoil sensitive but because I got tired of being blown so far off target when shooting at long range. With the break it's a baby doll.

Trust me when I say this. It works so good that you won't believe it until you shoot one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts