Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I am about to buy a Tikka .223 Super Varmint. I was just looking to get some advice regarding the twist rate. Originally I was thinking of getting the 1/8 twist so that I can shoot larger grain bullets, however my local dealer advised me to go with the 1/12 twist for my intended purposes. He said he has had a lot of people come in and complain that their 1/8 twist Tikka's are not able to shoot the 52 grainers accurately enough due to overstabilisation and ended up with 2-3 inch groupings. He is also a gunsmith and says he has seen it all before with people wanting the the 1/8 twist and that he can't help me if mine won't shoot 52 grainers accurately.

I feel like it would be a big problem if my rifle didn't shoot this size ammo because it is the most readily available and affordable 223 ammo to buy here in Australia and it does great on Kangaroo's which will be my main use for the rifle. I would have liked to do some target shooting with it as well as some longer range precision hunting shots. I already have a Vortex Viper Pst gen 2 scope FFP 5-25 ebr2c reticle ordered for it. Maybe later I'll move the scope onto a 6.5 creedmoor or 260 Remington for targets/ long range precision hunting and put a cheaper one on this Super Varmint 223. I'm sure my wife will be so happy that I will be needing to spend more money on another rifle. I have the 1/12 ordered but I am able to change it if I'm prepared to wait another 2 weeks which is going to take forever for me since I want to start shooting. Thanks everyone in advance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a Rock River Arms ATH .223 Wylde in 1/8". I just got some American Eagle Varmint & Predator 223 Rem 50 gr JHP rounds for a possible round for planned Prairie Dog trip in spring. I will try to test them next weekend and will let you know how they shoot. Should give you some idea.
Dennis

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
.223 is a caliber where you have to decide on which bullets you are going to shoot and then pick a twist rate. In the small diameter bullets an increase in weight has a huge effect on the length of the bullet. Not so much for larger calibers where a small increase in bullet weight doesn't have the same drastic effect on length. As the length increases so does the need for a more rapid twist. If I were to shoot any bullets under 55 gr I'd go with the slower twist 1:12 barrel and take advantage of the speed. For 69 gr and up, go with the 1:8 twist. I have a .223 Bolt Action I built around 77 gr and heavier bullets. It has a 1:7 twist and I shoot mostly Berger 80.5 gr Fullbores through it with great success.

Shooting light bullets through a fast twist barrel may or may not have any effect on accuracy. They just go a little slower than they potentially could through the slow twist barrel.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sage advice from deadshot, as usual. I just picked up a T3X 223 varmint, 1x8. Don't know if the 1x12 is offered here in the states. I was able to get out Friday, and started load development with 77 smk's with CFE223 and 8208XBR, for first time out, I'm pretty happy with the new tikka. You can see where I pulled a shot on #4 xbr and when I adjusted the windage (too much) between 2 & 3 using the CFE.

No help to the OP, but I most likely won't be shooting the 50 or the 60g v max for a while. Regardless,I'm pretty sure you will be happy with the way your new T3X shoots.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help guys. I want to be able to shoot around that 50gr as well as possible so I'm pretty happy with the 1:12 twist.

That is a super accurate rifle you got there mike.h. May I ask what scope you put on it?

I have just 2 weeks until I get my new Tikka. I'll post an update on how it's all going at a later date.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sounds good.

Hopefully I can get out (soon) and see if the 50g v-max's will stabilize. Lots of rain in the forecast.

As far as scopes; right now it has the NF 8x32 and rings off the 308. Haven't made up my mind what I'll use, however I am partial to the NF line. Being that this is a paper puncher/varmint gun, maybe a FFP scope would be fun.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Sounds good.

Hopefully I can get out (soon) and see if the 50g v-max's will stabilize. Lots of rain in the forecast.

As far as scopes; right now it has the NF 8x32 and rings off the 308. Haven't made up my mind what I'll use, however I am partial to the NF line. Being that this is a paper puncher/varmint gun, maybe a FFP scope would be fun.

So am I. I recently added a B.E.A.S.T to my collection. It's one fine scope. I just have to forget how much it cost so I'm not distracted while enjoying it.

Once upon a time I said I had no need for a FFP scope. The BEAST sure changed my mind on that. I'll still use my 12-42X56 NXS for KD range shooting but the BEAST is going to get the nod for other shooting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts