Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am very happy to be back to shooting trap and target after decades of being away from it.
Picked up a Tikka T3X Lite in 300 Winmag.
Looking for opinions on having a local gunsmith thread the barrel and add a muzzle brake, at a cost of $300 CAD, to reduce "perceived" recoil by 40%-ish (his claim).

I added a $75 CAD Limbsaver recoil pad last week which helped a little.
Shot 12 rounds yesterday and a little tender in the right shoulder today.
That was on top of the 100 rounds of trap two days ago.
Still, not as bad as the first two times out where I was feeling it after 6 shots or so.

Anyway, does $300 CAD funds sound about right for the job?
Is it worth the cost, considering it is a relatively light weight rifle to begin with and I'm not expecting more than 1500 or so rounds through it, from what I have read.

Also, I have some snap caps and was reading this thread Rifle modifications that increase accuracy the most? | Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums (sniperforums.com).
Would exercising the rifle with the purchased snap caps help as per the post, or should I follow the post verbatim?
5) With cleaned-up factory, or aftermarket trigger reinstalled, use said dummy rounds to dry fire 20-50 "live" shots a night, from several shooting positions. Consider doing this in a darkened and quiet room for several weeks until you start to learn the new trigger. Afterwards, put a pushpin or similar size object on the wall about 30 feet away and start using the rifle to "shoot" the pin. NO LIVE AMMUNITION in the room at ANY time.

After a month or so of dry firing seriously, you should be nearing 1,000 "shots" on the rifle, and you'll be getting the hang of the new trigger; also, it's sear surfaces should start to become a little more smooth, and mated to one another.
Thanks for any help/ideas.

Registered
Hi all, I am very happy to be back to shooting trap and target after decades of being away from it.
Picked up a Tikka T3X Lite in 300 Winmag.
Looking for opinions on having a local gunsmith thread the barrel and add a muzzle brake, at a cost of $300 CAD, to reduce "perceived" recoil by 40%-ish (his claim).

I added a $75 CAD Limbsaver recoil pad last week which helped a little.
Shot 12 rounds yesterday and a little tender in the right shoulder today.
That was on top of the 100 rounds of trap two days ago.
Still, not as bad as the first two times out where I was feeling it after 6 shots or so.

Anyway, does $300 CAD funds sound about right for the job?
Is it worth the cost, considering it is a relatively light weight rifle to begin with and I'm not expecting more than 1500 or so rounds through it, from what I have read.

Also, I have some snap caps and was reading this thread Rifle modifications that increase accuracy the most? | Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums (sniperforums.com).
Would exercising the rifle with the purchased snap caps help as per the post, or should I follow the post verbatim?

Thanks for any help/ideas.
Obviously, a good break helps and some are better than others. If you haven't already seen this article, it's a good read and helpful in making choices:

Other things you can do to reduce recoil and the gun is not for hunting:
Make the gun heavier; like adding a heavier barrel, add a 3" wide front bag rest made of metal, just add weights, etc.

If you're a reloader, use lighter bullets and/or a little lighter powder charges.

All of the above

. . . just some thoughts that ran through my head. 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously, a good break helps and some are better than others. If you haven't already seen this article, it's a good read and helpful in making choices:

Other things you can do to reduce recoil and the gun is not for hunting:
Make the gun heavier; like adding a heavier barrel, add a 3" wide front bag rest made of metal, just add weights, etc.

If you're a reloader, use lighter bullets and/or a little lighter powder charges.

All of the above

. . . just some thoughts that ran through my head. 馃榿
Thank you for the tips, Straightshooter1, appreciate it them and will check out the blog post.

Registered
I added a VIAS brake to my Tikka light in 300 Win at and it recoils like a moderate loaded .308 now

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I added a VIAS brake to my Tikka light in 300 Win at and it recoils like a moderate loaded .308 now
Ok, that gives me a good idea of what to expect from "real world" feedback, thanks TXBodean.
Appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts