Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMG_20170324_164115.jpg IMG_20170324_164141.jpg IMG_20170324_164156.jpg

Hey guys, it feels like I have been waiting forever for this to arrive in my local store but today I finally picked it up!
I originally ordered a 1 in 12 twist but two weeks later I changed my mind and went for the 1 in 8 twist. It took another whole month to arrive....

I spoke to plenty of people with Tikka T3's in 223 and they all said they had no problems with the 1 in 8 shooting the 55 grain bullets. In the end I wanted my purchase to double up as a varminter and paper puncher and the 1 in 12 just wasn't going to cut it when I want to be able to shoot out further with the heavier bullets. I'm going to start reloading for this and my 308 soon. I like how the 223 is relatively affordable for me to shoot since I plan to do plenty of it.

I don't have a scope yet. I ordered a Viper PST Gen 2 5-25 FFP EBR 2C on Optics Planet since they originally said they would have them in stock by now. Now they are saying the won't get their shipment until July 13.... I'm pretty tempted to cancel my order and get a Burris XTR 2 5-25 so I can use it now but it would set me back another $400-$500 since Optics Planet is offering a 23% discount on the new PST's.

Not sure what to do yet but I want to start testing out some factory loads. So far I love the look and feel of this rifle.

Here's the link to the old thread http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/cartridges-calibers/61977-tikka-t3x-223-1-8-twist-1-12-a.html

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have the blued 223 varmint. I added a YoDave trigger spring, pulled the buttpad and added some lead to balance it out. It's a very nice shooter, handles the 50 v-max up to the 77 SMK's. Actually I haven't found anything it doesn't like. It's becoming my favorite. Pretty sure it will end up in a chassis, but right now I'm enjoying it the way it is.

This is one of the first load developments using 77g SMK (cannelure) and 8208 xbr

Have fun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle Nifty. I really like the Tikka's actions. The bolt realease, and better rail mounting is a nice upgrade over standard actions.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
This is one of the first load developments using 77g SMK (cannelure) and 8208 xbr
Yep. Those look about right.

Once you settle on a charge, if you have the room in the box, move them fore and aft about 0.015" both directions by 0.005" at a time and see what happens.

Looks like a good rifle.

-Nate

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I am really looking forward to testing it out. I like how it has the adjustable cheek piece and length of pull. This should have everything I need to get my shooting up to a level I am happy with. Once I get my scope and reloading gear I don't think I'll be able to spend any more money on guns for a while though. Not unless I want my wife to leave me lol. Anyway I needed both a 308 and 223 for the farm and now I have them. I also have something that can test my limitations as a shooter for a long time to come. I'll post an update once I start shooting her. I will probably move my scope over from my 308 until the new one arrives since I will be using the 223 more often.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah there was no way I was going to wait until July 13th just for the new PST. I ended up following the initial advice I was given here and ordered a Burris XTR ii 5-25x50 SCR mil scope. It cost me about 400 Australian more than what it would have cost me to get the PST Gen 2 but at least I don't have to send it all the way back to the states to get it repaired since I was purchasing from opticsplanet. It should be here in a few days so I can't wait to get it mounted and do some testing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
IMG_20170330_194317.jpg IMG_20170330_194624.jpg

Here is the rifle with my new Burris scope mounted. I mounted it myself and I don't think I did it right. It gives an idea of how she looks anyway. Just need to get it mounted properly and shoot her now. It looks like the bolt handle is touching the scope but there is plenty of clearance.

I think my first upgrade is going to be a nice bipod. I heard on here that the Harris ones don't have grippy enough feet. What kind of a bipod should I get?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would get a Harris swivel with notched legs and the Atlas feet adaptor. That way you can use the softer rubber feet that have more grip, or any of the other feet that are made for an Atlas. Of course if you want to drop the coin on an Atlas bipod, you wont be sorry.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Atlas Bi-pods are considered to be the best Bi-pods out there. They have tons of adjustment, really nice feet, and some back lash in them to allow for proper loading. Their one downside is they're not fast to deploy. But that only matters if your doing timed events with them.

As Gunguy said, the Harris BRM-S is a great choice. I just got one for myself. I added the KMW Pod-Loc lever and the Khantrol Solutions Pod-Mod feet adapters. Then Bi-pod and lever were $130 from Amazon. The foot adapters are $50. Even with those upgrades the Harris is $100 cheaper than the Atlas. The pod-mod adapters also add about an inch to the bi-pod length. Which for me is needed on the 6"-9". The rubber Atlas feet are much softer and nicer to use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks again for the help.
I might have to wait a while to get that bipod because I just forked out quite a bit today to get set up for reloading.
Today I bought the Hornady classic reloading kit, 308 and 223 dies, 1000 small rifle bench rest primers, bore tech inc cleaner, sonic cartridge case cleaner formula and AR2208 powder. I know it costs a lot but I'd sooner just fork out on this early than pay so much for factory ammo.

I was just looking for some advice on what kind of projectiles that I should be using. I want to be able to head shot kangaroos and body shot foxes or rabbits anywhere from up close to as far as my rifle will allow me to. I also plan on practicing my target shooting so it would be great to be able to get out past 600 yards or more once my skill allows it.

Another thing too is that I heard that the Tikka magazines can't fit the longer projectiles in them and I need to get a new bottom metal that allows a different type of magazine. I don't really have the funds for this at the moment so that is something to consider as well. I will eventually do the upgrade if I need to but I've spent enough for now.

I already have a 250 pack of 69gr Nosler HPBT that I was given as a wedding present from a friend. Would these be a suitable choice to go with in the long run? I would really prefer to just stick with one type of bullet if possible to keep things simple. I was just worried that these might not expand enough if I aimed for a shot on something in the vitals eg pigs or deer. I have the 308 with 168 gr Hornady Z max projectiles so I guess this isn't too much of a big deal. I think the Z max might actually expand too much on deer but that is a topic for another thread. I got them on a really good bargain.

Cheers all

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
600 yards is about the max for .223, the Sierra MK 69 grain, the Hornady 68 grain Match, the Noslers you have are all fine choices for your goals. I would try something even heavier though like a 75 grain bullet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
600 yards is about the max for .223, the Sierra MK 69 grain, the Hornady 68 grain Match, the Noslers you have are all fine choices for your goals. I would try something even heavier though like a 75 grain bullet.
So I thought I would take your advice and ordered 100 Hornady 75 gr A-Max projectiles to trial. These apparently work quite well on roo's, hogs and deer if hit in the vitals. I read on a bunch of different threads that the optimum COAL for the Tikka 223's using the 75 gr A-MAX was 2.45 inches. Unfortunately like I mentioned earlier these won't fit in the standard Tikka magazines which are 2.32 inches. A few different people claim that they tried to seat the 75 gr A-MAX so that it would fit in the standard magazine but they lost 120-130ft in velocity.

I did a bunch of googling for fix's to the problem and eventually found something that looks really good.

http://www.aihpa.com/Sponsor/Tikka_T3_Mag_Options/Tikka_T3_Mag_Options.htm

These magazines look really nice so I ordered one. They allow me to use a COAL of up to 2.6 inches. Funnily enough the guy lives in the same state in Australia that I am from so I should have it on Thursday. Apparently he sells quite a lot of them to people in the states and all over the world. I'll post an update later on how well it works. I don't want to feed them singularly because I am also using the rifle for varminting.

Also I tested out some Hornady 55 gr soft points and they seemed to do relatively well. After I got my rifle sighted in I shot a couple of groups. The first had a flier that pushed the group out to 0.98MOA. The other three bullets were right on top of each other in the bull. I shot another 4 shot group shortly after and it measured 0.56MOA. I'm very happy with that. I have a feeling the flier in the first group was my fault so I'd be interested to test out the 55 gr ammo again later with my own hand loads.

Next time I test my ammo I'll take some photos. My scope is mounted properly now as well. My local gunsmith brought it back a bit, bore sighted and leveled it. Was only 3 inches out at 100 when I started sighting it in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts