Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a browning xbolt 300 win mag and I've heard multiple things on how to shoot it ive heard I need to wrestle it in and pull down and I've also been told to treat it the same way as a smaller caliber.. m not too sure but id assume I should just be bringing it in on my shoulder pocket and with the muzzle break it shouldn't have any real vertical recoil id assume. Any and all tips are welcome.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have 3 300WMs and I did develop a flinch when I first started shooting it some 35 years ago. The first was a Sako Fin Bear picked up at Rhine Mien airbase Rod and gun club. No brake. I did some dry fire exercises to verify the crosshairs were still on target at click. I also dropped the trigger pull to about 2.5 lbs. Not saying it’s right but it worked for me. Newton’s law, you push a 180gr bullet at 2960fps it’s going to give a heathy push. The way I got used to it was practice. A brake will help a lot in your case. Didn’t know about them back then...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well when you shoot you do pull down? And I've never shot mine without the break yet I should to see how much i should be thankful of the break

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I just hold steady on target not up or down.. I remember a deer I shot in SC. I hit just above the heart and it ran towards my buddy who was in the next ravine over. He dropped the deer with double 00 buck shot to the neck. Point is the 300 blasted a 1” hole through it. A 300 might be a bit overkill for deer unless you’re looking for long range shots in big county.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts