Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of having a custom do-everything 1911 built, and I'm considering using as many Titanium parts as possilbe. Most of these would be Caspian, and would include:

Frame
Mainspring housing
Grip safety
Firing pin

The rest of the parts would be stainless steel. The pistol would be 5 inch gov't length, most likely a .38 Super or 9x19mm.

The question is, is a Titanium frame and other parts durable enough to stand up to lots of use? If the frame is going to crack at 20k rounds, then I'll just go stainless all the way through. I don't want to destroy an expensive custom pistol after a year or two of heavy competition use.

Thoughts? Experiences? General Comments?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hear titanium doesn't disipate heat very well. Heard this from someone at an Infantry Conference in Ft. Benning that had a titainium 120mm mortar on display in 97 I think.
I have a titanium taurus tracker .357, but the barel is stainless with a titanium housing. Have had it for at least 5 years with no problems.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Bead - I'm not so sure Ti is where you want to be for a full-blown competition 1911. I would go with 7075 Aluminum ot stainless steel.

But, I'm not the guy you need to talk to give Ted Yost a call at Yost-Bonitz. He builds the best out there, and will not blow smoke in your ear to sell you anything. I talked with him las night about my 2 carry 1911s that he is building. Willing to listen and actually hears what the buyer wants before he makes suggestions.

contact ted here

http://www.yost-bonitz.com/index2.shtml

JeffVN

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys.

I like Titanium in a competition pistol for 2 reasons: its corrosion resistance, and its lighter weight. A 1911 set up the way I want it comes dangerously close to the weight limit in the ESP division of IDPA. Titanium helps give me some margin here, and several decent shooters use Titanium frame ESP guns. That being said, aluminum would be less expensive...and competition guns have a limited lifespan as it is. If I can make the weight limit, I'll go stainless.

Rem69- interesting about the heat dissipation, I hadn't heard of that before.

Jeffvn- I've heard of Ted Yost before, I agree, he builds great guns. You'll have to let us know how yours turn out! 8) I've considered him...and he has experience with Ti frames.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts