Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The price... :lol:

Who is making supressors in titanium? Do they have a website with more detailed information?

BC

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A swedich company named poof-tech makes them. They weigh 0.35 kg, compared to 0.65 kg if it was made in steal. But they cost about twice as
much as a steal surpressor.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Thanks for the website and info.

BC

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jet makes Ti suppressors. They aren't cheap and there are better cans available. we are prototyping cans right now. You will see them coming up in either Guns and Weapons or Special Weapons by Al Paulson. I don't want to say too much other than we have tested what we feal is the best and ours beats them. I'm not just saying that because it's ours...........I'm telling you because it's fact. We can make them out of Titanium as well. Some of the prototypes were made from Ti.

Projected price on the Steel ones are $950
Titanium ones should be about $1150???

Titanium is great for corrosion resistance and strength. Is it worth the extra cash? I say yes but only your wallet will decide that.

Jered
Patriot Arms Inc.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Im still waiting for one with some kind of fluting or coating... somthing that helps expell heat. The supressor is so dang thin compared to a barrel that it glows red on a SAW or M-4... that isnt good when its night time. Nice big red glowing target...

BC

·
Registered
54 Posts
fluting won't do anything but raise the price and make it look cool. High end ceramic or carbon fiber will do the trick however carbon fiber is fragile and the ceramics in question are way to costly.......ceramic paint won't cut the mustard.

If you are firing your saw enough to make the can cherry red I think they will already have a good idea where you are.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Titanium saves weight and what the average person would call a "strong" metal.

Titanium can flex and return to true under stress conditions. One of the reasons it is so expensive is because any welding or bonding must be done in a oxygen free environment.

Other than the weight, I can't see an incredible benefit. Just me talkin' here. I'm a welder, not a Sniper.

BC, ever try a heat sync compound, sorta like what welders use when they're welding on something thin that has stuff you don't want to get burned on the other side?

May be worth a try. They should have it at larger hardware stores, feel free to blow up any welding supply shop you find that doesn't have it.

-snowy

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
patriot said:
If you are firing your saw enough to make the can cherry red I think they will already have a good idea where you are.
Yea true... tracers point both ways. Just with standard M-855 ammo though the muzzle flash and noise isnt loud at all with the 32db supressor attached. The problem is... the supressor add's weight to the end of the SAW barrel... which is allready pretty thin and sufferes from barrel whip... the can just add's to the barrel whip problem. It does help indoors however... especially with the 10" shorty SAW barrels on the SPW and PARA SAW's.

Now... the problem i mentioned with the glowin supressor was not necisarilly during firing. It stays pretty dang hot for a few minutes... so even after the operator fires off a bunch of ammo in a fury (shock force center peel for example) and is now trying to evac the area... that glowing red supressor (and barrel) make a nice target at night.

BC

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Hey BC,

Did a little digging and you may want to try "Form-A-Shield Heat Barrier." It is a spray on heat sync compound.

You could also try attaching some Silicaflex to the tip. It should keep that cherry from being seen. It won't keep the heat down, but it should be able to cover it without a problem and not burn off.

-snowy

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Problem is... im only allowed to clean it... and paint it with approved paints (removeable paint). No permanant spray type stuff. (since technically its not mine)

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
BC, would you be allowed to use a personally owned can?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sure... but i dont own one. And when im "abusing" it like that... id rather not dump $1,000 on a supressor and put it on a SAW. The supressor does get "messed up" over time when put through such abuses...

BC

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Half the value of a MG is for suppressive fire, making a loud noise etc... why on Earth would you want to suppress one?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
So the enemy has a more difficult time finding out where its comming from... and so that all the insurgents within hearing range ( of a normal SAW ) of me dont hear it... so that i dont go deaf while firing a SAW indoors... theres no point in supressing all the rifles if your going to have a SAW rippin rounds off and alerting all the enemy within a mile of the firefight.

BC

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

I don't really see why you would be fireing a minimi indoors, but if such a situation was aunavoideable I would advise putting hearing protection on.

I really do not see the point in all the rifles having suppressors. Sure have one or two, so that you can deal with sentries, but quite frankly you speak of drawing out the insurgents into the open as though it is a bad thing! Surely that is the idea!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Anyone can feel free to chime in and correct me.
I believe BC is Force Recon.

I'm sure the reason his MG has a ca on it is a very real and well thought out one.

We're not talking about a redneck shooting a rusted Edsel in his backyard here.

-snowy

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

snowy said:
I believe BC is Force Recon.

We're not talking about a redneck shooting a rusted Edsel in his backyard here.
What a blatant contradiction!

(J/k BC :D )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts